Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

Lomography Beginner's Guide: Ideas by Photo Type

So you’d like to buy your first Lomography snap-shooter. Congratulations! Not sure what camera to treat yourself to? To help, we’ve come up with a range of suggestions. Let us take you through a few of the key questions to think about - And if you have a favorite camera to recommend to first-time Lomographers, please shout them out in the comments section!

Buying that first analogue camera is a special moment

“Which kind of film do I want to use?”

Different analogue cameras shoot different kinds of films. Some cameras shoot 35mm film; some shoot 110 film, and some shoot 120 film (also called medium format). 35mm film comes in canisters and produces rectangular photos; it’s the kind of film you can pick up and develop in your local supermarket. You’ll also notice that 35mm film has little perforations along the edge which are called sprocket-holes. In contrast, 120 film is larger and generally produces more detailed shots – 120 film doesn’t have sprocket-holes. 110 film is used with pocket cameras and can also be conveniently processed in most photo labs.

“What kind of photos do I want to shoot?”

You’ll notice that each Lomography camera has something special about it. The Spinner 360° produces 360° panoramic photos. The Lomo LC-Wide takes ultra-wide photos and gives you the choice of 3 shooting formats. The Sprocket Rocket exposes the sprocket holes on each photo. The Fisheye Baby 110 allows you to capture fun, fisheye photos in a smaller, more portable format. Take a look at each camera’s features and pick the effect that fits you!

Ideas by Photo Type

This game is super simple – Pick a photo which you’d like to create shots similar too and we’ll give you some camera recommendations!

Half Frame

Multilens

Supersampler – 35mm
Actionsampler – 35mm

Square

Diana F+ – 120
Diana Mini – 35mm

Have you already got a Lomography camera? Which one would you recommend for people joining the community? Please share your suggestions in the comments box below!

Searching for your first Lomography camera? Let the Beginners Guide light your way to that dream analogue snap-shooter!

written by tomas_bates

1. minchi

minchi

In my opinion the camera for the beginners (more simple) are: Diana mini, La Sardina and Holga 135BC

2. ladybugofblueness

ladybugofblueness

I looooooooove my Sprocket Rocket and Spinner 360! I've got a Thing for panoramic cameras and will be getting the La Sardina next month! :)

3. yijing

yijing

la sardina.. :)

4. pyromonkey333

pyromonkey333

Diana mini FTW altho the holga 135 is one of my favorites

5. jeffryhuezo

グッチ時計の人気WS1063 グッチハンドバッグ グッチ財布 グッチ時計 グッチ2011アウトレット グッチアクセサリー - >

6. unagiie

unagiie

I'll vote for LC-wide. Reasons: (1) I personally love wide-angle. (2) It is very 'user-friendly'. (3) It is capable of taking pictures in three different formats, which means, as soon as beginner can handle the 'basic idea' of lomography, s/he can explore further with a LC-wide in hand. Basically i think LC-Wide can satisfy most lomographers, either an amateaur or a pro. There're a lot more reasons why that I would recommend LC-wide, just to name a few..
  7. ipazzia

ipazzia

I fell in love with La Sardina the minute I saw it. I didn't even know what lomography was: I had to have that camera! Well, that was my stargate to this incredibly colourful and sparkly world :) Now I'm planning to treat myself with a Diana Mini... but it's only a start. I'm afraid I want EVERY camera!

8. 186juney

186juney

Diana Mini and Sprocket Rocket! But Actionsampler is fantastic for beginners because there are no settings or controls whatsoever - less complications for when you're first starting out!

9. inine

inine

@sobetion เย้

10. sobetion

sobetion

@inine เย้ -.- นึกว่าได้รางวัล 55555

11. lokified

lokified

Agree with @186Juney - The Sprocket Rocket gives great wide shots & is super simple to use, and the Diana Mini is tiny & easy to pocket while giving you twice the shots to practice on.

12. nikkiblair

nikkiblair

I started out with a 35mm camera of my mother's. 35mm is easy because it's commonly sold and developed, so you can hone your skills without great cost or developing delays! :)

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch, Italiano, Türkçe, Spanish, 한국어, Português, Nederlands, Français & 日本語.