Petzval_header_october_2014

New Cover - Send Us Your Feedback

Che-che-check it out - we have finished phase one of our relaunch with a new cover!

Che-che-check it out – we have finished phase one of our relaunch with a new cover! With a fresh look, our new cover is easy to navigate, has a featured shop link (so that you can easily find your favorite Lomographic goodies), and links to the most important community features, homes, magazine, and photos!

Check out the new cover

As crazy as we are about the relaunch there is still one little thing that we need to do before we can pull the plug on the old site – photo migration! Over the next weeks we will spend countless hours going through your homes and making sure that not a single photo is left behind. Once this is complete beta will become www.lomography.com. Excited? We know you are!

Before we do this we just want to make sure that you are not sad and that you will not miss a single thing about the old site. That’s why we need your feedback! Leave us a note in the comments and we will see to it that we try to satisfy your desires :)

More specifically, please let us know your thoughts about the following:

1. What do you think about the Photos section?
  2. What do you think about the Magazine section?
  3. What do you think about the Homes section?
  4. What do you think about the Cover
  5. General feedback
  6. Let us know your wishes!

written by lucasjakobsson

1. thaiseb

thaiseb

It would be nice to select the avatar in the lab, and not upload a new picture each time we want to change.
    For the new cover, I think it's good.
    Hope there will be notifications when somebody like or comment a picture too.

2. stouf

stouf

The cover is nice ! Everything is fine for me, but in my home, I would just enjoy a section between my avatar and my albums where I could put 3 of my own favourite shots, and comment them...

3. sonjabean

sonjabean

I prefer the old cover. I like the current news section and the blog section and being able to see what things are being added to those sections right at the top of the screen (no scrolling down for it).

The new photo section is pretty cool. The only thing I wish you would add to it is to page through the thumbnails of "most popular," "more recent," etc, instead of having to click on a picture and then page through one picture at a time. Sometimes I see a picture I like and then I have to go through, picture by picture, of ones I don't like. Being able to switch to thumbnails and see 10 or so at a time would be great.

The homes are pretty cool. I like the "activity" section right up front. I wish there was a way to get a lomowall there (but it doesn't seem set up that way). I also wish for a blog feature in the new homes (like in the old homes).

I don't really have an opinion about the magazine section.

The best part about the new lomography, to me, is being able to tag pictures. Being able to search for pictures taken with a certain camera or film or of a specific subject is awesome!

4. hanspan

hanspan

i'm with thaiseb, i'd love for notifications that we can opt in and out of!

im loving beta - although im still trying to figure it all out!

Well Done LSI xx

5. xbalboax

xbalboax

i dig it, but the layout bothers me, like its not right, dont know if the colors dont work together or what something is off. maybe its the shops thats in the middle that bothers me. maybe that should be on the bottom and the news and home of the days in the middle.

i would like to maybe have an option on your home to see recent uploads from you friends. and replies to comments that you made on photos.

i really like the film icon on the browser tabs.

6. xbalboax

xbalboax

i like the new toolbar how you can go straight to your settings, and the look of the edit settings page is real nice

7. vicuna

vicuna

Cool how the new cover looks like, even if the new "colors" in the menu bars aren't so bright as the previous ones... And in the homes, it would be cool if the friends list could have a kind of order, alphabetical or any other (don't have the impression there's a specific order now...), to find easier the link of the one your looking for...
    And of course, for the homes (but that's perhaps coming), I'd really like the wall bulding possibility and the photomail tool....
    Well, must think a bit about the rest, but I like the way the new beta is coming close to his "end" and become the new Lomography.com! :)))

8. vtayeh

vtayeh

I agree with thaiseb, so hopefully that's a small change. In the homes section, I'd like to see the Movies from the old section carries over. I really love my Mini-Movies and a spot for them in the beta site would be great!

9. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

i think it is getting more user friendly but is losing its personality. It seems to favour function over design, and that saddens me *sniff* but i do like the accessibility to other lomographers and their work

10. disdis

disdis

I have problems updating the status and submitting new locations. On the other side, I agree with other people. It would be great to maintain the Mini-moivies, and why not, another request. Why don't you put a way to load real movies that could help understand lomography? I mean, a section of movies about lomography: showing tricks, people taking pics or Lomo movies. Our homes are maybe less interesting than before. There's no wall and it was nice to create designs with lomos.

11. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

i agree with matt,
    in the previous lomohomes it was possible to do all sorts of things with your home page like making walls, embeding video's,... the structure of the home was better before, where the first thing you see are the PHOTOS and not a silly avatar. It's lacking the possibility of personalisation...

Other than that the site is great for navigation and posts and tags and functionality

12. lomosexual_manboy

lomosexual_manboy

()A blog feature in the homes would be great. ()Maybe separating peoples comments to your home from alerts about liked photos and photo comments. A clickable tab that could switch back between the two perhaps. ()The option of choosing an avatar from your lab or downloading one would be nice. ()Alphabetical or the ability to organize your friends. () Perhaps an area where you can save your favorite photos from other lomographers in your home. Like if you add a button under the like this photo as "add to favorites" and it will show up in a special folder in your home as viewable only. () Hopefully there will be a news feed like on the old site. As well as a feed for new articles and contests without having to check those pages individually every time.

13. u-t-e

u-t-e

To the homes section:
    I really like the tagging function and the size of the album display. And of course the activity stream. I like the friends/fan function, the avatar, the fact that you can look at someone's pictures without having to go through a whole album (it's more fun, easier, more convenient, and faster to just browse through all your friends' pictures). I love the high quality of the shots (the resolution) and the fact that I can comment on a picture directly and say whether I like it.
    But I also miss the city shots, photomails, the mini movies, the awards (which I'm sure you will be adding soon), and the lomo wall. The lomo page was made lomo-like by the wall, to me that is a characteristic feature that is evidently also characteristic for all the lomo shops around the world. So why not add the wall to the home as in the old homes?
    And I agree with vicuna: An alphabetical order of my friends list would be quite helpful. And since there is actually enough space next to the "remove friend" button (which I find way too big) I would love to see xbalboax's idea in reality: Information about your friends' most recent uploads.
    As for the cover I think that the shop is too dominant. I would prefer the lhotd, the photo and magazine section in the middle 'cause in my opinion that's what's most important. I understand that LSI needs to sell its products but especially the lomographers here buy the products in this shop anyway.
    And I have a question: Will a non-lomo person be able to leave comments? And will a visitor of my lomohome be able to see all my tags and click on them?
    The photos section I LOVE!!! And I like the magazine section as well.

14. reid

reid

What about something to replace the 'news' section of the old homepage?

15. vicuna

vicuna

Don't like the new colors of the top pages....

16. dirklancer

dirklancer

Things that the beta site is still lacking:
    NEWS & LOMOWALLS & LOMOHOME CUSTOMIZATION

17. dirklancer

dirklancer

On the Photos page: can we see more than the 20 "Most Popular Photos"? Like 30, 40 or 50?

18. vicuna

vicuna

For the cover page, I agree with u-t-e, I was surprised to see first the shop/products, and afterwards the Photo, Magazine and Homes section. Would be better to see these before the shop to show how alive is this community and not only a cameras seller site.... And the BHOTD shot/future wall (?) could be at the place of the first big shot on the top left of the page, I think.....

19. vicuna

vicuna

and ok with dirklancer to have a bit larger (30?) selection of shots in the most popular/recent uploads/submissions tabs...

20. ukaaa

ukaaa

I agree with vicuna agreeing with u-t-e!

21. saviorjosh

saviorjosh

i have been waiting for this day for a long time, but i am sorry i have to say i don't like the new cover at all, especially in comparison with the good old cover. don't get me wrong. i am not just being nostalgic. there must be something missing. maybe it's the news section, or the blog section. i don't know. overall the new cover seems to be too simplistic.

the most annoying thing about the new cover, I guess, is that, like some other lomographers have rightly pointed out, by putting the shop in the middle and other sections at the very bottom, it makes the site look like one of the 1,000,000 online camera dealers that care about only profit and nothing else. this is not what lomography.com meant to be, is it?

i love the magazine section. it's probably the most dynamic part of this site. but i have noted that too many rumbles are focused on the "+" family of cameras which seem to have more privileges than those non-LSI developed cameras (like the holga and the seagull) which are almost totally forgotten. this can be frustrating too sometimes. i do love "+" cameras and i have got 2 lca+s and 1 diana f+. but it's just tiresome to see all these "+" cameras-based rumbles day after day. of course i understand all the costs for developing these cameras must be recovered and marketing and promotion is absolutely fine for me. just please give other cameras a chance so that they don't feel like they are adopted children and don't really belong to this big family of lomography.

as for the home section, i wish to see almost all the features in the old home retained: public albums, weblogs, mission submissions, minimovies, guestbook, etc. of course i want to see that big lomowall for every home cover.

anyway this is my 2 cents. hope you don't get offended by my harsh comments. i mean well. i promise.

22. dirklancer

dirklancer

when I 'mouseover' a picture on the Photos page, can we see the title of the picture or the username, instead of D7c88e09lbe5f12de7c85...?

23. dirklancer

dirklancer

and another thing: the Published Articles in Magazine section doesn't include my older published articles...will these be added when the homes have fully migrated?

24. dirklancer

dirklancer

In Homes can we get a view of all the photos that we have "liked"?
    And how about a Random Home button? I love random homes...

25. eyecon

eyecon

I bet I need some time to get to it again.....what I loved in the old homes was that you can see where a person is from. Tjis was sometimes useful when you traveled to a place and want to meet up with another lmographer....but I bet you are still working on more features....for the new cover - I have to get used to it but it´s alright I guess....

26. jrjw

jrjw

I think the best critique might be derived from asking a different question: What do you really like about the current lomography.com top page? For me the answer would be:

1. Information - there's so much up there, it's laid out nicely, I can see so much without expanding my browser.

2. My favourite bits of Lomography.com are up there at the top - new products, LHOTD, news, magazine... then slightly further down: new uploads, competition info.

3. Everything about it jumps out at you - if I was a first time visitor I would get a good idea of Lomography within seconds, the community is so apparent and it really gives a good sense of how much is going on and the enthusiasm behind everything.

Now let's look at the new beta top page:

1. Information - well, the top half of my browser is now taken up by a large banner and white space. I know monitors are getting bigger but not everyone wants to have their browser window set to full-screen! Is the text "We are Lomography" really necessary? I know that. I just typed lomography.com into my browser (and I assume most visitors to this site are returning visitors anyway). This text is too dominant and it doesn't add anything.

2. Everything I normally look at has now either been removed or is only accessible through various links. Information is scarce and nothing grabs my attention. There's no user content at the top. There's no sense of the vast amounts of activity going on. It looks bland, like a standard blog template with a bit of minor tweaking.

With any significant redesign you will experience resistance to change. But I am not being nostalgic. I can't understand the logic behind this. What was so bad about the original that you feel you have to remove every single feature? I don't want to be too harsh, but it's only because I care :-)

27. snoop

snoop

thanks a lot for your feedback and keep the feedback coming.

concerning the cover, there is one big point we need to point out. there will be a special cover for returning and logged in users. which means you won't see the explanation text and the boxes will be arranged differently, more information will be there. this cover is meant for a first time visitor of the page. and it is also not yet final since this is all on beta and we are very fond to hear your feedback so we can continue working on this.

we want that the cover works a lot more closer with the actual content behind, with the existign cover so many things got lost in the wide world of the page.

so like we said the more feedback the better. if you can also send your feedback to the different areas on the page we would be happy. and we are happy that we are seeing such a good response on the beta page. and always keep in mind, we are still testing and tweaking, that's why we are doing all of this in the safe haven of the beta page.

28. adbigmilk

adbigmilk

I love the new cover. I just can't wait the new shop part. The old one is not usefull... in my opinion...

29. kylewis

kylewis

I generally like the front cover, it is clean, directional and efficient. It does lack a little finesse though, alignment on text bodies are a little out visually and seem a little large to me, unless of course you sit about a metre away from your screen.
    If I was a newbie it would be much more simple to navigate through than the old one, even if I did love the old one!

I love the changes that are going on at the moment,
    The Profile page is good but I hope the banner add is replaced by our LOMOWALLS.
    The ABOUT section would be good if it had the same info as the old site eg. location of lomographer visitors etc...
    The FRIENDS section is great it is good to have no limitations!!
    ACTVITY great! but we also need p.mails and a search on it would be fantastic, finding that lost comment is a pain.
    ALBUMS is a good and a good size
    PUBLISHED ARTICLES great! But keep them up to DATE!

The rest!
    LOVE the albums layout and the new submit to competition button also like the size, it would be great to have an option to view larger for those that want big files up.
    LOVE the comments can we have a response notification as well, in case we leave an in depth comment we need a reply to?!
    LOVE the magazine section and the blogs
    DISLIKES the single upload button is the biggest slowest wind- up ever!!
    LOMOLOCATIONS that are not in the right place or order etc.
    but that's about all that springs to mind!!!

Keep up the splendid changes!

30. u-t-e

u-t-e

I also agree with eyecon: I would like to see where the people are from. And will there be a counter that shows how many people have visited one's home so far? And I agree with vicuna, it would be nice if the LHOTD would be displayed on the upper left.

31. jeremix

jeremix

250px banner / header is a bit high for my 20" 1680X1050 screen.
    On every page, first thing i need to do is scroll down to view "real" content. Why not having shop content on footer instead of header :)

32. jeremix

jeremix

Then, for exemple on that page, below the header we have another 250px hight for tree structure, title, credits & tags... it would be nice to work on that part too... i like when there is space in layouts, but with a 250px banner + 250px title... not very friendly for small screens !

33. dirklancer

dirklancer

Homes page: How about a listing/ranking of users by images uploaded? That way we could see who has the most images, we could watch the rankings change, we BUY YOUR FILM in HUGE AMOUNTS as we try to upload so many pictures that we get to the top of the list... good idea, non?

34. grenoouille

grenoouille

What about: *lomohome wall, *lomohome blog, *lomohome city section, *mini movies, *photo mails, *sorting friends in the order you like, *beta homes look all the same; personalization/tweaking possibilities would be more than needed, it's part of who you are and what you do,*basic formatting tools for text is essential: nobody likes reading a text that does not seem to breath...

35. grenoouille

grenoouille

Also, will you be able to force the migration of lomohomes? I see that only a quarter of the old site' users have migrated their homes. But the 3 quarters that have not are still a huge inspirational source. Letting them vanish in the Nothingness would be a great loss. For instance did you know that amongst your old users you have the now famous French Photographer Frank Juery? He is no longer an "active" user, but it is still interesting to see his first works... Same thing for all the people we met and like that are no longer active users because they had to move on to something else or because they are no longer in this world... death happens... erasing their homes would be a second death... with our shots we produce History... this History should follow us... I hope you'll find a way not to leave anyone behind...

36. ipdegirl

ipdegirl

New cover is nice and clean however, as many above have pointed out, lacking 'personality'. I really love the news feed and check it everyday to see what's going on in the Lomo community. An area dedicated to the awards of the day would be excellent as well.

37. ipdegirl

ipdegirl

I agree with Grenoouille's comments regarding older, non-active lomohomes. I hope they can migrate too. Plus, I really loved all the quirky facts we could include on our old homepages: the quotes, our lomo philosophy, our expertise in cameras. I really hope the new homes will let us be as free, funky and individual as we all feel.

38. eyecon

eyecon

Seems like there is something going wrong with the tipster section - since yesterday I try to submit one and the page is not working....

39. torium

torium

I noticed it too, eyecon. I think there should be a own section for modifications of cameras on the magazine, written by users. Or is there already? Can't find :-)

40. fivedayforecast

fivedayforecast

I had some trouble putting photos that I've recently uploaded into albums that already existed. Don't know quite how to get around having to make a new album every time I upload photos.

41. lomosexual_manboy

lomosexual_manboy

It would be nice to be able to edit your own comment/activity stream. Like when someone accidentally gives you the same comment twice you have the ability to delete one. Seems like a fairly common occurance.

42. xbalboax

xbalboax

feedback on photos - top banner is too big, and it makes me scroll to see the image and then when i click the image to go to the next shot the page scrolls back to the top and i have to scroll back down to see the whole image. this only happens with medium format and horizon shots. its not a big thing, just a pain thats all

43. jaalvarez

jaalvarez

Photos.- I like it a lot !!! The format of ours "lomos" is perfect!!!
    Magazine.- Good !!!
    Homes.- It is very easy to work in it. I´m sure that we must take practise in it, but I prefer this one !!
    Cover.- Simply, but funny...
    General feedback.- We are the champions, Lomo on !!!
    I have only a wish... Stop wars!!! Make a happy World to everyone !!!

44. jaalvarez

jaalvarez

Photos.- I like it a lot !!! The format of ours "lomos" is perfect!!!
    Magazine.- Good !!!
    Cover.- Simply, but funny...
    General feedback.- We are the champions, Lomo on !!!
    I have only wish... Stop wars!!! Make a happy World to everyone !!!

45. catx

catx

One little niggle, when you view a photo that has been submitted in a competition down on the right hand corner of the screen it says "submittet" not "submitted"! *typo master*

46. daniwahlers

daniwahlers

I prefer the old cover too. I liked knowing the news right away.
    And I would like to have access to the lab right from the first page.
    Except from that I love the new page :D

47. haschek

haschek

RSS/Atom feeds for photos of each user would be cool, as well as a REST API similar to the flickr api.
  48. mupplo

mupplo

The header is a little to big but otherwiser overall a nice redesign! It feels new and fresh.

49. majorted

majorted

I like the new cover; easy to navigate, and much cleaner than the old one. But how 'bout you change the cover picture every day or display the home of the day? The photo of the kid with the bubble is great, but not when you see it every time you login...

50. takezzo

takezzo

tagging is the pain in the arse. i also have a flickr account, and their tagging and description scheme is much easier to navigate. especially when you have a lot of pictures in one album, you have to scroll down to select pictures and scroll up to tag. also, autofill function is another thing that kills me. hard to explain, but you know what i mean...