Monday Moodboard: Hello, Canon A-1!

Three months into the New Year, I can finally tick off the most crucial item in my analogue resolutions list for 2014. Yesterday afternoon, I finally got a “new” old SLR to replace my broken Minolta α-7700i from the good ol’ streets of Hidalgo in Quiapo – a Canon A-1.

It’s been five years since I last used a film SLR, so this latest development of sorts is an exciting one for me. Summer has recently started here in the Philippines, which means there are trips already lined up in which I can practice using my latest acquisition. I downloaded the camera’s manual as soon as I got home yesterday evening; there sure is a lot to learn!

The Canon A-1 is actually one of the SLR models that I’ve had my eye on. I didn’t think I’d find the A-1 in Hidalgo, so when I saw it on display at one of the stores (I found the Yashica Electro 35 and a Canon Canonet first so I was thinking which to get between the two initially) and learned that it’s still fully functional (and only at Php 3,300 at that – roughly about US$75), it honestly took only a little convincing before I finally decided on getting it.

By getting myself an SLR, accomplishing the rest of my analogue resolutions would now be fuss-free!

Allow me to wrap up this piece with this selection of lovely photos taken with the Canon A-1 by fellow lomographers. I sure would be adding mine to this bunch soon!

written by chooolss

1. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

Congratulations! :D

9 months ago · report as spam
  2. chooolss

chooolss

Thank you @plasticpopsicle! And thank you, too, @cheeo for liking! :D

9 months ago · report as spam
  3. beblo

beblo

It's like buying a 40 year old car, have it serviced first before driving. For a camera and lens, it's called Clean Lubricate Adjust. The purpose of CLA is to bring the camera and lens back to factory condition. As close as possible. Select the best person to do the job.

7 months ago · report as spam
  4. beblo

beblo

You could try CANON first, since they made the camera in the first place. And I trust, you will write an article about this.

7 months ago · report as spam
  5. chooolss

chooolss

@beblo Hello! Yes, the camera has already been CLA'd when I bought it last March. I've been using it since and fortunately it's working perfectly fine. I'm just not sure what article you'd like me to write about, though?

7 months ago · report as spam
  6. beblo

beblo

Good morning Miss chooolss. How about writing about the following topics: 1. The first Royal Photography Convention held in England in the middle part of the year of 1800. 2. How about a short interview with the person who CLA (ed) your CANON A-1? What is the purpose of this CLA? 3. What was the reason, behind the development of the film camera in the 1800s?

You don't have to really write about this, but I think it will be very informative to most of the people reading the lomography magazine. Thank you for your response, Miss chooolss.

7 months ago · report as spam
  7. beblo

beblo

By the way, there is one more topic that I think will be very interesting to true artists here. It is about the art works and style of painting by a man from the Venetian school, named, Titian.

7 months ago · report as spam
  8. chooolss

chooolss

@beblo thank you for your suggestions, we'll look into it.

7 months ago · report as spam
  9. beblo

beblo

You're welcome, Miss chooolss.

7 months ago · report as spam