My First Great LOMO LC-A Race Shots.

The race is well and done, but stouf has a special treat for us: This is a chronicle of my turn in the LC-A Race and how I understood why everybody is crazy about the LOMO LC-A!

When I received the LOMO LC-A for the race, I knew three things. First I had missed my stage, but that was conveniently pulling me out of the paradoxical position of being both a judge and a participant of the race. Second I had the camera during the Christmas break, and I could take it with me for my Christmas trip from Quebec to Paris. Third I was very excited to finally try the mythical Lomo Kompakt Automat!

As I was going to be in two very different cities in a short period of time, it was a great occasion to do some Quebec-Paris doubles. So I shot a few rolls in Quebec city first. One roll for normal doubles, and few rolls for split doubles. As I didn’t have a Splitzer, I just taped half of the lens with electrical tape (and taped the opposite half when I shot in Paris), top-or-down and left-or-right.

Except the doubles, I shot 7 rolls in Paris. Let’s see one gallery per roll, as each roll as its own characteristics that deserve to be mentioned, and also because it’s the best way to follow the chronology of the trip.

Roll 1.
Film: Kodak EPR 64 (outdated in 1989). This is my favorite film, but I have only few remaining of this batch I bought years ago. Just as wines get better with age, this one gained a characteristic pink-purple tone that pleases the eye. As the LC-A’s ISO can’t be set lower than 100, I slightly pushed the process for this film to avoid the underexposure (process @39°C and + 2 minutes of first developer).
Spots: Panthéon, Jardins du Luxembourg, Place d’Italie.

Roll 2.
Film: Fuji Provia 400f (relatively fresh film). A big grain and a shift to orange tones in long exposures make me think that I should stop processing with outdated chemistries…
Spots: Place d’Italie, Bibliothèque François Mitterrand, Cinémathèque Française (where I saw an amazing exhibit about ‘praxinoscopes’ and painted films and accessories of old classic movies).

Roll 3.
Film: Kodak EPP 100 (outdated in 1998). This one looks almost normal.
Spots: Notre-Dame, Quais de Seine, devant le Musée d’Orsay, Tour Eiffel.

Roll 4.
Film: Kodak EPR 64 (outdated in 1989).
Spots: Sacré-Cœur, Musée du Louvre, la Mosquée de Paris, Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle, Fête foraine au Grand Palais.

Roll 5.
Film: Fuji Provia 100f (fresh film). Slightly underexposed, nice contrasts and no major color shift. Obviously reacted better to my old chemistries. Close to be boring.
Spots: Fête foraine au Grand Palais, Musée du Louvre, Panthéon, La Grande Roue, centre de Paris, Quais de Seine, Tour Eiffel.

Roll 6.
Film: Kodak EPP 100 (outdated in 1998).
Spot: La Tour Eiffel, Château de Versailles.

Roll 7.
Film: Kodak EPR 64 (outdated in 1989).
Spot: Château de Versailles.

Extra: Animated gif, ‘the silly fractal loop’:

My opinion about the LOMO LC-A:
OK, I admit, it’s a fantastic camera.
A delectable MX button for easy double exposures, a wide fast and sharp lens in the palm of your hand, and an incredibly trustworthy light-meter are the three reasons why they call it the Lomo Kompakt Automat. And now, it’s simple: I want one !

written by stouf

1. emilios

emilios

Ela re!! Epitelous. Bravo foveres fotografies! Poso kairo sou pire na ta kaneis develop?

2. panelomo

panelomo

dude, this documentary just makes me wanna go back to Paris and shoot lomo again! :) good job!

3. nural

nural

I cannot go through the galleries from this computer but even the first shots are amazing!

4. rater

rater

Great Stephane!!!!!!!!! It is a delectable read and great photos!!!! And I love your silly fractal loop, I see how busy you are with the redaction of your thesis...

5. renaishashin

renaishashin

Very nice review bro! Love those shots :D The animated gif looks trippy haha!

6. mephisto19

mephisto19

am at home with a lame internet connection, but will look at the gallerays asap! the keyimages are alreadyAMAZING! and finally your lca-shots. so incredible, you haven't one or two or three of them....!

7. stouf

stouf

Yeah ! Here they are ! Thanks so much everyone ! I'm sorry the animated gif is slowing everything down... Maybe someone could edit the post and put it as external link (and not embed...) ? Sorry for that...
    @emilios: Efxharisto filarako, olo to process ya 10 films einai guro stis 3 ores...
    @panelomo: Thanks buddy, I remember your super shots of Paris !
    @nural: Thanks, hope you'll find a way to see all the shots... I know it's a bit too much though...
    @rater: Gracias hermano ! Ahaha you caught me ! I just hope my supervisor will never fall on this site... 8D
    @renaishashin: Thaaaanks !
    @mephisto19: Nice comments from a LCA master are of course very appreciated ! : )

8. adi_totp

adi_totp

holaaa broo! nice work! love the animated gif! it's like a visual art

9. xbalboax

xbalboax

amazing re! ill send you the doubles from the race later today. great work as always!

10. lawypop

lawypop

WOW! i want go paris!! and great show !! :)

11. stouf

stouf

Thanks friends !!! Ho, for the record, the original title of this post was: 'Contribution to the LCA Race, my first LCA shots.'

12. bongofury

bongofury

BRAVO !! Make me want one LCA

13. dotdotdot

dotdotdot

Gosh.. This is awesome! You made me feel like I'm not worthly of the kind comments you gave me for all my locations entries. Excellent sets there! Truly a master lomographer!

14. stouf

stouf

@bongofury: Yeah, I'm a Holga lover myself, but I must recognize this camera deserve its fame !
    @dotdotdot: Hooo thank you very much ! And all my comments on your recent locations were sincere, you posted some insane lomos !

15. dogma

dogma

Yeee at last here it is! WoW those gallery's are amazing! One is better the other! You did a great job and i think you definitely need to have LC-A :)

16. mephisto19

mephisto19

looked through the first 240 lca shots on your home... more later.... the mx-doubles are very good!

17. bravopires

bravopires

hey stouf, youre a genius!

18. stouf

stouf

You are all making me so happy... Gosh, I love this community... Lomolove !

19. -a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

-a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

the animated gif, the animated gif, the animated gif...oooh the animated gif, the animated gif...what about the animated gif? the animated gif, the animated gif :)

20. grifter

grifter

Very cool shots, makes me miss France terribly. I am never really inspired to take photos in the town I grew up in.

21. girl_anachronism

girl_anachronism

ah Paris... I love roll one, the pinks and purples look amazing!