Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

Analogue Day Activity: Write and send out postcards.

When was the last time you sent and received a postcard? If it has been a while, treat yourself (and someone else's mailbox) today to this simple analogue joy!

Photo by crojasvives

The digital age has been making everything convenient and easier for man, communication being one of the most prevalent and notable. These days, it’s easier to get in touch with friends and loved ones; often, all it takes are a few clicks and keystrokes. But, some have also noted that messages are becoming increasingly less personal and heartfelt too.

Thankfully, the analogue way of sending messages and greetings, while no longer as widespread, is still there for us to enjoy. While letters, postcards, and parcels take longer to reach recipients through snail mail, we can’t deny that it always feels great to find that your mailbox has something other than bills, promotional items, or newspaper.

So, when were you last surprised by your mailbox? Or, alternatively, when did you last make someone smile with a surprise in the mailbox? If you can’t think about the last time you sent one, now would be a great time to do so. Head out to your local bookstore, gift shop, or stationery shop; chances are, they have a great selection of beautiful postcards for sale. Rummage through your address book for a friend or family member’s address (preferably someone you haven’t gotten in touch with in a while). Or, alternatively, join Postcrossing and send a postcard to a random person. You can be sure that they will appreciate your kind gesture and maybe even send you one back!

written by plasticpopsicle

1. shind

shind

Oooo I am on Postcrossing and it feels good to receive random postcards from all over the world!

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  2. stu_the_protege

I've recently started this mail art project where people have to take photographs of Postboxes. Print them out, write on the back of the photo and mail it to me. Basically turning a photograph into a postcard! It’s all based upon social networking culture and how the postcards / letters are being replaced by Facebook updates and Tweets. Anyone can get involved, so if you read this and your interested! Check out the POST blog for more information: http://thegreatpostproject.wordpress.com :)
    about 1 year ago · report as spam
  3. pam-stach

pam-stach

I send quite often postcards around :) am a big fan of it! :D

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  4. guinastrapazi

guinastrapazi

from Lomographer to Lomographer would be a cool idea, like a Postcrossing for Lomographers!
    I'm writing letters with a Lomographer from Brazil, I love writing letters : -)
    It's one of the best feelings, when you're looking in your postbox and there is a letter in it for you.
    makes me smile for the whole day! : -)

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  5. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

Thanks for your comments, @shind, @pam-stach, and @guinastrapazi! I joined Postcrossing too and I love getting postcards from Postcrossing users all over the world. The idea of having a similar project for sending postcards from lomographer to lomographer sounds really interesting!

I am a big fan of postcards, and I love making them as much as sending and collecting them! Yes, I do make some postcards out of my film photos (http://www.lomograph(…)ard-project). If you want to receive one from me, why don't you leave me a message? :D

@stu_the_protege I think that's an awesome project, I think many of us here in the Lomography community would be interested to take part in that!

about 1 year ago · report as spam
  6. shesayshi

shesayshi

I'm also a Postcrosser and one of my favorite postcards are those with photos taken by the sender themselves. Since there aren't much postcard designs to choose from, I had some of shots printed and sent them out :)
    about 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Československy.