A street photographer favorite, the Ricoh GR21 is an award-winning compact film camera lauded for its simple yet elegant design and exceptional 21mm lens. Read on to find out more about this impressive compact shooter!
Introduced by Ricoh in 2001, the GR21 was the last 35mm film model for the Ricoh GR series. While sporting the same compact look of the GR1, the GR21 was equipped with an impressive 21mm f/3.5 lens (9 elements, 6 groups), which made it the world’s first 35mm compact camera to boast of a super-wide angle lens. For this and many other useful features, the GR21 won the hearts of many street photographers and compact fans, and earned the Technical Image Press Association’s (TIPA) Best Prestige Camera Award in 2001.
- Type: 35mm autofocus Lens shutter camera
- Lens: GR Lens 21 mm F3.5 (9 elements, 6 groups) multi-coating aspherical glass lens elements
- Focusing: Passive-type multi-autofocus with focus lock and 3-point indication, automatic auxiliary AF light under low lighting
- Focusing Mode: Infinity Mode. Single AF Mode. Snap Mode. Fixed Focus Mode. Distance measuring range; 0.3 m (1 ft.) – infinity
- Shutter: Programmed electronic shutter
- Shutter Speeds: Programmed AE – approx. 2 – 1/500 sec.; Aperture Priority AE – approx. 2 – 1/250 sec. Time Exposure Mode
- Viewfinder: Reverse galilean type with LCD bright frame, in-viewfinder illumination under low light
- Viewfinder Field of View Factor: 83%
- Viewfinder Magnification: 0.33
- Viewfinder Diopter: -1dpt.
- Exposure Control: Programmed AE. Aperture Priority AE. Dual SPD Photocell. Automatic flash for back light subjects up to 3.0 m (9.8 ft.). Auto Bracket Mode.
- Exposure Coupling Range: EV 2.5 – 17 (ISO 100)
- Exposure Compensation: -2 to +2 EV (1/2 EV steps)
- Film Speed: ISO 25 – 3200, compatible with DX code system. Non-DX films are set to ISO 100. Manual ISO setting possible (1/3 EV steps)
- Film Loading: Ricoh auto-load pre-wind system. Film pre-winds to the last frame number when back cover is closed. Mid-roll rewind is possible.
- Film Counter: Electronic, counts down number of exposures left
- Built-in Flash: Electronic flash that automatically adjusts light amount to ambient light conditions. Automatic flash for dim light and back light conditions. Automatic soft flash for subject at close range.
- Flash Modes: Auto Flash Mode. Flash-on Mode. Flash-off Mode. Slow Synchro Mode. Red-eye Reduction Mode.
- Flash Range: ISO 100 reversal film – 0.3 – 1.6 m (1 – 5.4 ft.); ISO 400 reversal film – 0.3 – 3.3 m (1 – 10.7 ft.); ISO 100 negative film – 0.3 – 2.3 m (1 – 7.5 ft.); ISO 400 negative film – 0.3 – 4.6 m (1 – 15. 1 ft.)
- Flash Recycle Time: About 5 sec.
- Self-Timer: Built-in 10-seconds digital timer, operation indicated by LED
- Auto Power Off: Approx. 5 mins. after operation
- Power Source: 1 × 3V lithium battery (CR2 or equivalent)
- Other Features: Cable release socket, Synchro terminal, Date imprinting, 30.5mm filter attachable
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 117 × 64 × 26.5 mm (4.6 × 2.5 × 1 in.) (not including lens barrel); 117 × 64 × 38.5 mm (4.6 × 2.5 × 1.5 in.) (including lens barrel)
- Mass/Weight: 200 g (7.2 oz.) without battery
Optional Accessories: 30.5 mm filters (PL, MC – Y2, MC – 1B, 6x – Cross, MC-ND4). Electrical cable release.