Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

15% Price Increase for Kodak Films

Wasn't it just last week when Kodak said they were gonna stop producing colour reversal films? Now the British Journal of Photography confirms that there will be a 15% price increase for all remaining Kodak films on the market. When will Kodak stop bringing us sad news?

Kodak just keeps bringing us news to be bummed about. As BJP Online reports, a Kodak spokeswoman has confirmed the price hike on all their films still currently available.

Photo via bjp-online

(Read Kodak to Discontinue Ektachromre and Elite Chrome Extra Color Films)

“We have to contend with further increases in energy and raw material costs, and higher costs associated with lower volumes,” a Kodak rep said. “Therefore, to remain a sustainable, viable business, the company is implementing a price increase for consumer and professional films.”

The increase is expected to take effect in shops in the coming weeks. Boo-hoo, Kodak. :-(

written by denisesanjose

1. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

Not a good call on their part. It's these sorts of mistakes that put them where they are now. They simply won't compete with the likes of Fuji on what remains of their business.

2. betortita

I personally think this is a bad move, if they have low sales and demand, raise the price of the film will make non regular buyers and possible consumers move to cheaper films like Fuji.

3. coolsigg

coolsigg

Hopefully there is no increase in Lomography's film prices!

4. superlighter

superlighter

capitalism.

5. hervinsyah

hervinsyah

My Kodak Portra Tungsten negative film 100T color result http://www.lomograph(…)os/14820506 was very disappointing =( Maybe it will become expensive because the producer/seller know that the demand is very high. So it's very true that THE FUTURE IS ANALOGUE =D

6. coolbober

coolbober

Where is bad news?
    If you want cheap negative go buy kodak gold

7. neanderthalis

neanderthalis

As if my film addiction wasn't bad enough, now it costs even more.

8. bass_clarinet_2000

bass_clarinet_2000

I'm happy I bought the ones in the store next to work. I paid $16.00 for three rolls of Kodak BW 400. I can only imagine how much it will cost for the real good films. I find it amazing. I love Kodak, but it seems to be making some stupid moves in the light of this bankruptcy.

9. detroitlomo

detroitlomo

This shows a few things that are good though-If Kodak feels secure enough to raise its prices they obviously know that the market for film is solid. And im sure once energy costs go down (namely the price of fuel) the price will drop a bit

10. denisesanjose

denisesanjose

Lucky some Kodak film distributors here sell expired film for ₱10 (less than 25¢) per roll!

11. simonh82

simonh82

This does suck, but they still make by far the best colour negative films with Ektar and Portra. I will probably keep buying from them, although I will continue to shop around to get the best price. Kodak Ektar and the Lomo 100 CN (made by Lucky film I think) now appear to be the only 100 speed CN films left in production in 35mm.

12. mintandcoke

mintandcoke

Another very silly move from Kodak executives. I keep wondering why there are so many who think this is good news claiming that "overpriced Kodak is better than no Kodak". Which is absolutely incoherent - good business have competitive products (just like Fuji). If Kodak is unable to offer competitive film, it's because they are still failing in managing the business. It's a pity. I love Kodak (although I do prefer Fujis all the way), but it bothers me that while Fuji keeps growing and blooming (cheeky enough to produce Polaroid-style film and camera!), Kodak is dying out.

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: ภาษาไทย.