Lomoinstant_en

Battersea Power Station, London

Battersea Power Station, to put it simply, is my favorite building in the world. A giant disused coal-fired power station, it is a beautiful, crumbling cathedral, throbbing with energy, visible from miles away and impossible to ignore.

I stumbled upon this building within a few days of moving to London, and was mesmerized. The sight solidified everything I had been feeling at that time – my fear and awe of a new city I new little about; the sense of something massive and unpredictable being just around the corner, something that was frightening, but also inspiring. That awe has not left me 10 years later, and I continue to visit the Power Station to just sit and stare – and take photographs of course.

Last year the gates of the Station were opened to the public for the first time since I’d come to London and thousands flocked to see it up close. Standing at the base of the building I honestly felt like an innocent villager in the presence of the pyramids – it overwhelmed me. The scale is impossible to imagine. It is the largest brick building in the world, but even saying that can not convey how small I felt looking up at it’s pillars.

For decades there has been talk of redeveloping the site – turning it into a shopping mall, luxury flats, a hotel.. But to me there is nothing that could be done to improve it. It is a mighty beast in its old age. We should let it die with the dignity it deserves.

written by sadmafioso

1. mattydk

mattydk

beautiful shots!

2. jaalvarez

jaalvarez

I like this location.
    It´s wonderfull !!!

3. saviorjosh

saviorjosh

i will have to visit this location if i get a chance to go to london.

4. vicuna

vicuna

Impressing building indeed! Great location! :)

5. -a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

-a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

fantastic place and shots

6. lolfox

lolfox

Battersea Power Station really is a beutiful and iconic building. Growing up in south London, those towering chimneys have been a constant presence all my life, visible from miles around, and now that I live overseas it always a welcoming sight to see it when I come home to visit.

I really hope it stays there for ever but as the article says, it has been a constant series of false starts to do something with it.... despite its decaying majesty I think it has to be reformed in some way and put to use, or else it will just rot and crumble in a few years.
    Its is a listed building so fortunately no one can make too many changes to it. A great example to follow would be the old Bankside Power Station which has been turned into the Tate Modern Art Gallery, but still has its original structure in place and is a really focal point along the southbank.

Great article with great pics.

ps. Did you know that two of the chimneys are false and are purely for aesthetic value?

7. stouf

stouf

A truly amazing building ! Thanks for shooting it so well ! N°4 is insane !

8. azurblue

azurblue

Wow ! THE battersea powerplant 8 The one of the Pink Floyd album ! Great ! I wanna see it one day !

9. eyecon

eyecon

Simply amazing shots!!!!

10. fancholland2

fancholland2

Such a cool spot!! Great gallery

11. samistardust

samistardust

STUNNING. I have no words for you.
    i lived in london for 5 months, sadly before i bought my lomo's, but did walk around with my digital camera to capture this majestic building.
    im obsessed with it, ever since i heard pink floyd's animals....
    good work!

12. lamp

lamp

You have some stunning shots!

13. buckshot

buckshot

@sadmafioso Great article and shots! You might be interested in the album I just published of cross-processed shots taken at Battersea during the recreation of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' album cover on 26 September 2011: http://www.lomograph(…)-pork-chops Kind regards.

Where is this?

Nearby popular photos – see more

Nearby LomoLocations

• Battersea Park

Battersea Park is on the south bank of the River Thames and with 200 acres of green space, y…

• Chelsea Bridge

Chelsea Bridge, a great place to take photos of the world going by and catch the sunset.

• Cycling in Battersea

Battersea Park is on the south bank of the River Thames. With 200 acres of green space, you’…

• Peace in the Park: Battersea Park London

When you need to escape the throb and thrum of the city, what better place to go to than a r…