Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

Analogue Day Activity: Get Yourself a Record Player and Some Vinyl

Open this month on a high note -- both literally and figuratively – by treating yourself to some good quality music.

Photo by il_grande_fausto

Nowadays, access to music has become so widespread thanks to the beauty of online stores and archives. But while it has made things much more efficient for us, it has undoubtedly changed the personal and rather intimate aspect of collecting music.

Keeping a record player or a turntable, as well as a collection of vinyl, requires dedication and a whole lot of care. It involves a whole lot of patience too, since unlike the digital way where you can just type, hit “search” and “download”, records are produced on a limited quantity and usually, you have to scour multiple stores and shelves before you find what you want.

It sounds like a lot of work, right? But then again, it’s the amount of time, effort and love that you invested on your collection is what makes it unique and special.

How do you make your life a little bit more analogue with each day’s passing? Aside from these Analogue Day Activities we’ve been sharing, why don’t you inspire your fellow lomographers as we inch closer to the worldwide Film Photography Day celebrations and share with us your own stories? Remember, you can also schedule your own meet-ups for the big event, show your analogue life through an awesome video, and profess your love for all things analogue with some of your best snaps!

written by geegraphy

1. djramsay

djramsay

Hi I remember doing a survey a while back that asked if I'd buy records or record players from lomo. Is this something you are thinking of selling? As I'm looking at record players now @LSI

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  2. segata

segata

I love vinyl, most people dont acctually realise that analouge acctually has a much wider frequencey range than most digital formats so you get much better and deeper sound, providing of course you keep your records and stylus clean.

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  3. thedriver

thedriver

I must clear some space and get my record player out of the loft. I miss the deep rich sounds of Court Of The Crimson King, and Darkside Of the moon, and about 200 other records!

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  4. diomaxwelle

diomaxwelle

Now would be the time for me to start tracking down some Daft Punk vinyls....

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  5. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

I've wanted to go back to vinyl for a long time now, but the prospect is daunting, there seems no cheap way in. If you cannot locate a player with it's own line level amp, then you have to find a receiver/amp that has one, which has been so uncommon for years now, that a separate amplifier to the main amp is needed and that's just more and more cost. Anyone any ideas of how to bring that down?

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  6. geegraphy

geegraphy

@djramsay Now that's an idea! Although, we can only guess if it's in the cards.

@segata True! The beauty of vinyl is that the sound's richer and much more eargasmic than compressed digital formats. :)

@thedriver Wow, 200 records! I can only imagine how awesome that collection is!

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  7. geegraphy

geegraphy

@diomaxwelle Yes to Daft Punk! I've been listening to their songs again recently so I can prepare myself for their new album coming this May! :D

@adam_g2000 Well, I have to agree that there seems to be no cheap way in, but I'm pretty sure there are other community members who can help you out with that dilemma. Anyone?

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  8. djramsay

djramsay

I joined Jack White's Third man Records Vault , quarterly vinyl posted out to me :)

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  9. il_grande_fausto

il_grande_fausto

"Trust me, when you get that player turning, and you place that needle on the vinyl surface, you’ll just know that it’s all worth it." - so very true! Very nice article and thanks for using my photo! :)
    about 1 year ago · report as spam
  10. zero_charly

zero_charly

A while ago I got an old Telefunken record player from my grandparents, and still working perfectly.
    The sound is great despite having the speakers fixed (you know grandpas like to repair fix instead of buying new ones :)) and I got old vinyls from them, gf and record fairs where old and new records are traded.
    The sound and feeling is absolutely great. The "crispy" noises, changing sides...not comparable to digital format. I just love it!

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  11. thedriver

thedriver

Its not just putting the needle on the record, I miss holding the album, reading the notes, admiring the art on the gate-fold sleeve!

about 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Československy.