Lca_120_september_2014_header

Diana Cameras Saved from Burning House

Last weekend, I was waiting for my ice cream, reading a free Portuguese magazine called DIF when I spotted, not one, but two Diana cameras on its pages. And it turned out they had been rescued from an house on fire, or at least they would have, if there had actually been a fire. Learn about the Burning House Project and the astounding amount of cameras that it rescues.

It turns out DIF magazine (digital version is available on their website) was reporting on a blog project, created by the 24 year old American Foster Huntington, and that goes by the name of The Burning House. This project asks people a question and then publishes their answers:

“If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It’s a conflict between what’s practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question.”(Quote from the website)

The fact that I spotted two Diana F+ cameras immediately called to my attention, but then I went online to know more about this subject and was absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of analogue going on. All kinds of things are ‘salvaged’ in the pictures shown, but one very common element is definitely photography, in its majority analogue, and with a very big representation of Lomo Cameras.

The entire blog presents pictures that have been submitted from all over the world and it is a very interesting overview of different cultures, hobbies and people’s priorities.

This brings the question: What would you save?

The Diana F+ is a new twist on the ‘60s classic cult camera. Famous for its dreamy and soft-focused images, the Diana F+ is now packed with extra features such as panorama and pinhole capabilities. Available in our Online Shop.

written by blablabla-anab

1. breakingmyself

breakingmyself

Random knuckle dusters in there for good measure lol

2. moccappucino07

interesting !

3. ginny

ginny

Nice reading! It is too hard a question for me...

4. realmustache

realmustache

can't say i noticed anyone bothering to bring their negatives or external hard drives (except for those who bring their whole computer). i would let all my cameras burn for a chance to save my negatives

5. crowdizzle

crowdizzle

I like the black Kitty on the 18th picture. Sitting, politely screaming, "Me! DONT forget me!" :-P
    Aside from putting the flames out on my shirt from saving every living thing in the house, I would take my survival gear. Standard stuff,along with extras: pictures, a Teddy for my daughter, of course my cameras, solar universal charger, collapseable water bottles, etc...
    Basically, a survival bag and and extra bag fo keep my family calm and distracted so no one FREAKS OUT!haha...
    Hope we can start a project similar to this...
    Its interesting...

6. domo-guy

domo-guy

Whoah the green Supersampler looks so cool. ( O_O)!

7. ehmahh

ehmahh

amazing article! very interesting!

8. kenribasar

kenribasar

Interesting... I'll take all my 6 dogs out and if my family made it out well and fine otherwise my time would be spent saving them too... on the way out I'll pocket my wallet, my file with my important documents and of course my cameras and lens (if I have time).

9. guanatos

guanatos

I think the idea for the burning house project is pretty cool, but let's hope we don't really have to take that decition... The article is great, thanks for sharing

10. blablabla-anab

blablabla-anab

Wow!! What an amazing response from all of you :) Thank you all (@breakingmyself, @moccappucino07, @ginny, @crowdizzle, @domo-guy, @ehmahh, et all) so much!!

I agree with @kenribasar family comes first, and my negatives as well like @realmustache said.

@guanatos yes, I really hope it's a decision I really don't have to make, or anyone else really. Actually, let's abolish burning houses forever. There, that's done!!

11. guanatos

guanatos

@blablabla-anab That's the attitude! burning houses abolished ;)

12. natalieerachel

natalieerachel

Hahaha I love the cat in 18, but I have no idea what I would take...so many things to choose from!

13. 5rdura

Awsome article!
  14. robotmonkey1996

robotmonkey1996

Laptop
    Documents (passport, Dad's green card)
    Lomo LC-A (only camera I have capable of taking sharp pictures)

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch, 한국어 & Italiano.