Beauty in Ruin: Damaged Negatives by Glen Luchford

Ever lost a roll of film to an accident? It’s sad, right? Now imagine losing dozens of them in a flood just like what happened to photographer Glen Luchford — that’s hundreds of photographic masterpieces ruined. But then, serendipity happened. Read more after the jump!

In his new book, Damaged Negatives, Luchford compiled dozens of photographs that he had taken over the years, but were later on ruined in storage.

“I put the images in storage for two weeks,” Luchford explains, “which turned into two months. The entire storage unit [got] flooded and the owner didn’t tell anyone, so by the time I arrived, the images were just mostly gone or in a state of high deterioration.”

What at first seemed to be an unfortunate turn of events became a source of inspiration as each damaged photograph took a brand new life of its own. The swirls and whorls of oxidation, and the seemingly burned edges, lend the images a more mysterious tone, making the already enchanting photographs more haunting.

So, what do you guys think of the results? Do you happen to have photographs that shared the same fate as the ones above? Leave your comments below!

Damaged Negatives is out in stores in December, and is published by Dashwood Books.

All information for this article was taken from TrendHunter and AnOther Magazine.

written by geegraphy

1. schlogoat

schlogoat

Dropped my Diana in a trough of water, with a film in, a while back, had some interesting sploshes on some shots. Nothing as extreme as this though.

2. grifter

grifter

Sadly lost a film when I was last in France. If someone found it and developed it, it would possibly all ice burnt or wet damaged (it was that period in France in 2011 where it was freezing!). I could only hope it would be as beautiful and interesting as these shots.

3. geegraphy

geegraphy

@schlogoat Oh, wow! Have you shared the photos with the community? We would love to see it still! :)

4. geegraphy

geegraphy

@grifter Sorry to hear about the roll you lost! :( It would've been really cool to see the effects in the photos.

5. hollyelizabeth_

hollyelizabeth_

Fascinating article, I love the shots!
    One of my cameras got left out in a storm when a roll was only half shot. I managed to find it a few days later, and have used the rest of the roll but I am yet to see if the photos are ruined, or if the camera stopped working properly after being left to natures forces! Only time will tell :D

6. schlogoat

schlogoat

@geegraphy I have but I'm afraid its only minor and only on the part of film that was going through at the time. I was just pleased that it wasn't ruined.
    http://www.lomograph(…)=embed" title=
    @hollyelizabeth_ sounds more interesting than mine!

7. chetsellars

Fantastic!

8. rbruce63

rbruce63

The ills of water became artistic in your pictures!

9. brandkow93

brandkow93

Some look cool buy others not so much.
    I have 3 fantastic analogue for sale check the listings kiev 4 with 3 lenses http://www.ebay.co.u(…)1400wt_1183 Lubitel 2 http://www.ebay.co.u(…)_871wt_1170 and Minolta X-700 with amazing 50mm 1.4 http://cgi.ebay.co.u(…)_1633wt_932 Great article!

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch.