Functionality VS Aesthetics

Analogue and consequently lomography, is becoming more and more a fancy theme to “carry around”. For those who thought this movement had its days counted, now you can be sure that it’s here to stay and to embellish a new era. But, aren’t the aesthetics overlapping functionality?

What’s on your mind when you decide to pick the next camera for your collection? Are the aesthetics also important or only what you can do with it? Or maybe both? What concerns me, I really appreciate the camera’s design. For me, most of them are beautiful, and I wish I could have them all, but when I need to choose, their function is what more influences. Whatever it is, the Diana F+ square format or the Lomo LC-A functionality, what comes first in my decision is definitely each camera’s essence.

Next, you can check some amazing examples of some awesome lomographers’ work with their own beloved cameras.

Nowadays, we can find plenty of attractive cameras, with various shapes and colors. Which one do you think has the best looks? Which one catches your attention more? Does the size and weight influence your choice? For me, the Lubitel 166+ is the most beautiful camera, and I’m lucky to have this pretty thing already in my hands. But since they look this way, so attractive, this art’s concept is sometimes misunderstood. More and more, and sometimes just because it looks hipster, you can see people using cameras as fashion accessories. Do you agree with this concept?

Next, you can peek at some interesting photos by lomographers that can’t move away from their small treasures.

And, what about you?

Which Lomo camera is the most appreciated in our community? Do you feel something special for a special one that you can’t resist to take pictures of? If so, please share with us a picture of your precious one or just leave a comment.

On another hand, is the results more important to you – what you can get with a specific camera? Is it more significant to immortalize a specific subject in your own way and magic? Which camera is your partner in this so called art of photography? You should also show us your favorite picture shot with your favorite camera.

Or are you capable of putting it together, in other words, is your favorite camera also the one that makes the most gorgeous pictures? Maybe that’s the ideal combination.

written by -alia-

1. jimjimm

jimjimm

with the sprocket rocket...this is my favorite camera and picture...

2. -alia-

-alia-

@jimjimm great one ;)

3. -alia-

-alia-

4. -alia-

-alia-

5. jimjimm

jimjimm

@-alia- thanks for the good word...:)...

6. artichekt

artichekt

Hahaa... "Functionality VS Aesthetics ", you are REALLY an architect, he?!? ;-)
    Thanks for choosing one of my photos btw! <3
    My aesthetically fav is not a Lomo actually: http://www.lomograph(…)-the-street
    But as far as funcionality is concerned: The Horizon Perfect! :-D

7. moodification

moodification

Hey, thanks so much for including one of my pictures! By the way, it's moodification ;-) For me the Lubitel 166+ is the perfect match of aesthetics and functionality ... fun and function at its best! And that's my favorite shot:
    Cheers ...

8. clownshoes

clownshoes

Great article! So much that can be said on this; but functionality is a must for me. Don't get me wrong; I love a good looking camera & the new cool looking lomo cameras. If I had to pick out a camera close to my heart it's my Nikon F3 because it can be almost anything I want it to be and it's an eye catcher.

9. -alia-

-alia-

@artichekt you get me ;·)
    That's a crazzzzzy looking camera :D and about the functionality, i'm dying to get my hands on that precious too!
    @moodification that's a really nice photo and i hope that you're right, i have high expectations of that camera.
    Sorry about the missing "o"... my mistake :S
    Cheers :D
    @clownshoes thanks a lot for your input =)

10. sapphire-st

sapphire-st

It's always the functionality for me, aestheticism being second.
    My fave so far is my Lubitel 116U, great camera to bend the rules with. Dreaming to have Rolleiflex based on aesthetics.

11. -alia-

-alia-

Many thanks for your comment @sapphire-st, it's very interesting to get the community's opinions!

12. theoclunk

theoclunk

I love functionality, but what I love even more is one that is highly functional and aesthetically gorgeous, and for me, that would have to be the Rolleiflex, I love it. Hasselblad or Leica as well...sorry, I'm a bit of a fan of overly expensive and exclusive kit, I really shouldn't, it doesn't matter what camera you have, but I can't seem to help it.
    I like much of the Lomo cameras though, I'd like to get my hands on a Diana, Horizon or a Holga, and that new Belair gadget looks pretty damn cool.

13. dollymixture

dollymixture

Personally, I want to find a camera that has both qualities that I love. I want to be able to carry it with me everywhere and never feel that I'm missing a chance to take a photo. At the moment I'm still experimenting with all my cameras to find the perfect one. It has to have the functional qualities and also be a good size for carrying around with me, if it looks aesthetically pleasing too then that's not going to go amiss as I love a good looking camera as much as the next person : )

14. hervinsyah

hervinsyah

@ucinz : Cieee cieee cieee =D

15. anthropus

anthropus

So fun seeing my OneStep in your article :) Thanks for the feature!

For me, every camera has its charm and I try not to play favorites, switching it up every now and then, spreading the analog love. However, when I can only bring one camera, I usually end up with my Diana Mini, my LCA+ or Minolta X370n as I know I can depend on these and there is not much "fuss" using them, like the Spinner or the Lubitel 2. It it not easy, for me at least to shoot from the hip with a Lubitel.

But I have kept cameras that do not work on display purely for their aesthetics, and some cameras are more interesting to look at than others. But who says you cannot have both like with the OneStep or the Diana mini?

16. -alia-

-alia-

Thanks a lot to everyone!
    @theoclunk i know what you mean ;·) and i feel the same about those Belairs!
    @dollymixture i wish you luck on your search!
    @anthropus you're right, some cameras look very nice as decoration :)

17. ayer

ayer

I love my Diana both for her looks and her fun, spontaneous and unpredictable personality! Definitely my favorite. So accurately explained by @susielomovitz here: http://www.lomograph(…)same_author

In my opinion, the Holga is the ugliesy looking camera in the whole wide world hahaha!! but sure lots of fun, never disappoints.

18. susielomovitz

susielomovitz

@ayer said it: I LOVE MY DIANA!!!! MY FAV :). ;).

19. -alia-

-alia-

@ayer it used to be my favourite too :)
    @susielomovitz that's why i chose one of your diana's photos ;·)

20. susielomovitz

susielomovitz

@-alia- ;) <3

21. ucinz

ucinz

@hervinsyah wkwk kenapa kang? haha :D

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Spanish, Italiano, Türkçe & Nederlands.