An Extra Large-Format Camera to Captivate Cultures

A colossal camera, made by Dennis Manarchy, traverses America and captures stunning portraits of its culture and people. Take a look at this exceptional photography project which would surely amaze and inspire all film photographers.

Photo via PetaPixel

Vanishing Cultures is a project spearheaded by photographer Dennis Manarchy who travels around America to take photographs of amazing faces which reflect various cultures — including Appalachians, Cajuns, Cowboys, Eskimos, Interred Japanese, and Native Americans.

The amazing thing about Vanishing Cultures is that it makes use of a humongous camera, called the Eye of America, which measures 35 feet long and 6 feet wide (whoa!) and is stylized to look like an old-fashioned large-format camera! This camera, capable of producing timeless images in microscopic detail, is so huge, a person can work inside it!

Still not enough to get you bewildered? Watch this video to know more about the project’s concept!

Sources for this article were PetaPixel and TheFPAC.

written by nyebe

1. emperornorton

emperornorton

I think one thing we all need to remember is that each of us inhabits a world that will be lost if we do not make a record of it. We don't need room-sized cameras to cast visions onto celluloid. Each of us carries a cell phone. Many of us own a digital camera. And we here play with film. All these media exist to conserve and preserve.

2. angelhaken

angelhaken

@emperornorton cellphones and digital cameras are not really devices for conserving and preserving moments :). A analogue camera always directly creates a negativ ( or dia ) that is about 500 years stable. You can use cell phones or digital cameras to create digital negatives and use them for contact printing to put the image on baryt paper - or save the image on microfilm or some people even have a digital exposure unit than you can store your images on film - but i don't think many of us do that if the have a digital camera. Well it's better then nothing but if you take your snapshop camera with you it would be quite better :). It is pretty expensive to seriously store digital dater over a decade and as I'm only 24 I don't have to much experience but i still belive it is possible. But if i think back to 2001 where diskette was still in use - how many people do still own a diskette drive ? self-burned cds or dvds the don't even will survive 50 years - not even taking in count if there will be a reading device for cd's in 50 years. If i take a roll of film my dad made for example that's older than I am i can view it - without any device - ( just in daylight ). So if you are really seriosly into preserving and conserving film would be your first choice and please don't put it in plastic jackets *g

3. emperornorton

emperornorton

@angelhaken It will be there provided it was taken with one of the metal-based processes, but not one of the dye processes. Ektachrome that is even less than ten years old is practically unviewable from the purpling. And forget any color dye process lasting the fifty years....There are several motion pictures from before the 1970s have been lost due to the degradation of the celluloid. As for whether or not they will be able to view CDs in fifty years -- this technology continues to evolve so we can't say what they will be able to do. The photos I took ten years ago with my early digital cameras retain the same colors they had when I took them -- which I cannot say for the color prints and negatives I took at the same time. Film has its benefits, but romancing it to the point of denial about its limitations can be hazardous. There's a reason why people are scanning their negatives into sites like this. If you don't believe in digital, then what are you doing uploading your pictures here?

4. hervinsyah

hervinsyah

I THINK IT'S NOT THE CAMERA. IF HENRI-CARTIER BRESSON AND ANSEL ADAMS STILL ALIVE, I CAN'T HARDLY WAIT TO SEE THEIR FABULOUS EXPERIMENT WITH CELL PHONE OR MAYBE IPAD CAMERA

5. angelhaken

angelhaken

@emperornorton well I didn't say that i don't belive in digital :). Maybee i was too harsch. Personally analog or digital for me is just a desicion like picking a tool, so there are some reasons where film is better than digital and vince versa. I also didn't want to romanceing film :). Working digital is great for sharing and for communikation - i still enjoy showing analog black & white prints made in the dark room but that is not possible over the internet :). I know that there are ways to perserve data digital but it always needs to be looked after :). I think i got you wrong in first place - maybee you were more talking about preserving the moment not so much about for how long *g. I just like film because it's lets call it open - you can take some negatives and you can watch the images ( inverted :P but its possible) if you take a cd or a dvd .. well you simply can't read it - without further technology. @hervinsyah
    i completely agree on that :)

6. emperornorton

emperornorton

@angelhakin Well, you had me fooled because where I had made a statement including both digital and film as part of the future, you came down hard on digital. Plus you made several statements that were downright false and misleading. I believe in both film and digital as my first comment illustrated. Why you came after me for saying that the future includes both -- at such length -- if you support digital remains a mystery that you have to answer inside yourself.

7. emperornorton

emperornorton

@hervinsyah I agree! In my self-description, I state my philosophy of photography which is "I believe that the camera is of secondary importance: learning what it can do is key."

8. angelhaken

angelhaken

@emperornorton I'm a software developer so I belive in digital in general. I just don't think it's the best way to perserve images for the future. - well thats my point - compact :) - never trust your computer :P

9. emperornorton

emperornorton

@angelhaken I will commend you for attacking a statement that was meant to inspire and encourage people to use whatever camera they had and reduce the comment thread to a petty technical dispute. Good job. I'm out of here.

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Português & Deutsch.