Behind the Scenes: Q&A with Stéphane Heinz

For today's __Behind the Scenes__ we are featuring one of the most active Lomographers in the community. He is Stéphane Heinz, otherwise known as **Vicuna**, a History & Geography teacher based in Nice, France. Strong interests include culture - especially when images are involved, and also literature, music, and comics. He says he likes to photograph architecture and landscapes, and also his girlfriend ("one of my most inspiring subjects!").

For today’s Behind the Scenes we are featuring one of the most active Lomographers in the community. He is Stéphane Heinz, otherwise known as Vicuna, a History & Geography teacher based in Nice, France. Strong interests include culture – especially when images are involved, and also literature, music, and comics. He says he likes to photograph architecture and landscapes, and also his girlfriend (“one of my most inspiring subjects!”).

Read on – besides his amazing gallery, he has a very funny story to tell involving a Fisheye and a digital camera!

How did you discover Lomography?
2004 I discovered on the internet a review about the book “My Holidays
with Holga” and as I already had a photographic activity for 9 years I
found that very interesting. Truly, I was little bit bored of all the
schemes of classical photography, and even if I loved my old Olympus
OM20, I was looking for something new and different. This Holga with
this vignetting, lightleaks and the 120 format really fascinated me
and I directly bought one on the internet. My first roll was made
during summer 2004, with friends and then for the wedding of my
Brother. Wow, when I saw the pics I just felt in love with my new
toy!! But then I really discovered the whole universe of lomography
only during the summer 2006 (2 years of lomography without knowing
it!! :)) when I met the lomographer known as jazzgohan: he really
opened my mind to the whole world of lomo, to the website and I made
my lomhome at this moment. I’m very gratefull for all he told me about
his lomographic knowledge. Thanks Mr. jazz!!

Let’s say you’re going to a deserted island with only one camera and a roll of film. Which combo would it be?
Well, not easy to answer as always for this kind of question…..
hmmm…. I take my Horizon kompakt with an Agfa CT Precisa 100. Why?
Because the Horizon will need no batteries (unlike the LCA..), is not
made of plastic and can’t melt in the sun (unlike Diana+ or Holga) and
will make amazing shots of this deserted island, the sea, palm trees,
blue sky….all I like!! And the CT Precisa because I love this film
for the blue & white contrasts that will perfectly fit on the island
with the wide sea, the sky and the sand… wow, when can I go?

How would you describe your photographic style?
Hmm…. don’t know if I have a style?. It’s just my style, as it is
the reality I can see through my eyes.

Any artist/photographer/Lomographer that you’d like to collaborate with?
I already collaborated with a lot of lomographers in my “doubleswithvicuna” project, over 50 doubles already and I regularly have demands to make other ones… the “waiting list” is becoming longer and longer! But I noticed I never collaborated with a lomographer of south-america… I love their style, so if anyone from Brazil, Argentina, or other south american countries is interested in making a film swapping with me… :)

The photo that best describes your personality -

Just me, sunbathing and enjoying the simple things on earth, happy to be with my girlfriend (who took my Horizon to shoot me while I wasn’t paying attention… ;)

Any interesting story while you were taking photos?
Oh, there are a few ones, but the one I remember first is the
following: I was with friends in a concert and was shooting with my
Fisheye. The flash of the Fisheye is really strong and all my friends
are complaining when I surprise them very closely with this strong
light in their face. So one of my friends was waiting for me, ready to
shoot at the same time as me with his digital cam and put a strong
flash light in my face! A real “flashing” duel between analog and
digital :) As I was going to shoot him, he shot me, but with the
little delay of digital cams I flashed first and that was exactly at
the moment where his cam captors were open! As a result, he had only a
white image and his digital cam didn’t work anymore! Only a big white
and nothing more on his cam, whatever he tried to do with it! It was
broken, I burned out his captors!!! The Fisheye killed a digicam!!! ha
ha ha, analog 1/digital 0!

A perfect day for Vicuna would be:
A very sunny day at the beach, shooting a lot of films with a lot of different cameras :) That happens pretty often!

What frustrates you?
Shoot a roll of film and then notice that the film wasn’t really loaded, or that the batteries of my LCA didn’t work anymore and have only underexposed pics although I imagined that I took fantastic ones.

What overall mood would you like to impart with someone who views your photographs?
The love of life and beauty of what surrounds us.

Recommend something good.
The last book I read, “Lamb” by Christopher Moore, a funny, clever and very interesting history about… (just read the book if you want to know)
A few movies, masterpieces like “The Man with a Movie Camera” by Dziga
Vertov (1929, I think, and the great Music score of the same title by
Cinematographic Orchestra), “A propos de Nice” by Jean Vigo (1932)…
all the Hitchcock movies… all this inspires me! So go ahead!

gallery info:
photo 13 – Doubles with Weechonghooi;
photo 14 – Doubles with Superlighter;
photo 15 – Doubles with Mephisto19;
photo 16 – Doubles with Grenoouille;

written by shhquiet

1. superlighter

superlighter

one of the good things happens to me since I'm on lomography it's to meet great people like Stéphane!
    Go Vicuna Go!

2. lomodirk

lomodirk

Yeah, great guy, just like superlighter said:"Go Vicuna, Go!
    But what a mean question, only one camera and one film on an island. I would have taken an half format, 72 : 21 pics :))

3. vicuna

vicuna

Thanks guys and thanks LSI for this cool interview, just at the mment where I'm going to celebrate my 40000 visitor in less than 2 years lomohome... waow, I was far from imaginate all that when I started it... I'm really really happy and thanks to everybody!
    @lomodirk: sure, a halframe would make more pics.... but little ones ;))
    @superlighter: thanks and I'm happy to meet great people like you too! :))

4. jogintas

jogintas

He's my hero!!!!!!!!!! yeah, go, Vicuna, go!!! but do not forget the best wishes to someone else (you know!). :)

5. vicuna

vicuna

Yes, and I'd like to say that without Kathy (make a visit to her home: lomohomes.com/katoun), I'll surely don't be the one I'm today! Thanks to you my love! :))

6. milkie

milkie

Wonderful gallery, I adore the 8th, the colors and the atmosphere. I learned a lot of things from Vicuna and his work, and I wish you the best!

7. iamwen

iamwen

great work vicuna~ i will send my film to double with you when i have time!

8. mephisto19

mephisto19

oh ja... great work & great gallery! what a cool interview... congrats

9. stouf

stouf

Yeeeahhh Vicuna rules !!!

10. weechonghooi

weechonghooi

oh man oh man!!! what am I reading now? So Stéphane, I didnt know that you are a teacher... I was about to ask you next thoough. But I'm really glad to see your interview to be made in LSI, it's really great!!! And the double with me is on too, thanks Stéphane! Well, you know we still got more to show, Haha!

11. tracekaiser

Vicuna's such a great friendly guy, and it's brilliant to see him in the spotlight like this! As has been said before me: GO VICUNA GO!
  12. jazzgohan

jazzgohan

merci pour ta reconnaissance, joli portrait et bonne continuation!

13. grenoouille

grenoouille

One of the nicest lomographer around! Everyone should have him in his/her lomofriends list!!! And Kathi is such lomogenic muse! Go visit their homes!

14. bbg_mae07

bbg_mae07

hello, teacher :)
    you're one best lomographer i know. go Vicuna go!

15. freak_17

Vicuna Is A Great Inspiration To Me.....Love His Work So Much.....So When I Grow Up I Want To Be Just Like Him......Go Vicuna Go!!!!!!!!

16. stoonja

stoonja

great work, great man !!!!

17. azurblue

azurblue

Well deserved Herr Vicuna !

He is a great lomographer, very creative, very nice person, always ready to help people , and crazy about cameras.

So if you don't know his lomohome, go have a look !
    Vicuna rules !

18. jelga

jelga

ha ha! had never thought that the holga could melt in the sun...i'll have to watch out this summer!
    great interview....but what about lomovies??? :(
    ;)
    bss
    ana

19. vicuna

vicuna

Sorry Ana, yes, I forgot to talk about lomovies.... but I forgot to talk about a lot of other things I thought about after I answered the interview.... :(
    So, let's say it: amongst the most exciting lomo-projects i had the opportunity to make was the one I made with Ana alias jelga, when she proposed me to join our passion of movies with the spirit of lomography: that's how was born the project of the "lomovies" collective home, made of lomographic movie pictures and doubles experiences with movies.
    The lomovies home, after almost 9 months of existence, has already over 5000 visits, 62 albums made by more than 30 lomographers from around the world!
    Thanks for this project Ana and thanks to all the lomographers who contributed to this home! :))

20. lonur

lonur

stephane rules! nice one!