Don't Hate Analogues!

Don't underestimate the analogues! I said that because many people around me do not support my passion to film cameras. Tons of criticism and negative words came out of their mouths...

I said that because many people around me do not support my passion to film cameras. Tons of criticism and negative words came out of their mouths… "what rubbish is that? I thought people nowadays are using digital cameras already.. “pity you”, I believe you have heard criticism like that ..

The main point is… Do not judge a book by its cover. They do not know about the actual ability of film cameras and what can be done by the analogues but cannot be done with digital cameras.

Excited, happy, surprise elements, there are advantages in analog camera users who do not necessarily have the digital consumer.

Why do I make analogue cameras as part of my life? Because much can we learn through lomography.

• Joy outing, tripping, etc.
  • Element of surprise because no one could anticipate the end of each output file
  • The anxiety everytime we are waiting for the films to get developed and scanned..
  • The happy-accidents-light leaks, blur, overlapped images
  • Lomo also taught me to accept the truth.. accept the result or photos as what they are .. no need to manipulate or edit the images because each image has its own art
  • Meet and share ideas, opinions, knowledge, joy, love and grief with the whole world lomographer at lomohome.
  • Lomo also have teach me a lot about management skills—events, setting up lomowalls,
  • Test of creativity and innovation force, to try something different from the others and thinking out of the box to get the best results or during experimenting with my lomo cams
  • It teach me not to give up and strive to achieve success or to get a good picture.
  • Provide freedom a-“dont think just shoot” and the freedom to experiment.

So, to all analogue haters out there, please dont dare to underestimate our lomo love..you’ll be suprised to see how our pictures can turns into great art!

written by ahleng90

1. mephisto19

mephisto19

i don't hear "why analogue" i hear "why lomo" :( - but what shall i do? lovely phots, nice article! like it

2. vicuna

vicuna

I fully agree with you! :)

3. gnarlyleech

gnarlyleech

This is a great article and really expresses how I feel about film cameras. "Don't think just shoot" does not apply to digital cameras. You are too busy looking at the LCD display to try and get a good picture. And when you press the shutter button, you have to wait for the flash to go off three times and then 2 seconds later it finally takes a picture. You loose the shot you wanted to capture. My lomo lc-a opens the shutter as soon as I press the button, what could be better? Analogue is more fulfilling....

4. kernow_and_cambria

kernow_and_cambria

I also hate the other end of the spectrum when people become film elitists and hate on digital. Worst thing about lomo on facebook is people constantly commenting "I hate digital". I think both have their place! Now when it comes to digital impersonating lomo that pisses me off. I can't bear to see another 'hipstamatic' image!

5. superlighter

superlighter

around me is growing the number of people (especially young people) that approach to analogue photography with enthusiasm. people who only use the digital is often sad.

6. johann_affendy

johann_affendy

well said ahleng90. or might i say "farid star" :D

7. erikamentari

erikamentari

great article! shared on facebook.

Lomography is such a great community/company bringing analogue back.
    I'm so glad it and we all exist. LOMO ON! LOMO 4 LYFE!!!

i'm hooked

8. lawypop

lawypop

Great article ! i luvvvv analogue cameras !

9. vicuna

vicuna

And I can witness that with my Lomographic schoolproject (http://www.lomograph(…)hoolproject) the students were at first a bit sceptic about the idea to shoot with analogue cameras, but after the first shooting session they changed their opinion and asked me everytime: "when will we shoot again?" and they had a lot of fun shooting analogue with lomo cams! :)))

10. eva_eva

eva_eva

Totally agree with u Ah leng! Analogue gives us a lot of excitement and surprises which digital can't. :) Stay Lomo ON for life! :D

11. eva_eva

eva_eva

and, i love analogues. my future is analogue :)

12. ndroo

ndroo

Well said!

13. cinzinc

cinzinc

i asked a guy (thinks he a pro photographer) for a favor to take a photograph of me and my family using my LC-A+ (i wanted to take advantage of all the pro lightings and flash he had set up for a party). and he just said "oh with that toy camera" then looks away. what an asshole. good thing someone else with more enthusiasm was there to take the photograph for me.

14. nural

nural

Amazing wording, you put my feelings into words basically :))
    Everytime someone asks me "is that lomo" pointing at my camera, I get super excited thinking "wow someone else knows this besides me!!"

15. emilios

emilios

@ahleng90: Fantastic article and i do get the same comments all the time. But they shut up when they see the pictures :)

@kernow_and_cambria: I completely agree with you. I have been shooting DSLR for many years now around the globe. Now that im into analogue doesnt mean that I hate digital. Both kinds are a way to capture something that u want to hold on to you memory forever. I just believe that with analogue u can be much and much more creative and thats y im sticking with it. But im not gettin rid of my DSLR's cause the lenses cost me a fortune :)

16. shoujoai

shoujoai

sweet :D
    It's funny when I take pictures of my niece. She always says "Show me, show me!" cause she only knows digital cameras ^_^ perhaps I have to develop a film with her for making her understanding the proces...

17. amsyarhilman

amsyarhilman

Well said !

18. ahleng90

ahleng90

oh..my english is bad :S

19. pulex

pulex

applause!!!!!

20. renaishashin

renaishashin

POWER LA Farid!!! Haha! I agreed with you :DD Analogue!!!! XD

21. ripsta

ripsta

ffeewwwiittttttt!!!! very nice mohd farid!

22. kutshie

kutshie

THE FUTURE IS ANALOGUE!!!!!!!

Awesome article!

23. the_blur

I don't even have a lomo cammy =) I use my cell phone all the time =) I just never use the LCD and I ready fire aim. In that order. Then I don't review what's in my phone till I get home. It works out. I think my phone is about equivalent ISO 50 and it has no flash...
  24. middernachtlopper

middernachtlopper

People didn't understand at first, why having a Canon EOS 400D, I wanted to expend my money in old film cameras. The Fisheye No2 was a toy, but the LC-A? A waste of money. But they love to see the results, and share my fun, and happyness with them! So I supposse my friends and family think my cameras are great and expensive toys. And what strangers think, I truly don't care :)

25. hughh

hughh

I'm living with a mate this year who is an amazing digital photographer. We both have a completely different style, me with my analogues and him with his DSLR, but it's great to see photography from a different perspective. Both styles have their value and you can learn from both. It's all about looking at things differently

26. lazyorbit

lazyorbit

people usually can't grasp the concept of a film camera. whenever they see my pink fisheye or my actionsampler they keep asking "is this thing real? does it work? where's the preview screen?"

they then give a funny face when i tell them it's a film camera. they will then ask, "you have film in this thing?!"

only when the pics are out that they know how fantastically cute this thing is!

27. gnarlyleech

gnarlyleech

My favorite is when I have my old Argus A2F camera (built in the 1939) with me and people ask me "Does that thing take black and white pictures or something?" LOL They have no clue. But when I try to explain how film cameras work they loose interest cause they don't care. :( oh well, I care. :D

28. nicolas_noir

nicolas_noir

I'm lucky that most of my friends are very supportive and want to see my photos, and a lot of them use analogue cameras too, the only person who isn't supportive who when she saw my Holga said "Is it broken already?" I love sharing my photos with my kids too. @shoujoai The best thing to get kids the instant demands of digital cameras is instant cameras - my kids were enthralled when I got a Polaroid camera, and the film pops out into their reach!

@ kernow_and_cambria I think the hate digital is down to one person actually...

29. ipdegirl

ipdegirl

Amen to that, my friend!!! I feel bad for the digi-heads out there. Digital has it's place but it sometimes sucks the fun out of photography. Film injects the fun into it!

30. ipdegirl

ipdegirl

@ nicholas_noir: you are SPOT ON about the instant cameras! My kids LOVE my old Polaroids and beg to take pictures with them. They especially love sharing them with their friends, who in turn say "My Mom should get one of these cameras. They're really cool"

31. kdstevens

kdstevens

Maybe we're a little more used to weirdness in California or maybe it's because I am bigger than most people but I've never been ridiculed about using toy cameras. Most people seem very interested and when they see the results they are blown away. Lomo on.

32. anasampaio

anasampaio

That's funny! I never get that sort of criticism... My friends and family loved the idea when I first started as they were always complaining that with digital you take thousands of pics and never see them again. They're getting analogue cameras for themselves too or dusting up old ones! =) Now, about lomo... I must admit they're not into it... yet! =)
  33. vickling

vickling

I agree!

34. simonjamesonweston

simonjamesonweston

I have digital SLR, point and shoot cameras and a host of analogue - mainly original Ukrainian and Russian and the odd german in there - and think it is a horses for courses issue. Analogue people shouldn't look down their noses at using digital any more than the other way around. They are both valid art forms, as is using photoshop or painting watercolour onto black and white images or any of the other outlets of the art form.
    you can take a shitty picture with any camera and like wise for a good one