The Last Roll of Kodachrome

Signalling the end of an era, freelance photographer Steve McCurry takes out the last roll ever of Kodachrome to document his trip to India. Find out more about the last 36 shots of this incredible emulsion here.

Photo by: copefan

As some of you might know, Kodak announced late last year that they are discontinuing Kodachrome, the reversal film of choice of professionals since 1935. It’s not all heartbreak though, as ace photographer Steve McCurry was given the privilege that we can all dream about – to shoot the last 36 frames EVER of the iconic film. He took his precious cargo to New York and India, where he was quoted saying: “I photographed a tribe that is actually on the verge of extinction. It’s actually disappearing, the same way as Kodachrome.” Right now, the last roll is being processed in Parsons, which is the only lab that processes Kodachrome in the world. All 36 of the shots taken by Steve will be sent to the Eastman House in Rochester, New York, where Kodak is based. Rest in peace, Kodachrome. You’ve lived a long and colorful life.

Read more in the Wichita Eagle

written by cruzron

1. nicolas_noir

nicolas_noir

I keep reading that Dwayne's is the only place that still processes Kodachrome, but here in the UK I sent mine to Switzerland I think it was, and it came back from Switzerland too so I think there might be somewhere else that still process it! I've two rolls left to shoot, I'd best get a move on!

2. lawypop

lawypop

hihi i got two rolls from ebay and going to develop them by end of Dec... checkout my 1st roll in LC-A+ http://www.lomograph(…)user-review

3. copefan

copefan

mmmmm............ my picture! I'm taking my last 5 rolls to the USA as i'll be touring round Washington DC and Virginia!

4. ilovemydiana

ilovemydiana

i have one left! i better hurry

5. cruzron

cruzron

make sure to save your precious rolls for that special day of shooting! :P

6. kdstevens

kdstevens

I love that film. Mama done took my Kodachrome away. Seems we are losing a lot of analog films lately with the demise of Polaroid film and the demise of Kodak Ready Load and Fuji Quick Load 4x5 films, the demise of 110 film and so on. Shoot analog...save analog.

7. copefan

copefan

processing in Switzerland ends in November..... !

8. copefan

copefan

I reall like fuji quick load 4x5..... have one box left!

9. panelomo

panelomo

finishing my last roll - and off to Dwayne's soon. can't wait for the results!

10. falsedigital

falsedigital

I really wish they'd show the shots he took with it :[

11. mattydk

mattydk

i've got one roll of K64 and one roll of K25 left. It's sad, looking at all my slides brings a wee tear to the eye. Will get these rolls shot and sent out for processing soon.

12. somapic

somapic

At least in winter you could still send your rolls to kodak germany and they would also stll not charge for development as it was included with the roll...... fingers crossed - one more roll waiting for development....

13. robot

robot

all true, The last day of processing for all types of Kodachrome film will be December 30th, 2010. The last day Kodak will accept prepaid Kodachrome film in Europe is November 30th, 2010. Film that is not in the lab by noon on December 30th will not be processed. (http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/) for polaroid film check http://www.the-impossible-project.com/
  14. metal_guru

metal_guru

I've got 7 rolls of Kodachrome 200 36 exp to trade if anyone has something decent to swap.

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Português.