Los Angeles based (and musically talented) man of wonder, Steve Damstra, shows us some of the adventures he and his Colorsplash Camera have had over the past 9 months.
REAL NAME – Steve Damstra II
CITY – Los Angeles, CA
COUNTRY – USA
1. How long have you been a Lomographer (or are you new to this whole thing)?
Well, I’ve been a Lomo pal since October of 2009… but technically… I’m new to this whole thing! I’ve known about Lomo’s Holga cameras for a few years and thought they were great but I’ve never used any Lomo products prior to the Colorsplash Camera.
2. Describe the Colorsplash Camera in five words.
Space, Tazer, Stormtrooper, C4, Simple.
3. The strangest, funniest, or hands-down greatest photographic/Lomographic encounter you’ve ever had?
Most of my funny Lomo moments were explaining to people what the Colorsplash camera was. It has such a unique design that most people don’t recognize it as a camera right away. It was a pretty good ice-breaker before taking pictures to joke about what it was and what’s going to happen. So the majority of my Lomo encounters were strange.
4. If your photos shown here could have a soundtrack of three songs, what would they be (song title & artist please)?
· Hallogallo – Neu!
· The Red Blouse – Antonio Carlos Jobim
· Daddy Went Walkin’ – Neil Young
5. If you could take your Colorsplash Camera and a sack of film anywhere in the world right now, where would you go, what would you do, and why?
I’d take a sack to your moms house. I’m joking, of course. I think I’d go the Galapagos Islands. It seems like it’d be a real adventure and I really enjoy taking pictures of animals. If not there, Japan. I love Japan and any reason to go there is a sweet reason. Vienna is amazing too, I went there once, I want to go back.
6. The one person (living or deceased) who you would most like to photograph.
Julius Erving “Dr. J”
7. These photos look like they were shot all over! Where’d you go? What’d you do?
Most of them we’re taken in Los Angeles and surrounding areas while hanging out with friends. I also spent a day driving around taking pictures of city wall paintings that I like in LA. All of the snow pictures we’re taken in Michigan while I was home for Christmas. Some we’re taken in Las Vegas at a 2010 New Years eve party. I just went on vacation to Barbados with my super babe girlfriend Paget (she helped grammar check this…) and I took some pictures there as well…I can’t wait to develop them.
8. If you could collaborate with someone (music, photography, etc.) who would it be and why?
Elijah Wood. When I was a kid, people would always say I looked like him. I never really saw it. I’ve always wanted to take a picture with him. He seems like a really nice guy and I think he plays music, and he’s a Lomo Buddy too. So I’m sure some interesting/fun stuff would happen.
9. Any upcoming projects that we should watch out for?
I’m working on the score for a movie called “Magic Valley”. My band, Folded Light, is starting work on our 3rd album soon. I’m going to work on some tracks with my other band, Whirlwind Heat. Also, I’m always brain-storming with my buddy Matthew Gubler, we have some ideas for a cartoon!
10. Advice for Colorsplash shooters!
Don’t be afraid of using the color gels, remember that you can change out the gels, and don’t forget to use the Flash when using the gels. Also, make sure the flash is turned off, so as not to drain the battery. I killed a few batteries.