One of the cameras coveted by medium format fans is the Asahi Pentax 6x7 introduced in 1969, with upgraded versions later renamed Pentax 67. Find out more about this beautiful medium format SLR camera in this installment of Lomopedia!
The original Asahi Pentax 6×7 was introduced in 1969, said to have been inspired by the East German 6×5 KW Praktisix released in 1957, and its successor, the Pentacon Six introduced in 1959. It looks like a traditional 35mm SLR camera, only noticeably bigger and heavier (weighs 2.3 kilograms when equipped with the plain prism and standard lens), making some photographers refer to it as a “Super SLR.” It takes 120 films which yield 10 exposures, and 220 films which yield 20 exposures. It has its own dual bayonet lens mount which accommodates a wide range of interchangeable Takumar lenses.
An upgraded version that came with a mirror-up mechanism was introduced in 1976 (Pentax 6×7 MU), and improved versions named Pentax 67 and 67II were released in 1990 and 1999 respectively.
- Type: Ideal-format single-lens reflex
- Film & picture size: 120 roll-film (10 exposures); 220 roll-film (20 exposures); 55mm x 70mm (2-1/4″ × 2-3/4")
- Standard Lens: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/6×7 105mm f/2.4; 6 elements; fully-automatic diaphragm; 67mm filter size; minimum focusing distance of 1 meter (3.3 feet)
- Shutter: Electronically-timed, double-curtain focal-plane shutter; X, B, 1 to 1/1000 sec; powered with a 6V silver oxide battery (Eveready #544 or Mallory PX28)
- Reflex mirror: Swing-back-and-up type instant return mirror
- Lens mount: Two coaxial bayonet mounts; inner bayonet for lenses from 35mm to 300mm, and outer bayonet for lenses from 400mm to 1000mm.
- Flash synchronization: FP and X terminals; electronic flash synchronization at 1/30 sec.
- Standard viewfinder: Detachable pentaprism housing with interchangeable eyepiece
- Dimensions: 184mm (width) x 149mm (height) x 156mm (depth) with standard lens
- Weight: Body – 1,290 grams (45.5 ozs.); Standard lens – 630 grams (22.2 ozs.); Pentaprism housing – 460 grams (16.2 ozs.)