Why do you love film photography?

It's such a simple and straight-forward question that every film photographer gets asked, but the answers can be a bit different yet interesting per analogue-loving individual. Whether you're a total beginner, an intermediate shooter, or an expert snapper, we want you to tell us why you keep shooting with film!

For every skeptic or non-enthusiast who says that film is either dead or dying, there will be an ardent analogue lover or two who will assert that passion for film. Much has already been said about why film is awesome and why it’s here to stay, but still, everyone who gets ushered into this awesome realm of photography seem to find a thousand more reasons to fall in love with it.

So we’re curious — what do YOU love about analogue photography and what keeps you shooting with film? What is it about old cameras that makes you want to search high and low for them? Why do you think the wait for your film photos is truly worth it? What is it about all the quirky imperfections that you try to do them over and over? Why do you keep believing in film despite the taunts of some that it won’t be here for long?

While you might have already confessed your love for film countless times, it wouldn’t hurt to reaffirm it. So, why don’t you tell us why you love film and still shoot with it by leaving a comment below? It doesn’t matter if everyone else has said it before; we’re still itching to know!

written by plasticpopsicle

1. guanatos

guanatos

I love shooting film because it makes me slow down and become waaaay more patient...

5 months ago · report as spam
  2. dermanu

dermanu

In contrast to Rule No. 6 cause it makes me think before I shoot.

5 months ago · report as spam
  3. photobarbie

photobarbie

Why I love shooting film: a summary.

1-I love the unexpected surprises: light leaks, color fluctuations of expired film, camera quirks
    2-Waiting for your film to come back is like waiting for Christmas day when you were a child. I like to do it over and over again.
    3-Toy cameras and film cameras have their unique personalities. It's fun to experiment and see what they can do in different situations and with different emulsions.
    4-Digital is easy, I like a challenge sometimes.
    5-Shooting film isn't cheap, neither is developing, so this helps me think before I shoot. (I know it's not very lomography like to say this but it's true. I think about whether to press the button or not at times.
    6-It is utterly exciting to receive your prints and then find that one or two or sometimes entire roll that just blows you away.
    7-Film has it's own personality as well. Personally I love the grain from high speed films, I love the color saturation from crossing slide film, I love the way Fuji gives such beautiful greens and blues, and I love the way Kodak gold gives warm tones and crisp sharpness.
    8-Carrying from above it's nice to choose the film and camera that goes along with the mood you want to capture on a particular day.
    9-Films and non digital cameras are classic to me. Who doesn't love a good classic?!
    10- Shooting with different cameras and film brings excitement to the moment. It teaches me to appreciate the light, the composition, the camera or film itself. Because you can capture the same moment so differently with the tools you've chosen for the day.

5 months ago · report as spam
  4. vadephotography

vadephotography

It's how I originally learned to shoot. There's a mystic to it that I've always loved. It warms my heart that film is still around and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.
    5 months ago · report as spam
  5. sassmastere

I love film because of the amount of love and effort that goes into getting a print! From shooting and developing film, to dozens of test strips and finally developing your print, every step is important! Also, nothing's better than starting off your day in the darkroom with a cup of coffee😍
    5 months ago · report as spam
  6. clownshoes

clownshoes

I really enjoy the work flow and the process.

5 months ago · report as spam
  7. shind

shind

Honestly, I never know, It may be the beautiful imperfection that comes with it, the slightly flaw and "not too clean" images and the many many mistakes you can make but most of the time, turns out to be quite alright. It also reflects the way we live our life isn't it? Imperfect, slightly flaw but beautiful. :)

5 months ago · report as spam
  8. dannykeighobadi

dannykeighobadi

I'd go with @photobarbie there, great summary fully supported.

5 months ago · report as spam
  9. ihave2pillows

ihave2pillows

It's the creative process that I enjoy. Perhaps because of the limited number of frames per film roll, I'm always crazier and more careful when shooting film. The fact that the films and the processing cost money, unlike a click of an iPhone, made me try to do things that digital can't.

4 months ago · report as spam
  10. erdalito

erdalito

Theres no substitute for film.
    4 months ago · report as spam
  11. willyb311

willyb311

I love shooting film because of the process - it's difficult to control, more demanding up front, you can't just always just point and shoot, you have to think. But, at the same time, it's natural and organic and the results are always a surprise. When it's all said and done, you are left with a unique creation on a physical medium that you can hold in your hand. There's nothing wrong with digital, but I'm in love with the process of planning to create, working to accomplish, and enjoying the unique results of each exposure. There's an adventure in every click of the shutter when you shoot with film.
    4 months ago · report as spam
  12. theoclunk

theoclunk

I suppose my love of film comes primarily from the qualities of it that one can never really define. I guess its potential to demonstrate the surreal naturally, whilst still portraying in a picture an uncommon sense of realism is something that makes film as a medium particularly addictive. I feel the greatness of black and white, although I only use film, can be achieved in digital also. But the distinctive colour of certain films, or just colour film in general (particularly using x-pro), is something that digital cannot replicate without various camera settings or photoshop. And even then it is nowhere near the same. The practical joys of it I guess are an overwhelming bonus to me. Pretentious as it all sounds, that shit is roughly how I feel about film, I think. I can never really pin my thoughts down or put my finger on what it is about it. It's just great stuff basically...

4 months ago · report as spam
  13. fadjaradiputra

fadjaradiputra

I love shooting film because long process (than digital) to have a good photo and that makes me always appreciate every frame I take.

4 months ago · report as spam
  14. ali-soofi

I shoot film because everytime before I expose I just see the image in my head and how im going to print it in darkroom. And when I am processing and im almost done before I take it out from the tank I close my eyes again then take the film out put it on the light box then I open my eyes because I want to see if what I have on the sheet is the same thing I had in my mind. Also there are other reasons. I love my 4x5 and I love it when I go somewhere it almost take me 30-45 min to set up find my composition and then wait for the right moment.
    3 months ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Nederlands, Français & Deutsch.