The beautiful garden of the Louvre Palais.
This garden was planted by Catherine de Medicis in 1564, when began the construction of the Palais du Louvre. It was designed first in the Italian style : six alleys in the longitudinal direction and eight in the width wise that demarcated rectangular compartments containing different plantations (trees bed, staggered rows, lawns, flowerbeds, etc..). A fountain, a menagerie and a grotto decorated the gardens, to which an orangery and a silk farm were added in the early seventeenth century.
In 1664, Jean-Baptiste Colbert ordered the complete redesign of the garden by André Le Nôtre. He gave the appearance the garden would retain in its general outlines to this day: he created in the axis of the Louvre palace a central aisle bordered east side by a round basin, and west side by an octagonal basin. He also built two terraces along the future Place De la Concorde and the two curved ramps allowing access there.
The Tuileries Garden is today the largest and oldest French garden in Paris, covering about 25 hectares. It stretches from west to east, from the Place de la Concorde to the Louvre, and from south to north from the Seine to the rue De Rivoli.
The Gallery of the Jeu De Paume is a museum of contemporary art north-west of the garden. To the east of the garden, near the Arc Du Carrousel, there are many statues by Aristide Maillol. Since 1998, the garden also hosts contemporary sculpture : Auguste Rodin, Henry Moore, Roy Lichtenstein, Tony Cragg, Jean Dubuffet, Alain Kirili, Stephen Martin, Giuseppe Penone, etc.. Temporary exhibitions are held, like the spider by Louise Bourgeois.
Today, for tourists and walkers, many chairs are freely available throughout the park. It is really pleasant to sit near a basin to read or enjoying the view around, or wandering through the garden and arriving Place De la Concorde where a big wheel is waiting for you, so you can even have an areal view of this garden, which is beautiful in every season… But less crowded in winter !