Relaunch: New Lab (upload tool) and Homes (your gallery)

Some days ago we kindly asked for some test users to try out our new Lab. We got great feedback from you - positive and constructive. This helped us a lot to improve everything and now the time has come to launch it for all of you. Bear in mind that it's not completely finished yet, some features will be worked in over the coming weeks. Even so, we are more than happy to hear your feedback.

Some days ago we kindly asked for some test users to try out our new Lab. We got great feedback from you – positive and constructive. This helped us a lot to improve everything and now the time has come to launch it for all of you. Bear in mind that it’s not completely finished yet, some features will be worked in over the coming weeks. Even so, we are more than happy to hear your feedback.

A shot from the Lab & Homes newsletter photo shoot

Some of the main features of the new Lab:

• Use tags to describe your images
  • Link images with a location
  • Upload multiple shots at the same time
  • No need to resize your images any more
  • Tell people the film as well as the camera you used

So if you’ve already activated your beta account, please give it a try at beta.lomography.com/lab – if you haven’t made the move yet, please do so at beta.lomography.com/signup. Read a tutorial on how to use the Lab here!

But what use is the Lab with nowhere to display your images? Homes are your personal little corner of Lomography. We’ve been hard at work on them too. Not all features are up-and-running yet. Right now Homes on beta are for image presentation only – but look out for the new social features that will be coming up soon! Visit Homes at beta.lomography.com/homes

• Receive comments from other users
  • Search by tags, cameras, films and locations

And don’t worry – your old Lomohome and its images and albums are safe on lomography.com! Everything will be integrated on the new site once it’s finished.

Let us know what you think and please report any bugs you stumple across. Thanks again to you and especially to the team behind beta (as this is said all too rarely).

written by recurving

1. graefin

graefin

soooo when I upload images via the new lab those images/albums are visible in my new home and my old lomohome?! But the albums of my old lomohome are not yet in my new one...am I getting this right?

2. peter

peter

The images you upload in the new Lab will only show up in the new Homes. There will be the possibility to migrate old albums and images from your old lomohomes, but not the other way around.

3. vtayeh

vtayeh

Is there a way to see the larger image of another users shot?

4. scootiepye

scootiepye

I am having some issue after having created a single album with images to then add more to that album ... any suggestions ?

5. d_i_hunter

d_i_hunter

That all seemed pretty straightforward! Much improved now that resizing is done automatically. The buttons where you click to add the camera/film info were a bit sluggish though.

6. graefin

graefin

sooo, my home will bit by bit be transferred to my new home - or at least the albums I want to have in my new home....but I don't have to upload all my images again through the new lab?!?

7. xbalboax

xbalboax

man i hope that there is an easier way to transfer the old home to the new one, i just have way too many images. and what about all the photo mails are we gonna lose them?

8. superlighter

superlighter

I can't access the LAB !

9. paper_doll

paper_doll

why are people saying that we have to transfers all our images ourselves? i thought lsi would do that.
    "Everything will be integrated on the new site once it’s finished." what does this mean?

10. mandi

mandi

...but!
    do you insist in having your little lowres images in the new version or would you like to present your fat shiny goodlookin ones?
    hail to bigger images!

11. smarts

smarts

How do I add photo's to an existing album?
  12. agrimony

agrimony

i am not able to upload even one image.

13. zoe191

zoe191

is it just a gallery now like flickr? no more lomowalls? i liked those randomly arranged lomowalls when i upload albums in my old lomohome, and the profile wall that i can customize.

14. recurving

recurving

dear all! this is still not the final version. right now the homes are a gallery for your uploaded shots - but no worries, features like the lomowall will come, too...

15. babybath

babybath

50 images a day? well it would help if there is a running clock and calendar on the site so people from other countries will know when they can upload again

16. paper_doll

paper_doll

that's a good point...

17. tomk32

tomk32

@babybath I guess with 50 being such a high limit it's more a soft limit. Did you already try uploading more than 50?

18. vegar

It would be nice if the username would be listed in a caption below each image in the "most recent galleries" and "most recent user uploads" like on the old site. Yes all for the lomowall.
    I'll probably begin uploading my first 30+ rolls since January when the site begins to come along a little further.

19. peter

peter

@babybath: If one reaches the limit a count down appears which shows the time until the reset. The upload limit is probably only temporary - we added it because we wanted to have some control over the server load after the launch.

@graefin: You will be able to choose the albums you want to migrate to your new home.

Also other information from the old homes - like the guestbook entries - can be transfered.

@smarts: You can select multiple albums in the Albums view with CTRL/Cmd/Shift click; after switching to the selection view they can be arranged to your wishes.

20. makeyuu

makeyuu

The lomo movement! Great!

21. jonasfx

jonasfx

yo~ uploading doesn't seem to work with firefox (on vista)
    uploading with ie works like a treat though :)
    buuuut.. I would prefer using firefox.
    pretty pretty please? with a cherry on top? hehe, ok. gonna go check what happened with them uploads.
    cheers!

22. smarts

smarts

Well, I guess i´m too stupid to use this thing. Yesterday I could upload 2 in a newly created album. I can´t seem to get another photo in my only album since then. So switching between albums is not my problem.This is like higher science and therefor not useable for me, I guess. I realise your still developing. I'm using Vista and FF, but IE doesn't do the trick either. Good luck on developing!
  23. babybath

babybath

@tomk32: yup now im in the process of uploading 14 rolls of film O_o
    I noticed the count of how many i've uploaded for the day. Right now I already reached the limit. I guess I just have to be patient. Its ok no biggies :-)

24. alex-vidal

alex-vidal

seems great but i tried uploading using firefox and safari on a mac on both page got stuck at 28% of the first image..
    anyway keep up the good work.

25. jonasfx

jonasfx

ah, forgot to come back here yesterday. was a bit fiddly first but I caught on fast. nice work with the shift and ctrl moves~
    I'm liking the tag pop-up suggestion thingie but I guessit could be optimized with prioritizing tags that already have been used by the user. so use that tip, or just take a break and drink some juice. hahaha~ cheers!

/the user you saw sueing a saw fusion

26. obeywan

obeywan

hi! uploading doesn't seem to work anymore on safari, and firefox on leopard. weird. i can swear i was able to see the upload interface before, but now it's not happening.
  27. peter

peter

For me upload works in Firefox and Safari both on Windows and OS X Leopard; I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

28. he_is_me

he_is_me

Uploading doesn't work for me using Camino 1.6.1, but seems to be working on Firefox 3.0.1... How come?

29. jupiter_farms

The upload thingy is neat!! When do you expect to be done with the betas? I don't feel comfortable working on two sites.
  30. jupiter_farms

31. jupiter_farms

Sorry.. just posted twice. I was confused because I expected the newer comments to be on top and not down here. Also, you should be able to edit/delete your own comment.. in case somebody screws up like I did.
  32. ilovekotatsu

ilovekotatsu

I love that we can comment on peoples individual pics now.. Fabulous!

33. plaidleaf

plaidleaf

i wish that there was a way, like with the flickr uploader, to be able to tag your images before you upload them (like in the metadata of the image, for example in adobe lightroom you can do this, and i spend hours doing it so i don't have to type my tags twice) is there any hope of an uploader such as this?

i LOVE that we can comment on individual pics, and i LOVE the ease of uploading compared to the old lomohome!!

and i would LOVE it even more if there was a way to view the other thumbnails of images in an album while you are titling an image so you can go directly to that image you want to do next rather than having to go back, and then click the image :)

you guys are making things leaps and bounds easier!!! i can't wait to see what's next!!!

34. anarchy

anarchy

When will you migrate the World Archive into the new site? As it is now I have to upload my images to both the old and new home if I want to submit images to LWA (and the World Browser)...

Secondly, is there any possibility that you could help me change my username on the beta site...? When I migrated my account I got an error trying to use my old nick-name "Anarchy", so I came up with a new name. I just recently realized that it could have to do with the capital "A"... Apparently there's an inactive user on the old site with the name "anarchy" and I have the name "Anarchy". Anyway, what I want is to change the name "lomodocteur" into "anarchy" on the new beta site...

Last, but not least, all the new features are looking very promising, great job!!
    /Anarchy

35. ptigas

36. picardy3

picardy3

I have some photos uploaded and they are "unsorted"...how can I move them to an album? Also, I accidentally deleted some...can I get them out of the trash?
  37. slothglut

slothglut

does it take a while for our uploaded images + albums to be visible on our homes? it's past 5 mins since i uploaded some, but my homes is still annoyingly bear the sign of 'move on folks, there's nothing here.' just a question.
  38. scaramoosh

scaramoosh

my albums and images are not showing on my homes page?