Lomography at the UK Student Protests

There is unrest amongst students in the UK, with a dramatic rise to tuition fees looming on the horizon there have been protests across the country which have been scenes of violence, anger and Police action. Some faithful Lomographers have thrown themselves into the heart of the riots to catch the action!

Bristol

Liverpool

What do you think of the riots? Unjust or totally neccesary?
Did you get any great shots? Put a link to your album in the comments below!

written by littlemisslove

1. snug

snug

5 years ago the NHS was on a splurge of getting in qualified staff from abroad because we didn't have enough graduates... i dread to think what it will be like in 5 years time when there are even less.

I had to wait until I was a mature student until I could afford to go to uni... and i now have over 20,000 worth of student debt... I can't imagine how much worse it's going to get

2. superlighter

superlighter

I wish you good luck students! someone is stealing your future! you have all the right to fight against a system that scarce on the shoulders of the weakest the failure of their economic policies.

3. herbert-4

herbert-4

Re. Protest... I support HE for those who qualify academically. There should be appropriate. progressive income tax to enforce reinvestment and to support the commons. Schools and education are part of the commons. The USA has been going in the wrong direction since the Reagan Presidency. Don't let this happen to the UK. Just remember to protest rationally. No mobs, and no destruction of anything you'll need, later. No "Weathermen", no "Bader-Meinhoff". Excessive conviction of rightness and rationalisation of criminal acts is how a movement damns itself. So, do it, and do it right!

4. panchoballard

panchoballard

The violence certainly isn't helping their cause. The majority are being underminded by the brutal minority (on both sides!).

Part of me can't helping thinking that the whole world is in debt anyway and a few extra grand on top of an already large debt upon leaving Uni isn't such a big deal. A lot of the students will never have to pay it back anyway because the jobs market is so poor (that's the situation I'm in).

But the other, more principled part of me think that the cuts could be made elsewhere with much less impact - MP's expenses anybody?

5. bulletofmine

bulletofmine

yeah . its really ridiculous 3x times higher than before. The protest is very acceptable from my point of view. everybody want to have a good future.I hope the parliament cancel what did they do to all of the students . Its about future.

6. kylewis

kylewis

I'm in London and had friends kids that had gone up for a 'peaceful' protest (mine being a bit young but will have to think twice now about uni), this was inevitably thwarted by the heavy handed actions of the Police against ALL protesters instead of just those bent on destruction. I do empathise with the students and sadly now the protests have fallen on deaf ears...as usual. The right to demonstrate and allow voices to be heard is paramount, I fear that after yesterdays interesting diversions with the 'Royals' we as a nation will again just reinforce the stigmatisation of our young people and students, as we have done for a long time.... Keep Protesting!

@herbert-4 I fear you are right but they have been looking at the American model for a while, the government has always had to look elswhere to solve it's problems they don't seem able to work out a solution that hasn't come from another country. When you say HE what do you mean?

@panchoballard As for paying it back you are no doubt right, I cannot imaging many even getting jobs let alone paying a fair wage but for those in London £21K really can't be considered that decent when you factore in everything else and who knows what state we'll be in by then.

7. panchoballard

panchoballard

@kylewis That's a good point. Up here in Bolton I can get by fairly easily on £17k yet still don't earn enough to pay my (admittedly small) loan back. Down in London and it's outskirts though and I can see it being a very different story.

The very city where many top graduates would expect to work will be too expensive for them. It's a ridiculous situation. It's here where I become apolitical and completely dejected about politics. It's not just this coalition government, it's the one before and the one before that ad nauseum.

I'm just glad I've got a hobby I'm obsessed about otherwise I'd just keep worrying about the state of the world! Thank you Lommography lol

8. adamscott

adamscott

this is fantastic! analogue protest :)

9. fash_on

fash_on

It's important to protest, unfortunately violent types will attach themselves to any cause. Affordable Higher Education (HE) is a worthy cause to protect, if no-one protests the government can do whatever they want. Brits have been successful in the past (Poll Tax), it's good to see people who are passionate enough to do something, here in Canada everyone is too polite/politically correct.

10. bubbacoop

"What do you think of the riots?" Idiotic. They've bought into all these state-created "rights" and grown up in an entitlement society. What happened to self-sufficiency?
  11. janne1warman

sometimes ..... totally neccesary
  12. atreyuthechild

atreyuthechild

Mine will be online tonight.

13. atreyuthechild

atreyuthechild

Apologies for the self indulgent post above. I was on my phone. Love the photos in the post guys! How did you do that crazy border effect Emma?

As for my view on the protests: I pretty much agree with the cause but the violence and vandalism is retarded. If you're in the spotlight, fighting for something you believe in, you're all responsible for the way you market the protests to the rest of the nation. They need to get people on their side. Graffiti on nelson mandelas statue, vandalising churchill's memorial, climbing on the cenotaph, burning benches... Who the hell did they think they were fighting when they did that? By spraying mindless slogans on public property and disrespecting memorials they're only hurting the cause. No one will back you if that's the way you conduct yourself. Why can't all those people see that? Unless they don't care, in which case they're just ruining it for those who were being peaceful and serious about the cause.

Here's my album from the London protests - http://www.lomograph(…)ests-london

14. basho

basho

The whole Europe prefers to tax on middle classes and workers instead of making big fortunes pay according to their income. I'm afraid it's good-bye to social policies. Regarding citizen and working rights, we have gone back to the times of the industrial revolution. Gloomy future for the next generations.

I have translated the article into Spanish: http://www.lomograph(…)os#comments

15. inedido

inedido

Hello, I´m from Venezuela, a singular country that is always in riots, of any kinds, mostly about politics, education system, etc, I think riots sometime are important, I think if we are together in any causa, any positive theme, we´ll be a better persons in a most beautiful world, all is in the head. All is in the education. I belive in the men power, and in the word power.
    sorry but my english is so bad that I always cry.
    xD

16. electro33

electro33

@atreyuthechild Hey thanks :) I like setting my Diana to take 16 shots with borders instead of 12 without and I'm not sure if it was something to do with the batch of film I had or with the way I take film out of my camera that there were light leaks casting shadows around the border The guys who develop my film mentioned I hadn't wound the film tight enough so there could be mist on the film so think it's caused by doing that :)

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Português & Spanish.