Scan up Your Life! A Spicy Survey about Scanners!

A long time ago, in a very far away land, I started a survey about what scanner is the most present in your Lomographers' home. Here are the results - take a look and it might help you out what scanner is the best for your needs.

It all started after reading this great article and thanks to its author ckpj9983

So here we go, it’s gonna be full of a fun amount of numbers and information about some Lomographers. 26 to be exact! Thanks to all of them who participated ! I will put the links to the homes of the ones that left their names on the survey!

Now you know one thing! Not a lot of users answered the survey. But hey, it’s enough and the first thing that was noticed is that all the users who responded are using flatbed scanners, not dedicated ones.

The less important tidbit is that most people are on an Apple computer.

A second piece of information that maybe more important is that almost all the people from the survey are scanning medium format and 35mm films! This was great information for me because I only had a Diana F+ when I started and not all scanners are medium format friendly.

Then, we came to the most important part of this survey, the brand! … And the winner is – EPSON. I did not know anything about this brand but after learning it was first choice among many, I did know it was sure to be my next scanner purchase. The second place choice was Microtek, for your information.

But behind the brand is the model and I’ll give you the top 3 scanner models used by Lomographers:

1. Canon 8800F (almost every Canon user is using this one)
  2. Epson V500
  3. Epson 4490 (I think it’s the old model before V700… Not sure)

I should also mention there was one community member that left a note about the scanner they had bought: “Do not buy this scanner! It doesn’t really cooperate with me…” It was about the HP Scanjet 5590P.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, this information will change your life… I bought the EPSON V500! It was the best for me in terms of quality and price, and now I’m proud to announce you can find us living together in sweet harmony! These are some examples of scans I get with. I used NoiseNinja after it because I don’t like to let the machine decide for me!

If you got any questions, I’m open! I may not be an expert but I’m a rookie with the V500!

Now on to the thank you part! I’m sure you’re gonna search and watch all their homes because they are really great and they helped us a lot! In order of appearance:

written by eatcpcks

1. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

What I will maybe do to keep this up to date, is relaunch the survey and keep all the results on a web page...
    Do you think it's a good idea? Leave me a message to know!

2. nural

nural

lol is that "1 HP user" me?
    I'm currently looking at a brand called Plustec that does both 35 and 120 mm...

3. hughh

hughh

wow this morning (before I read this) I ordered... an epson V500! It looked like the best I could get for my money :)

4. mochilis

mochilis

Thank you!! I find it really useful because I've been reading a lot about different scanners but hadn't decided yet, after having a bad experience with HP 3110.

5. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

Yes Nural it's you and there's your comment about the HP too:D

@hughh will you use the program with or another?

I think i'll do a survey about scanning software and techniques!

6. ipdegirl

ipdegirl

I love my Epson. I have the V750 and it's great. As for computers, I'm a PC right now but next week I'll be a Mac!

7. reneg88

reneg88

i have an Epson V500 too =) you should do a survey/tutorial on techniques for getting the good colors out of cross processed film.

8. cinzinc

cinzinc

great great great info! im gonna need a new scanner, and i was really thinking about buying Epson. making the move from canon.

9. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

If anyone has good tips to scan 35mm and not having too much noise, do it now i need it!

10. vicuna

vicuna

Cool survey and it was a pleasure to be part of it! :)) Yes, I think you could let the survey open, so that more infos about more lomographers can give us a preciser view over scanners used by the community...
    And I used the Epson 4490 before I switched to the Canoscan 8800F. Was ok, but a bit slow and scanned less images at once... Anyway it's an old scanner now and I'm very happy with my Canoscan! :))

11. hughh

hughh

@eatcpcks I'm not sure yet. I've found that adobe Bridge (CS4) is really good for organising pics once the scanning is done, but I'll wait to see how easy the scanning software is to use.

I think a survey on software sounds like a good idea though :)

12. kdstevens

kdstevens

Sorry I missed the survey. I started out using the Canoscan 8800F but switched to the Epson V700 when the Canon started going weird. The Epson is great. If you can afford the extra dinero buy it. It copies twice the media of the Canon and will will copy negs and transparencies up to 8x10. I mostly use it with Vuescan software although the Epson software does well with normal negatives and slides. The Canoscan does quite well and it's resident software is actually superior to the Epson's in my experience. Bottom line: both are great, Epson is worth the extra money.

13. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

There will be part too and maybe a live survey with live results:) And I'll do the same for the programs! I think it can be useful! And maybe one or two on how to manage your negatives collection

14. vgzalez

vgzalez

Hello there!! I also own a V500 since march and I'm really happy with the results. I chose this one because it was able to scan a 120 film at a reasonable price, and I hace always trusted Epson robustness. I only feel a little bit dissapointed about the scanning masks. I always use the 120 mask, for both 120 and 35 mm with sprocket holes, and it doesn't work nicely to keep the negatives firmly in the place. As V500 masks have some perforations to let the scanner know which mask you are using, does anybody know if this scanner is compatible with the DIGITALIZA masks? Anyone tried?? Maybe they were a good deal!!

15. vgzalez

vgzalez

About the noise, the new engine included in Lightroom 3 does it really nice for both luminance and chromatic noise.

16. nicolas_noir

nicolas_noir

I have a Canoscan 9000f. It was the same price for me as other older scanners, but has a 9600 spuare dpi scan res (I think) which is the highest consumer available I think. This is more than enough for my current needs and is fairly slow at high res - my wife's laptop doesn't have the RAM to deal with the higher res either! Another plus side though, is it comes ndled with the latest photoshop elements and the essential Silver Fast software.

17. savate_pigeon

savate_pigeon

Great idea, how can I participate ?
  18. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

I'll publish a link here or on the chat in a few times. Anyone wanna help doing the questions for the next survey? Contact me!

19. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

submit your questions for next survey!

20. sthomas68

sthomas68

Thanks for including me! Glad to be a part of it! The Epson V500 also works well with the Digitaliza!!!

21. herbert-4

herbert-4

Thanx for the info!! I think that if I can afford it, it might be an Epson V700!

22. vgzalez

vgzalez

Thanks, sthomas68!, then I'l try to get one to test how it works!!
    About how to manage our negatives collection, in lomography.es we have written a couple of articles on this subject.
    http://www.lomograph(…)-lomografos and http://www.lomograph(…)el-desrdoen
    The trouble is that they're written in Spanish... maybe google translator, or perhaps we'll make the translations into english. Hope they can help.

23. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

A translation to english would be wonderful! thansk @vgzalez

24. konstantinp

konstantinp

is there any program for mac os x than works with the epson perfection v500 so you don't have to use the Epson scan app? Sometimes the Epson scan software cuts of a bit of the frames therefor i'd like to select each scanning area by myself. Any ideas?
  25. vgzalez

vgzalez

The Preview application included in OS X does it right. Manages all the hardware features if you installed the drivers. Nevertheless, it doesn't allow you to use 'advanced' features like fine tuning or ICE dust removal. You can try it at File->Import from scanner.

26. jerilampert

jerilampert

My scanner that I bought before I went pro recently went kaput and now I'm in the market for new one. One thing I never find any info on is cross-processed film. This is notoriously hard to scan, and not hard at all to analog print. Any suggestions?
  27. lafawnda

lafawnda

I've got the v500 and its wicked! My advice is to turn off any automatic colour correcting functions it has and to only use the professional mode. Remember on every scan it cuts off both ends of the histogram (because it thinks its being smart) so you'll have to change that every time. Just go al manual and you'll be super happy. I love the scanner, but the mask it comes with is flimsy so buy the lomo one and also the software could have better default controls, its very rudimentary. Peace and happy scanning!!!
  28. lisamichelle

lisamichelle

I've never used a scanner and I just got my first Diana, so this survey was very helpful, thanks! I'm looking for something that will also scan pics from my Land Camera, would the v500 be a good choice?
  29. eatcpcks

eatcpcks

Thanks all for the nice comments! I bought the v500 and am really happy with it!
    Maybe its successor is better... but if you can get the v500 at a good price... don't hesitate!

30. blormore

blormore

Great article, great comments!

31. eatclicklove

eatclicklove

Does de Epson perfection V500 scans sprocket holes and wide negatives?

32. dooby

dooby

@eatclicklove yes, it does. feel free to get in touch if you need any pointers. and take a look at my snaps - all scanned on the V500

33. g1toons

g1toons

so does this epson scanner work with the Lomography DigitaLIZA 35mm and 120?
  34. nural

nural

I still send your article link to anyone who asks for scanner advice!

6 months ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 日本語, 中文(繁體版) & Spanish.