Located in the Provençal countryside, 30 kilometers (about 19 miles) south-west of Draguignan, Le Thoronet Abbey is a masterpiece of Provençal Romanesque art.
Thoronet Abbey is a former Cisternian abbey built in the late twelf and early thirteen century, now restored as a museum.
Three Cistercian abbeys called the Three Provençal Sisters of Provence were founded in the 12th century: Senanque Abbey, Thoronet Abbey and Silvacane Abbey. Thoronet was the second of the Three Provençal Sisters.
The abbey buildings, church and cloisters were built in 1160-1190. In the 14th century, religious wars and politics resulted in the abbey being abandonded. It wasn’t until the eighteenth century that the abbey started to be used again, and then during the French Revolution it was sold off and abandoned again.
April 1 to September 30: from 10 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. (Sundays: from 10 a.m. to noon and from 2 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.) October 1 to March 31: from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. (Sundays: from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.) Religious office in the abbey on Sundays, at noon