Lca_120_september_2014_header

Round-the-Clock Rumble: Le Rouge - Film Redscaling

Our second installment of 'RTC Rumble' this week involves experimenting with the process of film redscaling to achieve blood-red skies reminiscent of apocalyptic b-movies or faded out photos in rouge.

Our second installment of ‘RTC Rumble’ this week involves experimenting with the process of film redscaling to achieve blood-red skies reminiscent of apocalyptic b-movies or faded out photos in rouge.

Those who have been initiated early on with such an intricate ritual are called to submit their best redscale shots, and will be greatly rewarded.

FM Photo Courses offers a good F.A.Q. on how to achieve the warm-tone effect by film redscaling, if you haven’t heard of it yet.

While everyone’s having fun with our rumbles this week, we will browse through all the great entries over two shots of espresso.

CONTEST DETAILS

Any analog-camera shots are allowed. ONLY photos that are ‘true’ redscales will be qualified. As there are films that produce a similar effect, we ask everyone to fully verify their photos before submitting. As we cannot verify all entries first-hand, it would help us to rule out your entries first.

PRIZES

Since we’re on the topic of experimentation, let’s up the anté a bit for this challenge. It’s like an early gift from Santa’s red sack for the shots that will make us bleed for joy!

• 1st Place – A whopping 20 Piggies
  • Two Runners-Up – 10 Piggies

Deadline – in 24 hours (please check the posting time to guide you through!)

For this rumble, we’re permitting an extra 2 uploads bringing it to a maximum of 5 shots, again at least 768px in either width or height.

For contest rules and further info on prize awarding, uploading issues etc., please read our Rumble F.A.Q.

RUMBLE TIME STARTED: 17 Vienna Time

Extended deadline details are now as follows:
*Sunday, September 21 2008

12mn Vienna Time*

RUMBLE IS NOW CLOSED! PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR THE WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT SOON!

written by kazarareta

1. tommynorth

tommynorth

i dont think i will be able to play this game, it looks cool though, i look forward to seeing the shots

2. mephisto19

mephisto19

i'd love to submit more...

3. fabyen

fabyen

yeah makes me want to try it !!

4. 7samurai

7samurai

"true" redscales

ha ha ha

5. myloveletter

myloveletter

i'm running out now to shoot redscale! i think i can do this in 24 hours...

6. larslau

larslau

This is a great rumble. I don't have any "true" redscale shots though.

It would be great if the deadline was something like 3 or 4 days. Then people would get out and try it out for themselves...

7. japsix

japsix

i'm sorry,but i think i didn't get it.....
    "ONLY photos that are ‘true’ redscales will be qualified. As there are films that produce a similar effect"
    i've got some red shots))) made on Fuji Velvia 100 and then crossed, do they count as "true"?
    or not?)))))
    sorry for annoying,but i decided to check it, before submiting))
    thanks!

8. anarchy

anarchy

Whaa, what a coincidence! Just 5 mins ago I prepared my first redscale roll, too bad I won't make it in time to participate in this rumble...

Mephisto and Jazzgohan: Awesome submissions!!

Questions:

-Do you also redscale slide film and x-pro it? The multi-exp shot by Jazzgohan looks x-pro'ed...

-I chose Agfa ProPack 200 for my first try 'cause I've got lots of 'em and don't mind wasting some on experiments, but I was thinking maybe it's too slow? I was thinking of loading up my LC-A+ a sunny day, set it to 100 and let the camera do the rest... What speed and film do you guys think produce best results? I've seen awesome results with expired Kodak Gold 400...

9. myloveletter

myloveletter

@japsix

No, that isn't "true" redscale. They provided a link that has a complete explanation of how to do it. Basically, you use regular film and put in your camera upside down so the wrong side is exposed. Read the link and it will explain. Good luck! This will be my first time, too.

TO everyone else -- amazing submissions already!

10. anarchy

anarchy

@japsix: Redscaling is when you expose the "wrong" side of the film... there's a link in the post for a more detailed explanation... Not any "red" shot will work...

11. myloveletter

myloveletter

@JEANSMAN

holy wow, those are amazing!

12. japsix

japsix

myloveletter,thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))

13. anarchy

anarchy

I agree with larslau, give us first-timers a couple of days extra days to submit =)

14. mephisto19

mephisto19

ooops... stupid me
    i haven't made true redscale so take my shots out of that competiton if regular x-pro will not count...!

15. kino-eye

kino-eye

I missed the deadline for this rumble by 1 hour. Arrrgh!!!! I have sooooo many redscale shots, real ones too. Not like those faker velvia shots. I know which ones they are too because they have purple tones in the image, when you shoot the film with the base layer facing the lens the red colour layer becomes exposed first instead of last, next is the green layer. The final layer, blue, is not exposed at all as there is a filter between the green and blue layers that block blue light waves from reaching this layer. SO NO BLUE, PURPLE OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR TONES WILL BE IN TRUE REDSCSALE. NOW LOOK AT THE GALLERY AND SEE ALL THE B.S. SHOTS. WHAT A JOKE!

16. 7samurai

7samurai

Go Digital Now!!!

17. anarchy

anarchy

Hey kino-eye, the rumble just started... go ahead and submit =)

18. japsix

japsix

TO anarchy
    thanks))))

19. graefin

graefin

oooh I have to read the F.A.Q. about that...

20. graefin

graefin

ooooooh! I need to try this one out! Sounds great!
    So no rumble entry for me this time...I have a peek at the gallery now.

21. reinertlee

reinertlee

submitted 1. but will continue to submit tomorrow!

see you guys.. & good night!

22. kylethefrench

kylethefrench

I love redscale!!!!!

23. kylethefrench

kylethefrench

wait but do I just have to tell you that they are real redscale? well the albums they come from in my home have been labeled redscale forever so why not believe me, anyways I had a kick ass double exposed fisheye redcale roll that i was supposed to get back sunday but damned sam's club got it stuck in the machine, which is probably because of the tape you use to put the film back together so heads up and watch the tape if you do redscale...

24. brendend

interesting rumble, sadly i don't have any redscale, but it's something i'm going to bookmark and save for later :O

25. mephisto19

mephisto19

so again
    DELETE MY SUBMISSIONS! no real redscales
    i was irritated by the rumble title "le rouge" and thought redscales means all tones of red

26. mizzfonky

mizzfonky

this should be a 1 week rumble ...

27. hanspan

hanspan

no time for me to attempt this in the time we've got.. but thats a good thing... as its something to try in the future!!!

28. kylewis

kylewis

I'm not sure if I'm too late or not but check these anyway ..."TRUE" redscaled pinholes on a 'cylindrical cancam!!!

29. dabk0

I finally found out why there was so much red in my pinhole pictures! Just uploaded my "redscale" pinhole :) Cool rumble!
  30. kylewis

kylewis

Apologies for the ridiculous amount of pictures I have uploaded, my server went a bit"funny"
    It's not Spam really!!! ;))

31. adzfar

adzfar

I'm just submitted my favorite images on this rumble :)

32. kylethefrench

kylethefrench

I think there are so many good redscales in the galley already, wow... i mean sure there are a bunch of not real redscales but of the real ones, wow, that airplane over the city one---amazing, the fisheye straight up double exposures, I am in love.... why do rescales sometimes look red, sometimes yellow and sometimes dusty brown? is it exposure time, film speed? what gives?

33. kino-eye

kino-eye

I've just uploaded my images. I am so out it, I was a day ahead of myself. The scans have been rotated so the text displays the right way. If you were to get prints from the lab everything is usually reversed because you have shot the film backwards. They are all shot on fuji superia 400 with my lca.

34. scatter_brain

scatter_brain

has anyone shot redscale with slide film before?

35. myloveletter

myloveletter

CAN YOU DO REDSCALE WITH MEDIUM FORMAT FILM? I was wondering if the paper backing would make it not so... possible.

36. myloveletter

myloveletter

hhmmmm... well, i was trying to do online research to answer my own question if you can do redscale with medium format film. i didn't find anything about actually using medium format film to do redscale, but i did find information about using 35mm film in a medium format camera, making it easier so you don't have to take the film out of one roll, tape the film from another roll, etc. should have thought of that... anyway, thought i'd share!

37. eastmoe

eastmoe

upload already..

38. jeepeng

jeepeng

5 bloody pics uploaded! >:-)

39. myloveletter

myloveletter

seriously! does anyone know if you can do redscale with 120 film?????????????

40. myloveletter

myloveletter

ok, sorry... so... what i have finally managed to find is that 220 film works great because there is no backing paper. 120 film is possible yet tricky. you have to unroll the film, remove the backing paper, then load upside down. i am still interested in hearing if anyone has actually "true"ly tried this, though.

41. scatter_brain

scatter_brain

ive got a roll of the 120 redscale shot. im gonna try to develop it in time tomarrow to put up here. all i did was unroll it and flip the film over and re-taped to the paper.

42. aldo_mariano

aldo_mariano

I love this Challenge.
    In particular, the red with passion!

43. thitasigma

thitasigma

44. jazzgohan

jazzgohan

@myloveletter : the redscale comes mainly from x-pro of the velvia film.

45. scatter_brain

scatter_brain

i thought it was shooting through the wrong side of the film???

46. champi

champi

Here are mine... 2 pics from a double I did with MissKhali... Gotta do some more redscale someday!!

47. lolfox

lolfox

ooops there was me just thinking they wanted red pics so i submitted a few astia and kodak EIR pics

now i've read the info about redscaling on the link

oh well, you can discount my entries

48. gregmarshall

gregmarshall

My 5 are uploaded - London Eye / Houses of Parliament - and NO there is NO post processing at all - all Fuji Astia or Sensia Xpro and in camera...

49. tmmluis

tmmluis

Redscale is NOT x-pro, read the link!
    God damn hippies!!

50. kazarareta

kazarareta

hi everyone, we have extended the deadline for this rumble - please head on over to the details at http://beta.lomograp(…)ng-extended

51. superlighter

superlighter

RED SCALE!!!! WOW! I'm so fucking excited, I'm scanning my first REAL red scale roll now and the result it's so cool at my eyes! Thank you guys for make me do this great experiment!
    I'll upload my 5 soon.
    I've use a fujifilm Superia XTreme 400 and shooted at 200 on my LCA.

52. myloveletter

myloveletter

@jazzgohan : ummm.... you should maybe read the information/details.

<b>EVERYONE!</b> READ THE DETAILS! GEEZ LOUISE!!!!

53. superlighter

superlighter

DONE! I LOve RedScale!!!! Taking Away all the Blue from our Life! PURE PonO!

54. wherearemysunglasses

wherearemysunglasses

I would delete if I could, but I don't know how. Disregard mine, I didn't read the instructions... sorry :(

55. kino-eye

kino-eye

Man! This rumble has become so convoluted with images that are NOT redscale. Is it so difficult to read instructions? I really don't see the point anymore. LSI should just erase the rumble gallery and start again fresh with a new deadline. When you upload it says "images may take a while to appear in the image pool as we want to look at everything and only show the best". This is obviously not the case as so many non-redscale images have made it into the gallery. Either that, or the folks at LSI don't know how to spot a fake redscale shot. I posted this before and I'll do it again cause people aren't getting it. NO BLUE OR ANY SHADE THERE OF (THAT MEANS PURPLE TOO) EXISTS IN REDSCALE AS THE BLUE EMULSION LAYER IS FILTERED OUT BY REVERSING THE FILM! JEEZ! I'm sure at least one of those velvia shots will win too!

56. kino-eye

kino-eye

Golden rule #5 sure is dominating this rumble! Don't Think!

57. tmmluis

tmmluis

@ kino-eye
    lolol :D

58. diablitomx

diablitomx

listo, i love redscale.

59. magicbus

magicbus

well, this morning i was'nt really awake, so you can take out my pics.
    lomo on and good luck to everybody.

60. emiliano451

Red and violet sky taken with Fisheye 2 at Tilcara, Humahuaca and Purmamarca, Quebrada de Humahuaca, Jujuy, Argentina.
  61. anarchy

anarchy

Wow, this sure has been a wild ride, but here are my top 5 picks from my first ever redscale project =) I'm gonna blog about this one...

BTW,
    the shots are 100% true redscale, shot today on reversed Agfa ProPack 200 with my LC-A+.
    Processed normally in C-41... and no colour correction whatsoever!

62. myloveletter

myloveletter

@anarchy - wow, that is beautiful, intense red!

63. anarchy

anarchy

@ myloveletter:

Thanks =)

I wasn't expecting much for this first roll due to my non-existant experience with redscaling and I was pretty sure I'd get only blanks, but when I saw the results it pretty much blew me away...

I think Superlighter put to words how I feel as well: "RED SCALE!!!! WOW! I'm so fucking excited"
    Hahaha =)))

64. kino-eye

kino-eye

@ emiliano451. Your shots are not redscale, they are clearly x-pro'd velvia. See my previous postings for a description of real redscale.

65. kylethefrench

kylethefrench

hey Kino-eye--- is it ok if I have a redscale that is all purple and blue? is that real? No. No, I kid, actually I also can see your point about people not reading directions etc---um but for real on one of my shots ---the one with the girl on the beach, actually I submitted that one to urban nomad also, so in that shot her blue towel in the picture is almost coming through blue sorta, maybe it is green looking, I am not really sure, what do you think? and yes that is 800 speed kodak c-41 backwards in an LCA inside a crap set to 100 speed... any ideas?

66. kino-eye

kino-eye

@ kylethefrench. That shot definitely looks authentic. When you shoot C-41 film the normal way, the blue layer is exposed first, there is a filter between the blue layer and the green and red layers. The reason for this is that green and red light have larger wavelengths that blue and more green and red light will penetrate the emulsion, the filter ensures and even distribution of the RGB spectrum. When the film is reversed the red layer is exposed, followed by the green layer, the blue light wavelength is so short that becomes completely blocked by the filter layer. As red light has the larges wavelength and it is being exposed first the majority of tomes will be in the red to yellow spectrum and often you will see pink tones as well. Sometimes depending on the subject and light conditions you will get a dusty brown colour. The green layer is still exposed so and green or cyan green tones will still show up, they are just less prevalent as green light has a shorter wavelength than red. But as I have said before you will not see blue , purple or violet tones in true redscale.

67. kino-eye

kino-eye

@ bbg_mae07. What type of film were you using? Those shots are crazy, so much green exposure, I dig.

68. larslau

larslau

I got my first roll today. I used lomofilm and the shots are sort of yellow-reddish... It's great that you can get a result like that out of an ordinary color negative film.

And btw. I used my Fed 5B for the first time.

69. vegar

I tried this earlier in March 08. Well suited for the winter time when regular colours
    are dull and dirty. I used Fuji Superia 400-800. Puts out some solid reds. I've seen some
    nice golden sepia looking ones from the Agfa films overexposed and redscaled.

70. kazarareta

kazarareta

@kino-eye: sorry this reply's late, everyone was out for the weekend. We currently do not have an assigned manual delete function for the entries yet -- thus we can't delete those that do not qualify. The staff is definitely working on it, don't worry!

As for judging photos from film experiments and variations is a daunting task for the jury. Rest assured that we really look into the photos. The internal shortlist usually rules out the missent entries already, but there are still some that could pass off as such. Again, penalties can be bestowed on winners who did not follow directions and we have overlooked on our first few passings. The process is still a work-in-progress.

you could check http://beta.lomograp(…)-rumble-faq for more info. :)

71. superlighter

superlighter

I've shoot one second redscale film, a Kodak Ultracolor 400, I've set the camera speed at 100 or 200 iso depending of the light and the results was a big surprise! not only reds but also greens!
    If I didn't see with my eyes I think that this is a fake redscale!

72. mgnuman