Lca_120_september_2014_header

Monday Moodboard: Romancing the Canon AE-1 Program

Back when I was still struggling to decide which film SLR camera to buy, I remember narrowing my choices to anything from Nikon or a Canon AE-1/AE-1 Program. Fate willed me to have a Nikon FE2 first, but like anyone with a chronic case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, I never stopped wanting to have this beauty.

Pardon the face, I was trying to be cool. I was truly, immensely happy to have the chance to grab this beauty at a very pocket-friendly price!

When I had the chance to get one for a good price, I went ahead and grabbed it.

It’s been nearly three months since I succumbed to GAS and grabbed a lovely Canon AE-1 Program. It shames me to admit that I haven’t given it as much analogue love as it truly deserves. However, I did not totally neglect it; I ran a test roll with it and got the shots below:

I’ve read a lot about it and seen some beautiful photos that it’s capable of taking, but I kind of lost my drive these past months and have only been shooting sporadically. But, seeing some impressive snaps my fellow lomographers have taken with this beauty, I now wonder why on Earth did I ever let myself get lazy:

Now, all I need to do is to load my Canon AE-1 Program and take it somewhere scenic to make up for lost time.

P.S.
I haven’t named this beauty yet — care to give him a name for me?

See more of Monday Moodboard articles here.

written by plasticpopsicle

1. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

I love all your lovely Canon AE-1 Program photos, @molivche, @iddqdima, @maria_vlachou, @fafascinado, @earlybird, @mnella, @annelie, @ankos, and @amkatya! :D

11 months ago · report as spam
  2. iddqdima

iddqdima

wOW!

11 months ago · report as spam
  3. jillytanrad

jillytanrad

"I haven’t named this beauty yet — care to give him a name for me?" --- George. Boy George.

11 months ago · report as spam
  4. ajagee24701

ajagee24701

@plasticpopsicle Such great shots! I love SLR's, but for some reason I get so many blurred results, maybe I am not holding perfectly still? Any advice? Also, name suggestion: Bamboo, Atlas, or Compass.

11 months ago · report as spam
  5. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

@jillytanrad Boy George? Haha no thanks! :))

@ajagee24701 Thanks! I think you just need to check your shutter speed whenever you're shooting with SLR cameras, especially those that are fully manual/allow you to go full manual. Some SLR cameras like the Canon AE-1 Program have a so-called "Program Mode" where the camera selects the aperture and shutter speed (based on the ISO and meter readings) for you. The AE-1 Program also has a shutter priority mode wherein the camera selects the best aperture according to the shutter speed and ISO you selected (this I have tried for many of my shots above, the Program Mode not so much yet). Others have aperture priority modes wherein the camera selects (and displays through the meter) the best shutter speed according to the aperture and ISO that you selected.

Also, Atlas sounds nice! Thanks! :)

11 months ago · report as spam
  6. ajagee24701

ajagee24701

@plasticpopsicle Thanks, I have been using the automatic settings on my Minolta X-700, if I were to use a fast shutter speed but a high aperture do you think that would even things out?

11 months ago · report as spam
  7. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

@ajagee24701 You should use a larger aperture (smaller f-number) when shooting with faster shutter speeds to compensate for shorter exposure time. Go ahead and try it out, and good luck! :)

11 months ago · report as spam