Kodak, Please Don't Kill Slide Films!

Kodak discontinues ALL SLIDE FILMS! The announcement makes me angry and disappointed at Kodak. Everybody, please speak out about this, we still need Kodak Slide Films!

Here’s Kodak’s notice:
Due to a steady decrease in sales and customer usage, combined with highly-complex product formulation and manufacturing processes, Kodak is discontinuing three EKTACHROME (color reversal) Films:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME E100G Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME E100VS Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome Extra Color 100 Film (EBX)

We estimate that, based on current sales pace, supplies of these films are expected to be available in the market for the next six to nine months; however, inventories may run out before then, depending on demand. This does not affect KODAK PROFESSIONAL Color Negative Films or KODAK PROFESSIONAL Black and White Films, which remain a viable part of the KODAK PROFESSIONAL Film portfolio.

Kodak’s website

Kodak Professional’s Facebook

Do you believe Kodak’s reason for discontinuing ALL SLIDE FILMS? I DON’T!

Kodak uses the same excuse to explain why they discontinue a film’s production. However, Kodak said that “Film is still profit making” after applying for bankruptcy protection. But now, they’ve killed what we love and what we need!

Last time, I’ve already spoken up about Kodak that we need the EB3

Kodak didn’t listen last time, I wish everybody will speak up this time. It is our LAST CHANCE to save Kodak Slide Films! I hope everybody can share this article to all film lovers and encourage them to use any method they can to contact Kodak and tell them: WE NEED KODAK SLIDE FILMS!

You can also suggest to Kodak to sell the formula of these to companies who wish to continue its production, at least we can still keep Kodak Slide Films alive. Through e-mails, letters, phone calls or Facebook, tell Kodak you are sad and angry about this, and wish them not to commit suicide and kill film lovers’ analogue future!

Share/translate this article, encourage more and more film lovers to SPEAK OUT TO KODAK, and save our ANALOGUE FUTURE!

All films taken with Kodak Slide Films:

written by cwyeung

1. chethong

chethong

The worse part is, they announce a 15% price increase on the remaining stocks! Where is the love ?!

2. eva_eva

eva_eva

Please dont kill slide films, pleaseeee!!!

3. 86john

86john

@eva_eva, ask @lomography to buy Kodak or produce more slide films. XD

4. chethong

chethong

agree with @86john, same thing lomography did with the Tungsten film :P

5. iloveyousummer

iloveyousummer

again Hello fuji!

6. sedgetone

sedgetone

Amen @ilovesummer! I'll never buy Kodak again, Fujifilm and Ilford all the way from here on in.

7. ihave2pillows

ihave2pillows

Yikes!!!!

8. dikasapi

dikasapi

noooooo... aaaaaahhhh...

9. djramsay

djramsay

i agree, although i cant remember the last time i bought "NEW" slide film, effect and cause....?

10. paytenpurdy

paytenpurdy

I'm going to cry....

11. hervinsyah

hervinsyah

I hope there will be tipster or tutorial how to made D.I.Y. slide film =DDD

12. arurin

arurin

Always sad to see yet another slide film disappear...

13. samjoad

samjoad

This is Insane!!

14. dollymixture

dollymixture

I just started using Kodak Elite Chrome : ( Is there any slide film that gives similar affects? :(

15. vandal

vandal

Analog photography is back full power and still growing so it's their loss !!!

16. freyfrey

freyfrey

I will be so sad to lose ektachrome. my favourite!

17. slumbrnghok

slumbrnghok

@vandal - It is their loss. More and more photographers are realising film is more rewarding than digital. It is THE storage medium of choice. Fingers crossed Kodak will keep supporting the more successful products in their film range.

18. polarhei

polarhei

I understand the problem, But they have slain the real clients. The clients like to do something directly and real.

I used to do something in negatives in three ways. Black and white, Blue-in and Red-in.
    I know the tune, But the Red-in Tuning is not easy because of The orange layer.

Although I use slides sometimes, still need the ready use, safe film for these people.

I think, Kodak should remember How PORTRA is becoming successful. Some people may have used the NC and VC, they know the tune. The New one has fused the advantages of both.

I have not used these negatives before. I only use Fujifilm XTRA like film for color.

Kodak should combine the advantages in ektachrome and the EB series. I know you want to reduce the line from 4 to 1, It is better to do something from 4 to 2 because of the clients.

What is 4 lines: EBX,E100G,E100VS and something called 5285 (ISO 100 Daylight)

How the people know you? EB3 is the answer. My uncle used it, I used it. I know your real tune from Color slides.

My nation has tried to make their own E6 slides(reversal film), it was successful, but due to the quality reasons, it has been swept away very quickly. For the details, I think one day, It is better to ask the red party for this.

Even the Foveon is becoming successful. The tune,which cannot be replaced by digital. Digital in movie making. It is just a container. They still like to use film to get everything.

19. adash

adash

That's sad news, I want to express my disappointment with Kodak about it, but I don't use Facebook. How do I do it without FB?

20. polarhei

polarhei

Dirt Simple write a letter for it. I seldom use Facebook as the primary tool.

21. vandal

vandal

or maybe it's just a marketing strategy to increase their sales...threatning us that they will discontinue so we'll go and stack up

22. cwyeung

cwyeung

to everyone here:
    I'm the writer of this article. As large pieces of the article/letter content has been cut, please access my blog post about what I really think: (Sorry about my limited English writing skills)

23. kamenriderika

kamenriderika

This article reeks of selfishness, if not sounding like a spoiled brat. Kodak is in the danger of really dying and they do need to make proper strategies if they want to survive. Kodak's color reversal films is not as profitable as it used to be. Fact of life. We all need to grow up a little and stop whining. My 2 Cents.
  24. tere

tere

:( we still need Kodak Slide Films!

25. hervinsyah

hervinsyah

Stop mumbling, start hunting =D

26. rav_bunneh

rav_bunneh

Soon there will be no way for us to practice Lomography at all. :/

27. murdoc_niccals

murdoc_niccals

well slide films in general are in crisis (i'm lomographer for 5 years maybe and i didn't get much to try slide films yet - they are very hard to find these days. they don't have them in any photolab near my home. even expired material is short supply.). Kodak is just company in big problems, sorry but i don't believe we can change anything about this, we can only pray for them to save their own ass. and maybe one day they will return to production of slide films (and other films of course which they already canceled). this whole slide situation is sad, but it's happening.

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 한국어, Deutsch & Nederlands.