More than four decades after it was introduced, the full manual Canon FTb remains one of the best 35mm SLR cameras for beginners, and also for those who want full exposure control over their film snaps.
Introduced in March 1971, Canon FTb was made to replace the Canon FT QL and launched alongside the company’s top-of-the-line 35mm SLR camera, the Canon F-1. Both the upscale F-1 and the mass-market FTb were compatible with both the new Canon FD lens mount and the earlier FL-mount (stop-down metering mode). Intended as a camera for advanced amateur photographer, the FTb shared many of F-1’s basic features and build quality, except for interchangeable prisms, focusing screens, and motor drives.
- Type: 35mm focal-plane shutter SLR camera
- Picture Size: 24 × 36 mm
- Normal Lens: Canon 55mm f/1.2, FD 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8
- Lens Mount: FD mount
- Shutter: Two-axis, horizontal-travel focal-plane shutter with cloth curtains. X, B, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 sec. Built-in self-timer (self-timer lever also functions as a stop-down lever). Multiple exposures enabled.
- Flash Sync: FP- and X-sync automatic-switching sync contacts with German socket.
- Viewfinder: Fixed eye-level pentaprism. 0.85x magnification and 94% coverage. Microprism rangefinder at center of fresnel matte screen. Metering indicator, exposure match needle, stopped-down metering needle, and low-light warning provided. A diagonally-cut condenser lens block is semi-silvered on the diagonal surface. This beam splitter enables the incoming light to be split for the viewfinder image and metering cell. Mirror lockup provided.
- Exposure Control: CdS cell for TTL full-aperture, match-needle partial metering at center or TTL stopped-down, match-needle partial metering at center (12% of center). Metering range at ISO 100 and f/1.4: EV 2.5 – 18. Film speed range from ISO 25 to 2000. Battery check provided.
- Film Loading & Advance: QL (Quick Loading) and auto loading after camera back is closed. Advances with camera-top lever’s 174 stroke (partial strokes enabled). Ready position at 21.
- Frame Counter: Counts up from 0 to 40. Resets automatically when camera back is opened
- Film Rewind: Camera-top crank
- Power Source: One 1.3 V HD mercury cell
- Dimensions & Weight: 144 × 93 × 43 mm, 750 g
You may also want to check out duringmyheyday’s Canon FTb review to find out more about this SLR camera!