Among the list of Soviet analogue favorites is the FED rangefinder line, which eventually became known as Leica II clones. Let's take a look at the FED-5 in this installment of Lomopedia.
The 35mm rangefinder camera FED-5 is part of the FED rangefinder line manufactured by the factory of the same name in Kharkov, Ukraine. It was produced from 1977 to 1996 as an upgraded version of the FED-4, designed to look cleaner from the top. Changes such as a pop-up rewind knob in place of the thumb wheel, a hot shoe, and restyled meter rings and frame counter/film ISO reminder were also made.
- Lens: standard lens Industar-61 L/D 53mm f/2.8 (ИНДУСТАР-61 Л/Д), interchangeable, 39mm Leica screw mount, filter size 40.5mm
- Aperture: f/2.8 – f /22 setting: ring and scale on the lens
- Focus range: 1-20m +infinity
- Focusing: matching yellow rangefinder images in the viewfinder
- Shutter: rubberized silk double cloth curtain, horizontaly moving focal-plane shutter
- Speeds: 1-1/500 +B
- Cocking lever: also winds the film, short stroke, retractable, on the right of the top plate
- Frame counter: coupled with the cocking lever, advance type, auto-resets
- Viewfinder: coupled viewfinder/rangefinder, w/ Diopter correction ring, around eyepiece
- Exposure meter: uncoupled Selenium cell sensor, metering by a needle window on the top-plate
- Exposure setting: Set the film speed on the large dial. Even though the speeds on the dial are in GOST, just set the ASA value; Point the camera to the scene you want to photograph; Look through the light meter window to see which number the needle indicates; Turn the light meter dial until the silver number underneath corresponds with the number from needle window; Read off the suitable shutter speed and aperture combinations and set the camera accordingly
- Rewinding: a pop-up small chrome knob at the centre of the exposure / ASA setting dial, push and turn to left for pop-up
- Self-timer: activates with a small knob above it
- Flash: PC sync socket, flash sync up to 1/30s
- Memory dial: on the knob of the cocking lever
- Back cover: removable with the bottom plate, opens by two pop-up semi-circle levers on the bottom plate
- Tripod socket: 1/4"
- Weight: 720g