Anybody having second thoughts on getting this beast of a camera should definitely reconsider. If you like ultra-wide lenses, then this golden boy is beyond any doubt the camera for you!
Like most of you, I was eagerly counting down to the last second when LSI announced the LC-Wide last May. And what a beauty this camera was. Boasting a new 17mm Minigon lens with an amazing 103 degrees angle of view, but still retaining its classic looks. As we Filipinos would say, “GWAPO!”, meaning handsome. It was a very easy decision to get this camera on the merits of its lens alone.
Some people have been saying that $400 is too expensive for this. Personally, I say nay! Let me remind you all that this is a 17mm lens on a full-frame compact camera (generally, ultra-wide lenses are very, very expensive). Plus, we get 3 great shooting modes and endless panorama.
What I like:
- Ultra-Wide 17mm (I cannot stress this enough!)
- Gorgeous vignettes, stunning vivid colors (compared to the LC-A+, this camera is definitely sharper and the colors are much more intense.)
- Easy switching from full frame to half frame in the middle of a roll of film.
- Endless panorama
- Short minimum focusing distance (0.4m). GET REALLY CLOSE. When in doubt, go closer!
- Easy focusing with only 2 focusing ranges (0.4m-0.8m and 0.8-infinity) which means there’s a 50-50 chance that you will get correct focusing every time you take a picture.
What I don’t like:
- The lens is much wider than the viewfinder. What you see in the viewfinder is not the same with what you’ll get from the lens.
- Be mindful of your fingers, they may come into frame.
- Using the attachments to make use of the 3 shooting modes (I ended up not using the attachments at all).
Bottom line is when you’re thinking of getting an LC-A+, why not consider an LC-Wide instead. Great ultra-wide lens, plus you still get the same qualities we love from the LC-A+. Once you go wide, you won’t go back!
The Lomo LC-Wide boasts the newly-developed 17mm Minigon Ultra-Wide Angle lens. This 35mm camera wonder is the perfect companion for your photo expeditions. It produces eye-catching splashes of color with astonishing saturation and contrasts with the added versatility of 3 different formats. Open up to a new photographic experience with the LC-Wide, available in our Shop.