James and the Giant Peach, eat your heart out! We've got Gil Adam, an Industrial Design student from Israel, who produced and designed a humongous version of the classic Holga. It is currently on display at the graduates exhibition in Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design in Jerusalem. Let's check it out!
Persistence, determination, and a whole lot of free time was involved in making this beauty! Merely describing it wouldn’t do justice to its sheer awesomeness so we’ve got Gil Adam himself to talk about his project!
The model was done as part of my first year of studying Industrial Design in Bezalel academy of arts and design in Jerusalem, Israel.
The aim of the project (which is a common project among first year design students) is to fabricate an oversized model of a product/object, with choice of the object, it’s level of detail and final size up to the student to decide. As a Lomographer for many years and a big fan of the Holga I knew since the beginning that I want to make a huge Holga, although it is much more complicated than most objects chosen for this exercise (more then 30 individual parts to make and put together).
To determine the scale i would work on i started with searching for something to simulate the plasticky faux leather texture of the camera (on a larger scale). After a week of visiting every fabric and leather store i knew and not finding the right texture I finally found it in form of a textured wallpaper. The texture itself wasn’t dramatically bigger then the original (about 2 times bigger) but I figured i could work on a scale of 3:1 without the texture looking too small.
after i had my scale i started the actual fabrication of the model. First off I made measurements and computer drawings of the camera and its parts from all directions to help me understand how i will put together this piece. Next step was to build the basic shape of the camera (body front and back, top part with flash and viewfinder, lens base, lens barrel, side rails) which i fabricated from MDF which i sawed, glued, routed, milled and sanded to the right shape and size. After i had the basis I turned to making the plastic parts (lens, lens cone, back 12/16 plate, film advance wheel, tripod mount, buttons and windows), these were made mostly on lathes (for circular parts) and mills.
The most difficult parts to make were the side metal clips. They were made from stainless steel cut by laser to shape, pressed in an hydraulic press with a template for the two bulging strips on it and finally folded. The text on the front of the lens was printed in a 3d printer and glued to the front of the lens barrel. After I had all the parts i went on to the paint job, all parts to be painted received a coat of primer and then went on to be painted the right color and texture (either grainy black, matte black or glossy black). The last part was to put together all the pieces, which was done with some screws and various glues. A few finishing touches and labels (printed on matte photo paper and glued to the model) and I was done!
What I described now relatively shortly took me about a month and a half of work, endless hours of sweat and frustration and not a small amount of $$$, but I think the final outcome is totally worth it. I now have a huge model of my favorite camera!!!