Introduced in 1999, the Voigtländer Bessa L was the first camera model manufactured by Cosina Co., Ltd. under the Voigtländer brand name.
The Bessa L is a scale focus camera body with a screw thread mount and through-the-lens (TTL) metering. It was introduced with 15mm and 25mm Voigtländer 39mm screw lenses, but it is also compatible with other screw mount lenses. It possesses no built-in viewfinder; but since it is originally designed to be used with ultra-wide angle lenses, this is not a handicap. The camera was officially discontinued in May 2003.
- Format: 35mm
- Lens mount: Leica screw mount
- Shutter speed: 1 – 1/2000, B
- Flash: Standard PC connection
- Self-timer: Mechanical; 10 sec.
- Batteries (for metering): 2x LR44/SR44 batteries
- Dimensions: 135.5 mm x 78.5 mm x 33.5 mm