Canon's first truly profressional-grade SLR system, the F-1 was produced by the Japanese camera maker in March 1971. Find out more about this camera in this installment of Lomopedia!
The Canon F-1 was a 35mm SLR camera made by Canon in Japan from March 1971 until a slightly updated version called the F-1n was introduced in 1976. The new Canon FD lens mount was also introduced with the F-1, but it can also accommodate Canon FL-mount lenses, but without open-aperture metering. R-series lenses could also be equipped but functions are limited. The Canon F-1 was marketed to compete with Nikon F and F2 SLR cameras.
The Canon F-1 also supported many various accessories and interchangeable parts and had one of the largest set of accessories ever produced for 35mm SLRs.
- Type: 35mm single-lens reflex (SLR) camera
- Format: 24 × 36mm
- Interchangeable Lenses: Canon FD (for full-aperture metering) and Canon FL, R and non-FD (for stopped-down metering) series lenses
- Standard Lenses: FD 50mm f/1.4 and FD 50mm f/1.8
- Lens Mount: Bayonet type FD mount. FL and R series of lenses mountable.
- Function: FD lenses – full aperture metering, coupled with automatic diaphragm. FL Lenses – Stopped-down metering, coupled with automatic diaphragm. R lenses – Stopped-down metering, manually operated diaphragm.
- Viewfinder: Removable pentagonal prism finder. Interchangeable with Servo EE Finder, Booster T Finder, Speed Finder, Waist-level Finder.
- Finder Attachments: Angle Finder B, Magnifier, Dioptric Adjustment Lenses, Eyecup.
- Focusing Screen: Using Fresnel lens, standard focusing glass with microprism screen rangefinder and three other interchangeable kinds. With metering beam-splitting condenser.
- Field-of-view: 97% of actual picture area. 0.77x with standard 50mm lens at infinity.
- Finder information: Meter needle and aperture needle, outside shutter speed coupling range indicator, fixed dot for stopped-down metering use and battery check mark, shutter speed scale, metering limit marks.
- Dioptric Adjustment Lenses: Standard – 1.2 diopter (R-1). Interchangeale with R + 3, R + 2, R + 1, RO, R – 2, R – 3, and R – 4
- Mirror: Quick return mirror with shock-absorbing mechanism. Mirror can be fixed in upper position. Aperture is manually operated when mirror is fixed in upper position.
- Shutter: Focal plane shutter using super thin titanium screen. Designed for elimination of functioning noise. Shutter release button can be locked.
- Shutter Speed Dial: Single shaft non-revolving type with shutter scales and ASA film speed scales. Two coupling pins for setting attachments are provided.
- Shutter Speeds: B, 1 – 1/2000. Multiple series. Equiinterval index. X contact at “60.”
- Film Speed Scale: ASA 25 -2000
- Self-Timer: Built-in. Activate with shutter release button. Approx. 10 sec. time lag. Self-timer lever is used in common as stopped-down functioning lever.
- Exposure Adjusting Mechanism: Built-in. Using CdS photocell. Coupled to shutter speeds, film speeds and f/stop. Match needle type TTL full aperture measuring mechanism. Semi-spot metering system, measures 12% of picture area. Stopped-down metering possible. Fixed dot type metering using stopped-down functioning lever. Locking of the lever possible.
- Exposure Meter Coupling Range: With ASA 100 film, EV 2.5 (f/1.2 at 1/4 sec.) – EV 18 (F/11 at 1/2000 sec.). Meter information window turns red when outside of coupling range.
- Meter Battery: One 1.3 v M20 (625) mercury battery used.
- Battery Checker: Built in. Check at ASA 100, shutter speed at 1/2000 sec.
- TTL Full Aperture Metering System EE: Uses exclusive Servo EE Finder and Battery Case in combination. Full aperture metering with FD lens. Shutter priority type EE. Functioning range; with ASA 100 film, EV 2.5 (f/1.2 at 1/4 sec.) – EV 18 (f/11 at 1/2000 sec.).
- Ultra-low Illumination Metering: Metering possible, with ASA 100 film, between EV 15 (f/22 at 1/60 sec.) and EV – 3.5 (f/1.2 at 15 sec) with use of exclusive Booster T Finder.
- Synchronized Flash: FP and X contact. Automatic time lag adjusting type.
Flash Socket: On side body. Two contacts on film rewind knob for flash circuit for directly connected adapter, and meter circuit.
- Canon Auto Tuning (CAT) System: Diaphragm control by recharge completion signal and focusing distance signal. Proper aperture is established by the meter matching needle system through the connection of the Speedlite 133D, Flash Auto Ring, Flash Coupler L and prescribed FD 50mm F 1.4, FD 50mm F 1.8, or FD 35mm F 2 lens.
- Synchronizing Range: FP class; 1/2000 – 1/125 sec. and 1/30 or under. Speedlite; 1/60 sec. or under. M, MF class; 1/30 sec or under.
- Film Loading: With multi-slit film spool
- Film Winding: Short-stroke winding possible. Single operation 180 degrees winding lever. Play; 15 degrees.
- Film Rewinding: Performed by rewind button and crank.
- Double Exposure: Possible by operating film rewind button.
- Back Cover: Crank pull-up type. Removable for Film Chamber 250.
- Bottom Cover: Crank pull-up type. Removable for Film Chamber 250.
- Frame Counter: Self-resetting type activated by opening back cover.
- Accessory Shoe: Exclusive. Flash Couplers D, L, and other couplers can be attached.
- Size: 98.7 × 146.7 × 43mm
- Weight: Body – 820 g (1.80 lbs.). With FD 50mm F 1.4 Lens; 1, 180 g (2.60 lbs.).