Lca_120_september_2014_header

The new Lab on Lomography – How to use it

So we've launched the new and improved Lab some hours ago. Some of you have already been testers, and we would like to thank you again for helping us out. To make things understandable for all of you I've made some screenshots that explain what you can do.

So we’ve launched the new and improved Lab some hours ago. Some of you have already been testers, and we would like to thank you again for helping us out. To make things understandable for all of you I’ve made some screenshots that explain what you can do. The Lab is divided into four sections: Photos, Albums, Selection (only visible once you’ve selected something in Photos or Albums) and Upload. There is another section you will hopefully never see: it’s called Errors, showing you what exactly went wrong (mostly during uploads).

Photos

This is the place where you start at – all your photos are shown organized by upload date. On the right side you see all your photos – to do something with them just select some. Clicking on a photo selects it, holding Control (Windows) or Command (OS X) selects multiple photos, holding SHIFT selects a range of photos. Once you’ve selected photos you will see the meta information on the left side (upper area) and see all options just below (like adding tags, cameras, films, countries, cities, titles, descriptions, … and moving photos to an album). To keep load times low we will only show you the last sixty photos – wanna see more? Simply click load more photos. Wanna see a photo large? Just doubleclick it.

Albums

Basically the same as photos, just showing all of your albums. This is the exact order others will see in your Home. You can change albums around with drag and drop, the changes will be automatically saved. Selection works the same as in photos, just the meta information will be loaded only on demand (as some have albums with hundreds of photos in it). Doubleclicking an album will open it in selection.

Selection

Here everything you’ve selected in Photos or Albums will show up. Everything you can do in photos can be done here, too. What is the reason to open a selection? Let’s say you wanna move photos between two albums around: select those albums under Albums, go to Selection and drag and drop (again: all changes will be saved). Or you’ve uploaded some new photos that would fit into one of your existing albums? Select the photos in Photos, the albums in Albums, go to selection and drag and drop.

Upload

Here you upload photos. Well, kind of obvious. Please note: during an upload the title of the section will change to uploading and show you the progress. Additionally you will see if some of your uploads produced an error. All uploads will be shown under Photos right away and no worries, you can switch the section during uploads.

That’s it more or less. One more thing: I’ve made a short video showing you the Lab – it’s without sound (as you wouldn’t wanna hear my teutonic accent) but showing all the features described above. Please let us know what you think, let us know if you got some questions in the comments, we are happy to help.

written by recurving

1. rater

rater

Some comments: 1. Moving more than one photo at the time is not possible, so it is cumbersome to rearrange photos (must be a nightmare for people like mephisto19 & kylethefrench that they upload huge amounts of photos to deal with that!). 2. The two levels of privacy of photos and albums. Once an album is made public all photos inside should be automatically made public also; now people is publishing albums but when you click on a photo is not available as i guess it has not been made public the photo. 3. When uploading photos it is nice that they are arranged inside an Unsorted private album (as in the old lab), it is easier to deal with recent uploaded photos inside a private album 4. Seems like the update of the new lab has some side-effects on the rest of Lomography pages: number of comments on posts are not counted well, not able of editing profile, submissions to rumbles not possible from magazine pages...

2. superlighter

superlighter

you forget to mention that when you are in the Photos page it's possible to create a new album with all the photos that are selected.

3. cyan-shine

cyan-shine

Nice job on the lab, I have been waiting for ages to upload new albums, as the old upload was faulty, but now I have two other problems:
    1. I have b/w shots that are not uploaded because it says they are not RGB. I know you answered this previously, but the weird thing is I never changed anything in my scanning procedure, so I don't understand why they suddenly are not accepted.
    2. When I pick a new key photo for an album it still doesn't change to put it as the new cover image.
    Thanks a lot!

4. shoujoai

shoujoai

A big like for making the comments easier!
    I also noticed that it is not possible to move more than one picture, but I think after the bugs are fixed the lab is much more comfortable than that before!

5. myloveletter

myloveletter

Nice work on the lab. BUT??? Why are all my super old albums saying that I just published them? They are old and embarassing, but I don't actually want to delete them, but I also don't want atention brought to them. Please help?

6. magicbus

magicbus

well, after six time clicking more albums i always get a error message. so i think there is still a bug. isn't it possible to get all albums at once??
    i miss also a search tool to find albums by name, once you have more than 500 albums in your lab it would be easier this way.

7. recurving

recurving

@cyan-shine: can you send me one of those file by email? so i can look into it? it's recurving(at)lomography(dot)com
    @myloveletter: can you send me the name of one of these albums?
    @magicbus: hmmm, gonna look into broken albums – can you send me the last album name that is still loading?

8. belanick

belanick

is it possible to edit the meta information of an entire selection at once? Not having to write the same info over and over would be great.

9. great_beyond

Thank god - the previous interface was the worse on the internet. Very clunky and SO 1990's. Hopefully the new one stacks up.
  10. trash-gordon-from-outer-space

trash-gordon-from-outer-space

It's gonna be great, once all the bugs are fixed. I hope you guys didn't forget the "deselect album" button. Will there be the possibility to rotate pics?

11. adi_totp

adi_totp

12. gnarlyleech

gnarlyleech

The lay out of the new lab is a lot better. I really enjoy using it. I can;t wait until yall make it flawless. Then it will be a beast. Thanks for fixing all my stuff @recurving

13. ripsta

ripsta

i hope lsi will make a video tutorial on this new lab.

14. recurving

recurving

@ripsta: there is a kind of tutorial: http://www.youtube.c(…)xGbRbXI2m_4 – but we will make one with voice over. you just wouldn't want to hear my voice… really.

15. ahleng90

ahleng90

love the new white lab :D

16. recurving

recurving

@ahleng90: it's not working for you?

17. rifkin

rifkin

It doesn't seem to work with Opera though. When i use ctrl+click technique, it wants to save the picture... Is there a way to fix it?
  18. rifkin

rifkin

19. vicuna

vicuna

During upload, the text stays still at "38 pictures left to be upload" and the tab shows 0/38 without changing... and when I relaunched the page after some time, thinking it get stucked, in fact there were already 4 pictures uploaded.... I regret the % bar where you had a bit the idea what the upload state is.... would be nice to have the % or at least a progression bar....

20. recurving

recurving

@all: we are looking into the albums order thing – and we think we've found the problem. gonna keep you updated.
    @rifkin: opera is a bit strange in that case – it's the only browser to have this feature. i am looking into it
    @vicuna: good point, gonna try to get the percent back

basically: thanks for all your feedback, that helps us a lot to make your lomography experience even better!

21. recurving

recurving

And more features are on the way already: http://twitter.com/l(…)14435825097

22. kylewis

kylewis

I hope the pixelation gets sorted it's driving me around the bend, will I have to re upload or can you sort it? I don't want to put anymore up if they are stuck like that! Thanks

23. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy

How do you publish a new album?!?

24. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy

I'm not diggin this

25. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy

I just uploaded a bunch and theyre all pixelated, this isn't cool guys

26. ripsta

ripsta

i have arrange my album and save it in oder.but when im see my home ,my album not arrange accordingly

27. ariananatalia

i just developed my first roll with my diana mini, but the majority of my pictures (all the cool ones) are way over 5 mb so i cant upload them. how can i fix this?
  28. jeepeng

jeepeng

i like the new lab, questions:
    1. i can't move more than 1 pic at 1 time?
    2. pictures might duplicated in a same album?
    3. where do the newly uploaded picture without tag & description located?(not in unsorted album?)

Thanks!

29. cventura

cventura

Is there a way to replace a photo (that has been already liked, etc) with a higher res version?

30. mcmore

how d'you rotate photos once you've uploaded them?
  31. nicofrog

nicofrog

1) will there be rotation function? 2) select multiple pictures and move to existing album 3) will there be simple edit panel after login to personal page, just like flickr, the lab panel suppose to do more bulk function. thanks
  32. photochrom

photochrom

"There was an error loading your albums."

My albums are not loading in Lab. It worked only twice today.

33. buckshot

buckshot

Lab is very good on the whole, well done. But to make me REALLY HAPPY you need to please make it work better on the iPad 2. Currently, I can't select multiple photos to apply metadata and can't drag photos onto lomowalls. Would really appreciate this being sorted, please! Many thanks in advance.

34. smashrobots

smashrobots

OK, so how do you rotate a picture into portrait?

35. juliepurser

juliepurser

I've been having some problems with my lab, has anyone else???? :(

36. eugene_konovalov

eugene_konovalov

Can you make a lomography app for IOS. Because I can't upload photos from my ipad 2! Thank you!
    over 1 year ago · report as spam
  37. mrklauskinsky

mrklauskinsky

How do you rotate pictures?

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 中文(繁體版), Deutsch, Português, 日本語, Spanish & 한국어.