Something Old & New Is Coming Soon! The Lomography Mystery Product: Part 3

We're getting closer and closer to giving you a first look at our mystery product, are you guys excited as we are? Here we go again with another clue!

Take one good look at the photo and see if you can guess this time. If you missed our previous teasers, you can hop back to these posts for the clues. Please share your thoughts in the comments!

written by tomas_bates

1. stonerfairy

stonerfairy

A new pinhole camera ala Konstruktor from Lomo?

2. mlinh

definitely a lens, able to defocus the background
  3. blueskyandhardrock

blueskyandhardrock

Definitely a Petzval lens

4. djramsay

djramsay

But for which camera???

5. holgardo

holgardo

I'm sure @blueskyandhardrock is right, but the true mistery is stated by @djramsay : which camera?

6. wesco

wesco

Luscious amounts of bokeh as showed in these samples can be reached by either a large aperture (small f-number) or by using a tele lens. Or a combination of both, which might be the most feasible for LSI to make an affordable lens. Petzval design as suggested looks a reasonable Lomo solution. Nice for portraits!

With a large aperture you need will need a proper way to set te right distance because of the short Depth-of-Field, so the SLR concept of the Konstruktor seems the most likely camera for this type of lens. My guess: a plastic Petzval lens, 85 or 105 mm, f2.8 or maybe f4, for the Konstruktor, price maybe between € 50 and € 80?

7. wesco

wesco

Hang on, the Konstruktor has a fixed shutter speed, so you will then have to use it with iso 100 film only I guess. Aperture will then be more likely around f4 to prevent overexposure...

8. stratski

stratski

I'm guessing a Belair Petzval lens. Too bad, I'd have preferred a Konstuktor-lens.

9. raylemon

raylemon

@blueskyandhardrock @stratski after doing some research I also think it is definitely a Petzval lens. the distortion at the side and the vignetting. The clues are very very straightforward

10. clickiemcpete

clickiemcpete

I agree with Wesco. It has to be a telephoto type lens and the only camera it would be feasible with would be the Konstruktor since it is the only SLR type camera in the current lineup.

11. abecd

abecd

Just a random guess.... macro lens?

12. dux_x

dux_x

How about a Petzlar Lens with several adapters: konstructor, belair, M42, etc?

13. francois

francois

Only one thing that nags me somehow: this lens has to be attached to something!
    For me, this can only mean new camera!

14. nuo2x2

nuo2x2

pretty sure it's a petzval potrait lens, and I'm guessing it's a lens kit for Konstructor!! *so I got more reasons to start assemble one ^^'

15. yayoboy

yayoboy

è un teleobiettivo!

16. castiana

castiana

Petzval lens !

17. biblicalshower

biblicalshower

The thing with it being for the Konstructor, if it is, is that the Konstruktor's quoted 'f10' aperture mostly comes from the way the shutter is made. If you take the lens off one, you can see that the rear circle of the lens is much larger than that tiny little shutter. So the aperture of the lens itself is mostly irrelevant.

18. djramsay

djramsay

Petzval lens has to be linked to an SLR. Really looking forward to seeing the reveal :)

19. veato

veato

http://upload.wikime(…)Petzval.png I wonder what it's going to go on though. Maybe a whole new camera?

20. erikagrendel

erikagrendel

close up lenses :)))

21. jasontag

jasontag

my guess is a telephoto lens for the Konstrucktor :)))
  22. jasontag

jasontag

my guess is a telephoto lens for the Konstrucktor :)))
  23. iamtheju

iamtheju

I hope its a Petzval camera. The same way the fisheye is dedicated to fisheyeiness. A really simple, steampunk-looking SLR camera with a fixed on Petzval lens! Yes please!

24. robotmonkey1996

robotmonkey1996

That's some ugly bokeh.

25. saisai

saisai

A case for my Belair... no i m wrong

26. blazie

blazie

It's definitely a Petval lens/camera… likely for the Konstructor, if it's a lens. Does that have a common mount? Could I perhaps wind up using this lens on my Nikon? I love the effect of Petval lenses, but I'm too in love with my FM-10 to get another SLR!
  27. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack

I have no idea what a Petzval lens is. But based on the "hints" and what I see online that is what it appears to be, as you all have noted. I hope if it's a lens it's not for the Konstruktor. I'd love for it to be a standalone product or something for the Belair or similar. And within a reasonable price range.

28. herbert-4

herbert-4

Definitely a petzval lens, I hope in a large aperture in a dedicated camera in at least 6 x 12!! My grandmother had a huge, tin lunchbox camera called a Corona #115 that made 4 1/2 inch x 6 1/2 inch negs and whatever was not in focus was swirly. I think the lens was was f/9.5 to 64, maybe, and it had some shutter speeds and a focus wheel, too. As a 7y/o, I was required to take a picture with it, once. I got all the heads and feets in the picture as instructed. I saw the picture. It's was 1957 and it was all lost to time.

29. koduckgirl

koduckgirl

oh my goodness just tell us!...PLEASE! with sugar on top??

30. djramsay

djramsay

@saisai i too wish i had a case for my Belair

31. ennev

ennev

Sure not multi coated and aspherical. No triplet either. Someting sperical like in the 1890

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 한국어, Československy, Français, Spanish, 日本語, Deutsch, Türkçe, Nederlands, ภาษาไทย, Italiano, 中文(简体版), 中文(繁體版) & 中文(繁體版).