Tutorial for the Lab (new upload tool)

This is a short tutorial on how to use the Lab. But, maybe you are like us and never want to read instructions? Although the Lab has new features and is very different from what you have been used to, we encourage you to give it a try without reading on. Just follow this link: "beta.lomography.com/lab":http://beta.lomography.com/lab - write down all your thoughts and let us know. If you would still like some help, please read on...

This is a short tutorial on how to use the Lab. But, maybe you are like us and never want to read instructions? Although the Lab has new features and is very different from what you have been used to, we encourage you to give it a try without reading on. Just follow this link: beta.lomography.com/lab – write down all your thoughts and let us know. If you would still like some help, please read on…

Bascially there are four menu points:

• Albums
  • Selection
  • Image

Upload

Upload is for uploading images (well, what else?): just hit upload, select some files and wait for them to finish. You can select more than one picture at once.

Albums

In Albums you can select the albums you want to edit. There are two special albums: Trash (all the images which are removed from your albums) and Unsorted (all the images you haven’t moved to an album yet). You can also create new albums here. If you want to edit an album simply doubleclick on it and it will open in Selection. Or select an album by clicking on it – if you want to select multiple albums just hold CTRL (Windows) or APPLE (OSX) to do so. You can even select ranges by clicking on the first album you want to select, holding SHIFT, then clicking on the last album – all albums in between will be selected.

Selection

So to get into Selection view you have to select some albums to work with. In this view all those albums are opened and you can see the images. All images can be sorted within the albums by drag and drop. You can even drag images from one album to the other.

Image

To get into Image view you have to select some images.

The general flow is always from Albums to Selection to Image. Apart from moving the images around you can also apply tags to your selection. If you are in the Albums view and have one album selected, adding the tag “summer” will add this tag to all images within this album. If you are in Selection view and have one or multiple images selected adding the tag “summer” will add this to your selection. In Image view only the currently shown image will receive the new tag. Same goes for cameras, film and location.

How to start?

• Prepare some images you want to upload
  • Go to Upload, click the upload button and select some of your images
  • Wait until they are uploaded
  • Go to Album view and doubleclick the Unsorted album
  • Now you should see your images
  • Create some new albums to organise your shots, do so by clicking Create Album
  • Drag and drop the images to the albums (remember you can select more by holding SHIFT or working with CTRL/APPLE).
  • Clicking on the album name will give you the option to rename it

Everything clear? We want to get your feedback on the functionality. Or do you have any ideas on how to improve it? Are there any features you are missing? Bugs? Open questions? Anything else?

written by recurving

1. peter

peter

To make your albums show up in your home you'll have to "make it public" in the Selection view.

2. tveden

tveden

Very nice improvement. One thing, when i select multiple (using ctrl), sometimes images dissapers.
    A nice feature could be to be able to select images from multiple folders, when downloading.

3. vtayeh

vtayeh

I uploaded my first album here and the new features are very easy to use. I love being able to select multiple images at a time and editing them. The sorting feature also very cool, especially when you have a bunch to upload and you can sort them into their own albums later. Super Nice!

4. larslau

larslau

Resizing is kinda slow even when the images have dimension 768 x 512. This could probably be improved...

And a little note: The "Apple"-key is called Command/Cmd. (:

5. recurving

recurving

@larslau: thanks, you are of course right - we will change that. but to me it will always be the apple-key after my french design teacher who always used the phrase "click with finger in the apple" (please imagine with heavy french accent)...

6. xbalboax

xbalboax

not bad, its alittle tricky at first but i like it

7. larslau

larslau

@recurving: I know... To me it's also the "æble"-key. But on new macs there is no apple anymore :-(

8. awhisker

awhisker

Seems good. Shame you can't select a key image!

9. larslau

larslau

How do I delete albums and photos?

10. tomk32

tomk32

You forgot to change the link to one's own lomohome in div#account to the new lomohomes.

11. mubblegum

mubblegum

Is there any way to add photos to an existing album without having to make a whole new album again?

12. peter

peter

@awhisker: At the moment the key image is the first image of the album.

@larsau: If you select albums/images a "Remove selected albums/images" link appears beloow "All Your Albums"/the album title.

@tomk32: Thanks, should be fixed.

@mubblegum: You can select multiple albums in the Albums view with CTRL/Cmd/Shift click; after switching to the selection view the contained images can be arranged to your wishes.

13. ananditya

ananditya

i've uploaded images, but why is there non of them in my home?

14. mrramsey

mrramsey

I may be missing it in the insturctions, but is there currently a way to transfer images from your non-beta home to the new one? To save space on my laptop, I've deleted most of my Lomo pix and don't look forward to putting them baqck in, resizing and uploading and adding text. (Yes, I AM that lazy)
  15. drgonzo900

drgonzo900

I don't know if anyone has asked this question or not, but how do i move images from the unsorted album to an album that is already created? I can't figure it out. drag&drop doesn't work in the "albums" tab.

16. annegreat

annegreat

How can I add a title and description of several photos in an album simultaneously?

17. breakphreak

breakphreak

tried to upload the images and succeeded
    tried to create the new album and succeeded
    tried to move the images from "Unsorted" to the new album and not succeeded
    they are only draggable in "selection" view (with a single album)

the interface is not intuitive (for me), otherwise I could do it during my 5 first minutes and I simply couldn't

still, assumed that all the rest like it - please explain what am I doing wrong

18. breakphreak

breakphreak

still, re-checked it - and it does not work - tried to drag and drop the images - in Selection view the new album is displayed only once just when it is created and not later

means that only when I am creating the new album I can drag the images from Unsorted to it and only if the new album was created while I was in "selection".

something is wrong. Peter, would you please explain again what can be done? That's _very_ confusing.

19. maddyoulook

maddyoulook

how do you remove things from the trash, not delete, but move them to another album?

20. rikkib

rikkib

How do I remove an empty album?

21. hatetofakeit

hatetofakeit

To delete an album select it and look under the All Your Albums title youll see a button.. "delete selected albums" click it and BAM album deleted.

22. toycamper

it's not easy to start a new album and move images between albums! it is not instinctive...or is my computer too old for the new applications? does anyone have the same frustrations moving the images around, between albums? old lomography albums were easier to manage on this aspect.
  23. _shockwave

toycamper - i do, it was very tricky to do, i just did it after carefully reading the instructions, it is not intuitive, it should be considered to change the interface.
  24. olliep64

olliep64

awkward and difficult to move pictures to and from albums
  25. grifter

grifter

I agree olliep64, i just can't move my images from different albums, it just doesn't happen, I am getting a little frustrated with it to be honest.

26. vstephanie

vstephanie

i moved some images into the wrong album. and now im trying to move it back to another existing album, but its not working! help?

27. sanalomo

sanalomo

to me the beta home works fine.. I've tried uploading some stuff, I've tried moving and removing pics and it all works perfectly.. but I just can't seem to say goodbye to my old lomo-home :'(
  28. wendalls

wendalls

Ahhh tricky and frustrating, just wanna throw my computer across the room!!

29. myvitaminx

myvitaminx

fucked-up beta version!

30. lafawnda

lafawnda

I love the uploading options but I much preferred the more "analog" look of the old lomohomes.
  31. birdsandhorses

birdsandhorses

Is there a way to turn or flip an image?
  32. treehugger419

treehugger419

When i upload images and then place them into an album they just disappear when i check on the album again. So i then have to upload the pictures again and put them into the album again. Sometimes it doesn't work at all so I just give up.

33. tnzzz

tnzzz

Haven't been able to get any photos to stay in my albums, they just disappear. Arr.

34. irbypace

irbypace

Moving photos only worked for me once. Now they just get deleted.

35. irbypace

irbypace

Yep. It's a bad service. It just deleted my pictures for the 5th time. Very annoying.

36. irbypace

irbypace

OMG I can't stand it. I just uploaded more images and they are gone after placing them in an album. WTF?

37. irbypace

irbypace

Thank goodness everything is working. It's amazing. Im glad it's working so well. Thanks for fixing everything.

38. ripsta

ripsta

i think lsi should publish a book
    " how to upload photo to beta for dummies "

if the upload method and button are same like the lomohomes
    its much better to understand

39. vtmiller

vtmiller

Took me a while to figure out how to delete an image. I had to select my unsorted album and the trash album/folder, then go to selections, and drag them over. Any other easier way?
  40. analogeye

analogeye

arrrgggh...it keeps telling me my images are too small. even after sizing them to the limit!

41. jimw08

jimw08

Does anyone else think the new version is incredibly ugly? Where has the wall gone?! That was my favourite thing about the lomohome :(

42. knoock357

i do you delete images or albums??? I can't drag the photos or albums into the trash like I did when I was organizing the album. One of my favorite things I liked about the homes were the collages of photos (walls) that you could make it made it look different than any other Photo site and made everyones home unique and striking to look at...
  43. georgelikesmusic

georgelikesmusic

This is so difficult! I can't figure out how to get pics into albums!

44. wackogal

wackogal

It's difficult to use, not friendly at all. 1) I can't directly upload image to album. 2) After I deleted image to the trash, I can't bring it back to album. please help and improve yr system. Thanks ^^
  45. ryuudaze

ryuudaze

how do you delete photos that you don't want? it should be one of the most obvious features, but i can't find it anywhere. perhaps this new page is retard proof.
  46. thefrenchnomad

thefrenchnomad

It would be nice if the interface could extract the METADATA from the file........tagging would be A LOT SIMPLER.....since they are already tagged in Adobe Lightroom. :/
  47. daniwahlers

daniwahlers

@ryuudaze to delete: select the photos you want to delete and click on "remove selected photos from this album" right under the album title

48. daniwahlers

daniwahlers

I'm getting a really weird error when I upload some of my photos. I says: "wrong format (jpeg only)" but I'm 100% sure they are jpegs, I actually saved them in every way possible, for web, normal, flat, not flat....and the same error keeps ocurring, does anyone know why this happens and can give me a little insight?

49. marcela_cuartas

marcela_cuartas

oh god, i hate this, where are all my photos?
    this is very frustrating, i think i'm going to say bye to lomography as a comunity,
    was nice to meet you, i will miss my old lomohome :´(

50. cam122093

51. _fu_

_fu_

I miss the Oktomat animation tool :(
  52. taranoia

taranoia

rotating feature would be nice for portrait oriented photos, and bring back the lomowall page!

53. taranoia

taranoia

54. taranoia

taranoia

55. hannahasprey

hannahasprey

So far, finding it rather counter-intuitive and frustrating because it just SO different from the old homes. Hope I get used to it - I used to love my lomohome :( How do I change the order my albums appear in on my home for others?
  56. mygodisafaggot

mygodisafaggot

How do I move my newly uploaded photos to an already existing album?
  57. mygodisafaggot

mygodisafaggot

How do I delete an album?
  58. mygodisafaggot

mygodisafaggot

Nevermind about moving photos to existing albums!!! I watched the tutorial.
  59. mygodisafaggot

mygodisafaggot

HAHA...nevermind any of my questions. I suggest read the help and watch the tutorials. This is actually really easy to use once you know what you're doing.
  60. letsgorebel

letsgorebel

i dont have any friends... :( how to become friends of all?
  61. ryuudaze

ryuudaze

i really love lomography.com, and like the idea of it becoming geared more towards social networking, but not at the expense of it's ease of use... these new homes are awful, in no way user friendly. i'm tempted to give up, but this site is great for inspiration. even emails to the helpdesk/bugdesk aren't answered, which is a bit lame. yet another question i was wondering if another helpful user could answer: -how do i move images from album to album? because in all of the views available, there seems to be no way to do this; no drag and drop as the tutorial suggests. any ideas? thanks.
  62. ryuudaze

ryuudaze

@ryuudaze - d/w it has been sorted. this site is definately retard proof.
  63. mishpix

mishpix

I, too, would like to know about a rotation feature? @cam122093 "how do you upload pictures off the camera? do you need a chord or what? i own the holga." - Srsly??
  64. mishpix

mishpix

How do you check comments that people leave on photos?
  65. drusilla

I've uploaded two pictures and they're not showing up in my lomohome.. :(
  66. manue-la

manue-la

Sorry to say, but I really miss my old lomohome so much. I miss the wall and also the appearance of the albums. Now everything looks too ordinary, I think. Additionally the lab drives me mad. All my albums (and all my photos) are doubled and it took me hours to delete the albums. Unfortunately nothing seems to be self explaining. Could somebody please tell me how can I change the order of my albums appear on my home and in my lab? In the old home there was also the possibility to send albums to friends. Is this function completely gone? How could I share for example hidden albums with certain friends?
  67. stefpasquini

stefpasquini

moving images from unsorted to an album doesn't seem to be working with me either. maybe it's the explorer version i'm using (7.0.5 italian) boh!
  68. camerabrain

camerabrain

man, I so miss the old Lomography so bad

69. nosiaht

nosiaht

hey, i like the way this new stuff is working. but id say it is pretty hard to learn and thats probably because it takes quite sometime for the slower internet users like me (sigh) to have the page fully loaded. and it becomes so much more complicated to learn...

70. mightymouse

mightymouse

im confused on the panoramic photos. How big do they have to be before you upload them. There should be a special button to push when uploading them so the website will do the work for ya

71. raw

raw

I just spent a good afternoon trying to drive my new lomohome, I read all the instructions and watched the tutorial but as a non nerd its totally impossible. Some of my images are tif format, I was able to upload them on the old home, how does one go about changing a file format with a mac? Most of my images are either too small or too big, how do you resize them? And I miss the expert feature, i was getting quite a collection going.
  72. lomoglam

this seems way more complicated than need be!
  73. bleeptricity

bleeptricity

agggh! new lomo = doing loads of stuff i'd already done again. i'm getting well frustrated. i'd got friends and made my home all orange and nice and the walls looked great. now i have toi individually open each photo to change the description and even when i hit 'save' it is reverting back to the previously saved text. is there a way to change the description for all photos in 1 album please? also, my photos now look well pixelly - they didn't before. why oh why have you done this to us loyal lomo people. i tried to be into it, but i have wasted hours on it now...
  74. ilovemydiana

ilovemydiana

i do not understand how to move images between albums. im still so comfused.

75. roc723

roc723

At first very confusing, at the second not very flexible and last but not least very beautiful gallery interface
  76. anabananaangel

anabananaangel

i dont understand how i can add new images to an existing album. doesnt seem to give me an option. trying to do this is harder than i thought, it was way easier before.

77. thisishuman

thisishuman

How the hell do I move an image out of the trash can into an album. This new user interface is not very intuitive. If you have to create videos on how to use the internet and people still don't get it… then something is over designed. LOMO- bring it down a notch… like umm, more analog. What a contradiction.
  78. roc723

roc723

image rotation tool would be really nice
  79. saymawa

saymawa

so i'm guessing no one has figured out how to move images out from the "unsorted" album.

what a helpful tutorial page. O_o

80. haschek

haschek

It would be really cool to have the possibility to COPY photos that we can have one photo in different galleries (like the portrait pic in 'portrais/faces' and 'Travel 2009, City XYZ') but only one time in the photo stream.
  81. unzaunza

Everyting shrunk and I can not read anything on my screen!
  82. rabidshark

rabidshark

How do I get the images to my home page?

83. kimdaehyun

kimdaehyun

I uploaded more than hundreds pictures on my lab. If I want to submit a LomoLocation, should I upload images again? I want to use photos I've uploaded before on my lab...

84. kimdaehyun

kimdaehyun

I uploaded more than a hundreds pictures on my lab. If I want to submit a LomoLocation, should I upload images again? I want to use photos I've uploaded before on my lab...

85. kimdaehyun

kimdaehyun

86. goldfishy

When I'm in my unsorted album, I can't drag the images into my albums.. because they aren't there, it's just 'create new album' It's probably really easy, and i just seem stupid but... help haha
  87. pawsinart

pawsinart

Ooo...this newbie doesn't think this is intuitive at all - still struggling with making the photos visible!
  88. dreamdistortion

How do I add photos from Unsorted to a preexisting album?
  89. cangia

cangia

@dreamdistortion CTRL-click on multiple album on album window. Then you can move photos between them. BTW, no news on ratation?
  90. daylightsecretsyells

daylightsecretsyells

my photos arent coming up on my home even when i make it public?
    what do i do?

91. abbym

abbym

After an absence and a whole lot of photo up loading to do, i am finding this site a but frustrating!!
  92. sirio174

sirio174

How to delete photos in my TRASH?

93. vinyl_otter

this was somewhat helpful, but none of my images would load, because they are supposedly to small. can i remedy this without having to go get my photos enlarged? they're 3 by 5 inches.
  94. kalai

just spent the last two hours mucking around with this w/out reading directions first - now i am glad i did - thank you!
  95. atkinson

atkinson

All good, if simple. I'd like a rotate feature. Also, using a mc, I rotated the images on my local disk and uploaded them, however they are still the wrong way. I think Flickr is a good template as far as features / functions go.

96. kimdaehyun

kimdaehyun

I hope that I could rotate my pictures on the lab directly.

97. kozor

kozor

Is it possible to put 1 photo in more albums?
  98. pixie

pixie

i'm trying to upload some jpeg images i took with my fisheye but it sais "error: invalid format (only jpeg)".. can someone help me please?!!
  99. nickjessop

nickjessop

i am really struggling.I'm new to this just uploaded couple of my pics but cannot get them into one of the two albums i've created.It looks simple but it's just not working.I cant drag and drop.I have an Apple by the way not pc
  100. oriontrail

Why I cannot upload images that are 700x700 pixels in size? That's too small for Lomography? I need to upload 50 Megapixel scans??? That's insane :P :D
  101. reflex

reflex

a rotating tool would be great

102. imaguoy

imaguoy

How the heck do I delete photos? I tried every suggested method here and none of them worked! There NEEDS to be an easy delete button.

103. lamadude

lamadude

@imaguoy the solution to delete an Album is easy. Step 1: select the album you want to delete. Step 2: select change visibility or delete on the left hand side Step 3: Click in the "Delete Albums" button
  104. juanperez

juanperez

How do I erase photos?
  105. gelibee

gelibee

@juanperez just go to the lab section, choose the photo/photos you want to delete and on the left side bar, you will see change visibility or delete. Hit delete and you're good to go! :)

106. algernon

I have uploaded photos and can see them but they do not appear in my Unsorted album, how do I move them to a specific album. Please accept my apologies for this question which I'm sure has been asked many times before but it's driving me mad.
  107. pawtucketpatriot

pawtucketpatriot

how do i delete a photo of my lab??
  108. gelibee

gelibee

Hello @pawtucketpatriot! Please refer to this link :) http://www.lomograph(…)lab-section

109. gelibee

gelibee

Hi @algernon, maybe this link will help you: http://www.lomograph(…)lic-private

110. heavenkot

heavenkot

how do I delete photo from one of the albums in which it appers and keep it safe in the other album? Dont want to reupload it.

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 日本語, Spanish & 中文(繁體版).