Lca_120_september_2014_header

Oh Canada! Please Tell Us About Toronto!

Dear Toronto Lomographers, we need some info about your city!

photo by kino-eye

Dear Toronto Lomographers,

What up? North that is. We’re wondering if you Great White Northerners could tell us a bit about your city. We’re thinking of coming up for a visit, and perhaps you could give us some tips?

For example, where do you like to hang out? Where would the typical Lomographer go to take some pictures, grab a bite to eat, and do a little shopping? What neighborhoods have a cool art scene? Where are the best bars? The must-see design shops? Where do students meet up on weekends?

You get where we’re going with this, right? Toronto is a city we would love to get to know better, and if you could help us feel at home there, perhaps we’ll make ourselves more comfortable…

You can reply right here in this message or email liad@lomography.com if you’d prefer.

Thanks for your help!

written by ouroborosx

1. stouf

stouf

Mmm does that mean there's gonna be an embassy there ? Wowowooo I hope so ! But sorry I don't know anything about Toronto... I'm such a bad Canadian... Maybe it's because I'm a French frog ...8D...

2. disdis

disdis

One of my favorite countries even when I haven't been there.

3. swoononeone

swoononeone

There is so much to see and do! Where ever you are from you would be welcome in this international city!

Kensington Market is a great place especially on weekends. In the summer the have Pedestrian Sundays and close the streets off. Street art, music and the usual market goodness...

The Distillery District is a bit upscale but fun as well. Pikto is located there and is one of the few cross process friendly labs in town. They also carry LOMO! At night there are some nice bars/restaurants to go to.

So many interesting neighbourhoods. Little Italy on College, Chinatown around Spadina, the Annex and many more pockets. There's also one of the world's longest streets, Yonge Street that starts off at the Hockey Hall of Fame stretching north through the city.

Queen Street West used to be the epicenter of the art scene. There are still cool small galleries and shops that from Bathurst west to the Parkdale neighbourhood.

A LOMO meet up in Toronto would be cool!

4. dirklancer

dirklancer

I'm glad you're looking at Canada, but I have two words for you: Forget Toronto. I hear there's a big mall in Edmonton that could use a Lomo shop. Just sayin' ;)

5. em_hoefler

em_hoefler

Toronto would be a great location for a Lomo store. Queen Street West has a great art vibe and lots of cool places and things to photograph there (the albino squirrel family of Trinity Bellwood Park or the awesome graffiiti). The Beaches is a great neighborhood too - beaches and boardwalks and great little shops! There aren't as many galleries as in the Queen Street West area but I still feel like it's a creative area and there would be lots of great places to go to take photos.
    I also vote for Ottawa - we have a lot of galleries and people who love Lomography and analogue cameras...plus, we are the capital!

6. rustyolive

rustyolive

COOL!!! come on up to the cold concrette jungle!! LoL theres lots to shoot.. I shoot 3-4 rolls a week. just walk around downtown.. back allies, side streets.. theres lots of weird trinkets and rusty raw oddness to shoot.. LOL Bars I don't know much about.. the only Pub I go to is the Fox and the Fiddle on John st. and Adelaid st west. And thats only cause I work so close to it.. LOL.. I suggest the wings.. their big and deeeeelishous!! LOL If you need some eyes.. give me a shout! cameronb527@hotmail.com
  7. wuxiong

wuxiong

Yeah, Canada is cold yet beautiful country, and as I know the Canadian people are not at all cold as the weather. In fact they are a bunch of most talkative people in the world. Personally I don't know many who are native born Canadian, but the ones I ever met or know are quite friendly and nice people and of course they all talk a lot...hahaha. I hope will have a chance to visit the lovely country and sure will take my lomo cams...::))

8. boudloco

Great news! Swoononeone sumed it up quite well! Let's not forget Bloor street, and College street. East side starting to pop in. Can't wait to meet the ambassador of Lomo in T.O,, hope he's/she's as cool as th ambassador in Paris...;)
  9. hentor

hentor

There are lots of places to take some cool shots - Kensington Market, Chinatown, the Distillery District, Queen West, Bloor West Village, the Danforth/Greek Town (in summer especially), College St W. (Little Italy, Little Portugal), the Asian night markets in north Toronto in July. There are a lot of design/arts shops on Queen West, particularly west of Dufferin. You may wish to also come out to Hamilton to the James St. North scene - there is a great night art crawl on the first Friday of each month.
  10. rachelleah

rachelleah

the drake hotel is one of my favorite places in toronto. boutique hotel, gallery, bar, venue, & rad restaurant all in one little corner buidling. It's also right near a cute vintage store (69 vintage) and another nice dive bar / venue, the social.
  11. rageris

i 've met many lomographers in toronto but they dont hang out together... myself kensington market is my fav spot to hang out. we should make a lomo community in toronto.....
  12. joe_edit

Toronto is full of photography fun. We have a huge photography festival called Contact, as well as a Nuit Blanche, both of which take over the city. There are various places to buy lomo type cameras, but I've been to your NYC store, and it's way better. Queen west is likely the best area - very indy record store like and boutique hotels, but upscale Yorkville is a choice, and as mentioned throughout these posts, Kensington Market is great. Please contact if you have any questions.
  13. miz_tee

miz_tee

Any of the Black Markets would be fun to shoot in, the Fashion District. Also, the new Sugar Beach - a true city beach - is a super cool place to shoot. Can't wait for the Lomography store in Toronto!
  14. designwallah

designwallah

Saw the Lomography shop for the first time last night, I almost never use this word, but it is "awesome"! It's worth spending some time in - it has absolutely everything you need.