Coming Soon! Part 7

Sit back, dim the lights and look closely, because it’s almost time to unveil the latest Lomographic blockbuster! This is the last close-up clue we'll be giving you before all is revealed tomorrow!

Happen to know what the new product is? Lucky you! But please don’t spoil the surprise for everyone else – Let’s keep the secret until launch day!

written by tomas_bates

1. orangeuke

orangeuke

Film video camera I hope! :D

2. panchoballard

panchoballard

Ha, I predicted this! Crank the handle to wind the film and expose each frame. I'm guessing the shutter is triggered by the sprockets going past which could mean the fps depends on how fast you turn the handle.

3. orangeuke

orangeuke

or @panchoballard: you wind it and press the release button for it to unwind and film.. maybe

4. superbagus

superbagus

yeah, just spin those crank(?) and you got some classical experience of making a movie like the old days..
  5. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

@panchoballard - ooooo it sounds exciting. Hopefully not too expensive!!

6. panchoballard

panchoballard

@orangeuke I think the button is the rewind button. Wonder if it shoots full frame or splits the film into strips for economy?

7. jr-moon

jr-moon

my Hasselblad has a winder that could be remotely compared to this and a counter like the one shown before *g* It could be shaped like one too. Whatever it is, I can't wait to see it. :-)

8. panchoballard

panchoballard

@kneehigh Rumour is that it will be at the more affordable end of the Lomography range. Hope so!

9. bernizt

bernizt

Affordable? I hope so! :)

10. cfib

cfib

@panchoballard look at the frame format here: http://www.lomograph(…)stery-treat I think it'll be something like a continous one-lens supersampler

11. atreyuthechild

atreyuthechild

look at the wording of the clue though. Words like 'dim the lights' and 'blockbuster' all hint at movies. Unless they're just bluffing. I really hope it is a moving picture camera. Everyone seems to think it'll be something like that.

12. simonh82

simonh82

OK, so a hand cranked film camera, using the super sampler mini-panoramic format. I like it, but that still only gives you 144 frames per standard 36 exposure film. I guess you are either going to get a special Lomography film that is a lot longer and requires developing by lomo-labs, or more likely the hand crank winds it up, then you release it in clicks or bursts more slowly (almost stop motion like) so you only get a few frames per second.

If it is on standard 35mm film, you could get it developed and scanned normally, then use the mini-movie feature (maybe now maxi-movie) to make a short film.

13. funwithrobots

funwithrobots

I think the key for me will be some sort of software to take your beautiful images and make them into viewable videos. I don't want to spend a ton of time editing stills into 30 seconds of video. Excited to see what gets turns up!
  14. andytechie

andytechie

Simple..you all missed it..it is a type of movie camera. Like a super 8, but wide...dont know what film format, but the crank is a spring winder, and you press the button and it shoots movies...like a super 8...
  15. nerpman

nerpman

I'm excited.........all those picture clues look so similar to the old Keystone and Revere 8mm cine cameras from the 50's. If it ends up taking 35mm, it would be amazing if Lomography fabricates a projector for this too!

16. nicolasesc

nicolasesc

@lomography JUST TAKE MY MONEY

17. jlwilkes

jlwilkes

It has to be a remake of a 70s super8 film camera. The only issue then is the projector. There was one model that was a camera AND projector all in one (reg.8mm though).
    But this is DEFINITELY a super8 movie camera.
    The cartridges will give you about 5-10 minutes of silent footage.

18. jlwilkes

jlwilkes

Oddly, you can find good 60s and 70s movie cameras right now on eBay for pennies almost....AND THEY WORK! The price will be the deciding factor for me. Although, this may cause a resurgance in KodaK super 8mm film production.

19. panchoballard

panchoballard

Definitely 35mm with no projection. The idea will be to import your scanned frames into software, hence the sudden integration of Vimeo into the Lomography website.

20. luckychair

luckychair

I agree with jlwilkes...my first thought was lomo-super8! I just hope, like everyone, else, that it is affordable and easy to develop. Really, what we need is lomo vibe with digital back. :)
  21. atreyuthechild

atreyuthechild

@andytechie - everyone has been saying it's a Super8 camera already. It's pretty clear it is a movie camera of some sort.... it's also pretty obvious that it wont be a super8 camera because it's really hard and really expensive to get any super8 film developed anymore - @jwilkes that is why the cameras are so cheap on ebay, they're useless if you can't afford to process your film.

I think it will shoot onto 35mm film, maybe ordinary cartridges like we use in our stills cameras.

I'm hoping it has a manual crank function aswell as a button to record at a steady fixed frame rate.

22. atreyuthechild

atreyuthechild

to add to what I just said - i think it will split 35mm frames into tiny superwide screen aspect ratios to make use of as much of the roll as possible. I expect they will process it like any other 35mm stills film or maybe encourage people to just process at the lab and self-can at home with the digitaliza...

23. jourdanlynch

jourdanlynch

The level will control the frame speed I think, like a stop motion movie camera.. .still sticking to that if its going to be on 35mm... If its only stop motion and you can control the FPS I cant see Lomography concerning themselves with the amount of film it eats... after all look at the 360 spinner, eats film like nobodies business.

24. kemakeur

I knew it will be a crank driven motion camera.(lomography have not designed an motor drive camera yet) I hope it has a B mode and slit mask as well, if so that's the exact solution for perfect slit camera I was dreaming. With that crank you will be able to adjust to the speed of moving object.
  25. panchoballard

panchoballard

If I ran Lomography I'd probably be asking my designers to come up with something that eats as much film as possible! Makes good business sense. If I can use this to film some interesting music videos for bands then I can get them to pay for the costs!

26. jlwilkes

jlwilkes

Actually super8 and regular 8mm is still a vibrant scene (do a google search). U.S. Processing on 50 ft rolls/cartridges is around $12-$15. (note: Lomography.com charges $18 for 120 film developing!!!).
    The reason most of the movie cameras on eBay are so cheap is because people today have forgotten the beauty of film. Video to them is so much easier and immediate and its all they've ever known. But, us lomographers are used to waiting for developing. Honestly, there are many lomographers out there today that never knew what 120 film was until Lomography.com came along.
    I'm hoping for a resurgance of the 8mm scene.

27. atreyuthechild

atreyuthechild

@jlwilkes Sorry mate, turns out i was talking out of my ass. I found a couple of great places in the UK who process 8mm film just now haha.

28. jlwilkes

jlwilkes

@atreyuthechild s'okay. As I say, it's the projection that concerns me. Also, the rise in "interest" in reg8mm/super8 would make it more plentiful AND hopefully encourage Kodak to re-release their kodachrome super8.

29. panchoballard

panchoballard

It's highly unlikely Kodak will reintroduce anything involving the Kodachrome process. The mad rush of photographers to Duane's last December showed there was still a huge love for the process but it didn't persuade Kodak to stick with it.

30. flyingpizza

I made a quick composite of all the images in photoshop, you can see the results here: http://www.lomography.com/homes/flyingpizza/photos/14607873
  31. robotmonkey1996

robotmonkey1996

a simple slr or tlr? probly a video cam tho

32. stonerfairy

stonerfairy

GOSH!!! I can sense something like SUPER 8!!!!! Gosh Gosh Gosh!!!

33. alex34

alex34

Kodak is about to go bust, so I think forget kodachrome, this is going to be 35mm, not a super8. There have been plenty of heavy hints in that direction. Supersampler with a crank seems on the ball. Seems it will therefore be an interesting novelty but not much more. Would have preferred a new upmarket camera, miniature 1 minute films hold no real appeal for me, but each to their own.

34. edwardpiper

edwardpiper

If its a super 8 style camera i'll cry

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Spanish, 한국어, 日本語, Deutsch, 中文(简体版), 中文(繁體版), Português, Československy, Français, Italiano, 中文(繁體版), ภาษาไทย, Русский & Nederlands.