Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

The Next Version of Lomography: a Feature Round-Up

The last weeks have been quite busy for us: we've launched a bunch of new features on a near daily basis, redesigned some areas and tried to work in your first feedback. And drank a lot of coffee. So in case you have missed some of the announcements here is a round-up article.

It all started about two weeks ago with this blog entry announcing the new website – new were the Nearby feature in Photos and Magazine, an activity feed for every user and a general redesign of the whole site. Later that week our new LomoWalls tool launched – up to today you’ve already published 2,000 walls (and we know all of you want likes and comments for the walls, just stay tuned, something is one the way). In the Magazine we’ve worked a bit on the galleries, read all about here. Meeting new and interesting people has always been an important part on Lomography, so we’ve also worked on this, to stay in touch with all your friends we’ve created a dedicated section for all the messages. Yesterday we’ve put an all new keyboard navigation online and also show all the latest albums and photos of your friends in the sidebar of your activity. And as last minute addition all status updates and new albums of the people you follow show up in your activity stream.

So this is it. For now. Hope you are having a great time on Lomography – if there is anything we can do to make it a better experience for you just let us know in the comments!

written by recurving

1. superlighter

superlighter

new features are so good but I think all these notifications generate a little confusion! it's ok for the new albums notification but why I should read every update status of my so many contact?

2. renaishashin

renaishashin

Is it possible to have 2 seperate notifications as I don't want to mix the messages and 'likes' notifications together.. It will be alot of notifications since you made it this way... :D

3. recurving

recurving

@superlighter and @renaishashin: for sure. we are still tweaking these features – testing them in the "wild" gives us some good feedback of how you want to use them… so any comment helps us a lot!

4. panelomo

panelomo

maybe an additional settings page on our lomohome to indicate which notifications we want to follow or not? that way, we can control which messages/features we want to follow.

anyway, BIG applause and thank you to @recurving for listening and doing all these teeny requests from everyone. more coffee! :)

5. recurving

recurving

@panelomo: this will come for sure… so what do you guys and girls think: what things do you want to get notified about (with this blue counter in the bar above): comments? likes? messages? status updates of friends? new albums of friends?

6. shoujoai

shoujoai

Hehe, the "right hand keyboard, left hand coffee" is also my favorite :D but yes, it gets a bit confusing. A filer would maybe be useful, that I can filter for likes, messages, updates, published albums.

7. shoujoai

shoujoai

Btw. what's going on with the most popular selection? Is it a bug or a feature that it always changes?

8. superlighter

superlighter

@recurving with the exception of a status update everything else is fine for me. I could also say that if there is already the sidebar with the update of the albums that will become redundant, don't you think?

9. reflex

reflex

friends album notifications is a good idea :)

10. discodrew

discodrew

I love it the site is so much better! I like being kept up to date with new photo's and albums of people I am following. Any changes planned to the lab as I think it's a bit clunky. Would like to change order of photo's and flip photo's that are sideways.

11. paramir

paramir

I also think it is a good idea to separate the comments/album updates/status updates stream (from other people) from the liking and commenting stream of myself. thus what i like and commented on in an apart stream/place/page. is that an idea?

12. dimitrul

dimitrul

the album updates is great!!! this way you can directly see what´s happening in other homes, but the whole status updates is a bit disorientating.. and in the end you have so many comments that you get a bit lost.. but anyway thanks a lot for trying to make this work better for all of us!!!

13. a_lion

a_lion

I only want notifications as they were before- ie. comments and likes. Everything else I can go browsing for myself. At the very least, if we must have status updates etc, pleeeease keep them very clearly seperate and in a stream, rather than notified. Please! Thanks :D

14. maria_vlachou

maria_vlachou

kill the status updates in notifications, I can't imagine what would happen if I had more friends. The keybord navigation is Fantastic!!! Thanks.

15. recurving

recurving

@all: okay, we will turn off the status updates for now – that became a bit too much…
    @superlighter: that is a good point, just thought it would be nice to browse back and see what albums my friends have published – but new albums are of real value, reading my status update that i am drinking yet another coffee maybe not… :)
    @discodrew: yes, there will be some changes to the lab to make it easier to use (but haven't started that yet)
    @paramir: we could also make the stream you see different from the one others see (but i think that becomes even more confusing) – basically the home should be place for others to see what you've been up to and what others did on your home… that's why we've moved the messages to somewhere else (additionally)
    @a_lion: thanks. are album updates and people who started following you also annoying?
    @maria_vlachou: killed :)

16. a_lion

a_lion

The albums and new photos are fine as they are- displayed in the activity section so you know what's happening, but without notification, so it's not intrusive. The 'following' notification is useful :D

17. jaalvarez

jaalvarez

I´m agree with the others comments: ... all these notifications generate a little confusion! ... This is a great and democratic job !!! For sure !!!
    I remenber the old times, when you could see your articles, locations, ... in your home. It would be nice to see the news notifications in them. I´m very sad when I meet one comment in one of my old locations, and I respose it a lot of days later ...

18. recurving

recurving

what do you think of the following: if you are logged in and watch your activity stream you only see the all comments, messages, likes, … others left on your home. watching another persons stream will show you everything this person commented, liked, public messaged, … or all comments, messages, likes he/she received

19. recurving

recurving

last or should be an and: watching another persons stream will show you everything this person commented, liked, public messaged, … AND all comments, messages, likes he/she received

20. vgzalez

vgzalez

Now it became official: @recurving is our Aladdin's genie for all of us using the lomography website. Any dream you wouldn't be able to make come true? ;)

21. disdis

disdis

First of all, great job guys! On the other side, I agree with the rest of people. Notifications now are messing. What I'd like is to separate what I like and comments from what people like and comment on my home. It's really good to see the likes and comments on articles as well but i'm not sure if it's good to mix them with pictures

22. reneg88

reneg88

I'm sorry to drift from the subject here a bit, but i REALLY miss being able to see the ongoing competitions from ALL of the sites in the 'select a competition' drop down menu from which ever site I'm browsing at the moment, because otherwise i have to visit every single lomography site and go to the competitions section to find out what's going on... all of them in the drop down menu was much more convenient and easier to access and submit.

23. domyblue

domyblue

Grest job @:recurving !!! I understood the point of "home should be place for others to see what you've been up to and what others did on your home" but for example now I was trying to like and answer back to all the friends and new people that recentely visited my home, and liked my photos, and because I started to like some photos and post messages, now is get complicated to reach my other friends messages because my home is full of my activity ... I think is important to be able to reach in an easy way our friends messages and likes!

24. domyblue

domyblue

Messages are easy to find in messages, but not our friends likes. I don't know if this could help: maybe Activity could be for all activity (our and our friends, likes, messages); Messages is already for messages; and in Notification we could find only all likes from our friends. We have Likes, where we can find and see only all our own likes, but we don't have one place where we can see only likes from our friends.

25. clickiemcpete

clickiemcpete

Great job! The only thing I wish is I wish it were easy to drag and drop photos into albums like on Flickr. I cannot figure out the lomo album thing at all.

26. domyblue

domyblue

WOW I find only now that in every of our photo, we have the list of all the likes, this is very useful :) AMAZING JOB!!!

27. pietrone

pietrone

great job!!! the best is getting even better

28. homer

homer

The new features are great really love the reworking of the site. Love it love it love!

29. niki-tzi

niki-tzi

i still cant follow anyone... if they follow me, the button works. but when i presss "follow"so sbody else, nothing happens...
    also the "like and next" , still wont go to the next picture...
    i think it would be better if the pictures i liked wouldnt show up on my own page...

30. spoeker

spoeker

I love it that I can finally see if people I follow publish new albums :D
    I would change one thing in the activity stream: don't show which photos I liked, therefor we have a seperate tab and it's hard to find my notifications through the whole list..

31. vicuna

vicuna

How about setting some options to choose what we want to see in the notifications? For example, I just liked some pictures and had new notifications, but it was only the ones of the pictures I just liked! so, not so interesting for me... And could the messages on pictures, articles or personal messages all be put together in "messages" (all written stuff) and the likes/new albums/new publications in the "notification" section...?

32. recurving

recurving

hey – thanks again for your nice feedback. we think we found a solution for the notifications and it will be rolled out soon… and for those reading, shhhhhh: comments and likes? lomowalls? who wants that? we know a lot of you – so this is coming, too!

33. gnarlyleech

gnarlyleech

The biggest problem I see is the lack of article submission status updates. There needs to be some sort of system to notify us the status of our article submissions. Otherwise we could spend weeks on the edge of our seats. waiting and waiting waiting for a day that never comes

34. superlighter

superlighter

too many notifications! photo they like, photo I like, update status (for me it's enought the right sidebar window) and very slow opening of the pictures! too many black thumbnails!

35. goldie

goldie

When you create walls, it would be nice to pick a image more precisely (pick out of whole albums, maybe), the slider is way too unhandy when you have about 1000 images or more...

36. paramir

paramir

the image selection in lomowalls and submissions with the slider is very unhandy when you have more then 50 images. you need to really be accurate, and above a certain amount of images it is just not possible anymore to get it right. thus, if the first batch is 1-10, it is very hard to impossible to get to 11-20. one option is to change the clicking on the scroll bar option so that it will jump to the next batch and not to where you clicked.

37. paramir

paramir

the activity stream - would be nice to separate the photos I liked from the ones others liked and the comments and updates. maybe the best will be to just show the "I liked" to other visitors to my home, and make them invisible to me.

38. paramir

paramir

and the last one for now, it would be really cool if it would be possible to mark individual activity items as read/unread and if there would be an option to see only unread items.

39. girl_anachronism

girl_anachronism

loving it so far! Just don't like the slider when submitting photos. x

40. stouf

stouf

Could you put a filter on the shoutbox to prevent people from promoting their own stuff ? If people were only promoting others photos, the shoutbox would be way more interesting I think.

41. copefan

copefan

on your home it shows the lates lomo wall...... could we have a opition to show our fave wall or set it to random so when people vist they get a different one of your walls....?

42. copefan

copefan

oooo..... and on the walls i agree with @paramir the slider is hard to use to pick wall images, just needs a tweak.....

43. superlighter

superlighter

@recurving : when someone leaves a comment and we respond to this comment it would be nice that the comment author receives a notification with our response or something like this: superlighter replay to your comment

44. blackcoffeeandtantrum

blackcoffeeandtantrum

I have the same problem as @niki-tzi, I can't follow anyone and the 'like and next' button doesn't work. Otherwise, almost everything is perfect. I'd like the random wall per visit to your lomohome idea too. ;)

45. gnarlyleech

gnarlyleech

I have'nt recieved an answer about article submissions. Can we get status updates on them?

46. recurving

recurving

@gnarlyleech: as you can imagine we get a lot of article submissions each day and we are working on sending out earlier responses. but promised: every entry will be looked at
    @goldie and @girl_anachronism: yes, i agree – i am already on this issue! man, you are filling our todo lists (not that i am complaining)
    @blackcoffeeandtrantrum and @niki-tzi: looking into it first thing tomorrow morning
    @stouf: i really loved seeing you all promoting other people's homes and albums recently – in my opinion the shoutbox shouldn't be too much about self promotion (but if someone is new this might draw the attention to it)
    @superlighter: we really like the @username idea. i think it was @stouf is awesome :) – also on the todo list

47. recurving

recurving

(hope i didn't forget anyone – but i am writing down everything you mention here, promised)

48. gnarlyleech

gnarlyleech

Thanks @recurving

49. superkulisap

superkulisap

a special feature that can be added is the "who's viewed me" link or perhaps the number of hits on a certain picture or something like that :)
    btw, still can't follow anyone

50. superlighter

superlighter

I'm pretty bored by the tens of notifications of new albums that are not new. For example: if I lock up my 499 albums and then I open them again, all my contacts will receive 499 notifications! someone might kill me:)

51. chuo104

chuo104

Hi Team Lomo! As Freddie Prinze would have said, "Looookin' Gooood!"

I can't my Lomowall thing to work, but hey "Walkin gon water wasn't built in a day.", right?

I have an idea for the notifications...Maybe enable options? A click if you want notifiacations, or maybe break them up on the type of notifications users can accept: new photo, new albums, likes, favorited, voted, commented.? Or Click if you want to receive notifications from...and check the friends(s) you want to receive notifications from...Just a thought.

Looking forward to the exciting changes!