Tagging, aka keywording (as it was called on the old site) is here for us to use and make organization of pictures easy. In order to make it user friendly we need to have a uniform system of tagging among us. Please see our suggestions by "Miriel":http://beta.lomography.com/homes/miriel from the Archive below, these are the main points we believe will help tagging improve :)
Tagging, aka keywording (as it was called on the old site) is here for us to use and make organization of pictures easy. In order to make it user friendly we need to have a uniform system of tagging among us. Please see our suggestions by Miriel from the Archive below, these are the main points we believe will help tagging improve :)
Get a general impression of the image and write down the words that first come to mind
- What is the image all about, what is the „message"?
- What is in the foreground?
- What is the biggest element?
- Which element has the most impact?
- Look at the words you have already used and try to think of synonyms for each important element.
- A Thesaurus can be a great help, but don‘t copy all the words within an entry – some will not be appropriate.
- Don‘t enter a word when the meaning is not familiar to you.
Make sure your spelling/meaning is correct
- If you feel uncertain about a word, better look it up.
Only use relevant keywords
- There is no need to add keywords that are already covered by the camera/film/location-tags.
- There is also no need to add your username to the keywords
- Do not use your models names in order to protect their privacy
- Don‘t enter the names of pets in the keywords
- You don‘t have to describe every little detail of the image – use keywords that are relevant to the message of the image
- Only use a word if the object is actually in the picture or the action is actually taking place. Leave out any information that you may know but that can‘t be seen in the image
- Only use words describing color if the color is very prominent in the image.
- Be careful with mass tagging – when you tag several images at once, make sure that the keywords match every single image
- Try to use Concept keywords (Loneliness, Happiness, powerful, unique…) to transport an emotion or an idea.
- Which technique/tools were used (filters, x-pro, double exposure, etc)
Tags: people, man, woman, sky, clouds, outdoors, red, sport, throwing, catching, playing, ball, active, activity, leisure, xpro
We know, this is a bit excessive and we don’t expect you to use that many tags – this is just an example by our archive geeks… This is how they would do it.