This is your last chance to pre-order your Petzval Lens and get the special aperture plates included for free! With estimated delivery in August (or even sooner), don’t miss out on securing your picture perfect portrait lens!

Have an account? Login | New to Lomography? Register | Lab | Current Site:

LomoTess: Developing My Own Photos

For my art project, I had to take some photos with my Canon Sure Shot AF-7 and develop them. They had to have an alphabet theme, so I took shots of things beginning with random letters. It was my first time developing and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I shall certainly be doing it again.

First of all, inside a black bag with arm holes, I cut off the top of the Ilford HP-5 film canister with a can opener. Then I loaded the film onto a spiral and twisted it until all the film was properly in place. After that, I placed the spiral into the developing tank and poured the chemicals into it. I left it for a few days, and in my school’s dark room, I shook it every ten seconds for a while until my teacher said it was ready. I poured the developing chemicals out and rinsed the film carefully. Then, I took out the spiral, unwound the film, cut it in half, and left it to dry.

To develop my photos, I prepared all of my chemicals near the sink. In the first tray, I had 50ml of the paper developer and 450ml of water. The second tray was just the stop, I used water, and the third tray was 50ml of fix and 450ml of water. I also had a sink full of water and a place to hang my photos prepared too.

After that, I set up the enlarger with an infrared light; I put my film strip into the negative carrier with the picture I wanted in the window. I then placed that into the enlarger and set the timer to focus. I turned the lights off and with the safety on, I focused and adjusted the image. I put a strip of paper into the testing box and placed it under the enlarger, I changed the timer to four seconds and kept the strip under there while the image was projected onto it. Every four seconds, I covered a part of the strip until I had done it six times. Then, I put it into the developer while I rocked it and waited. When it had developed, I put it into the stop for 30 seconds and then the fix for a few minutes before finally leaving it in the water. After that, I did the exact same thing for the photo but on normal-sized paper after deciding which time was the best.

To be honest they didn’t turn out extremely well. But oh well, here’s a few of them:

written by tesslucia

No comments yet, be the first