Petzval_header_october_2014_en

The First Round of Trial and Error

Yes! This is the story of my first "successful" roll. Yes, those quotation marks means that I'm being sarcastic. So here's a Monday story for you to get the week rolling.

That’s right people, I bought myself a Diana Deluxe Kit! I couldn’t help myself. I wanted to buy all the different Lomography cameras, as if I’m an expert already and know how to use them effectively. So it took me some time to calm down until I finally decided to just buy a Diana F+ with all (well not all) of its accessories. This way I’ll have one camera that I can use and try out with different lenses.

I reserved the borrowed Diana Mini for later use, because I just couldn’t wait to try my new ANALOGUE toy! I haven’t been this excited since my Google Nexus 7 purchase!

Here are the “Hey, that’s kinda cool…” shots:

You might be asking yourself, she didn’t take too many pictures with a film roll of 36 exposures. Well I did, but I have two personalities that should not be put together, paranoid and forgetful.

I seem to always forget if I winded the film to a new frame or not, and I don’t remember the number of pictures I have taken. Hence, paranoia kicks in and I would wind the film (again) just to be sure that I am not double exposing my film. By the time I developed my film, I noticed so many blank frames as if I took a picture with the lens cap on.

So now I’m learning to snap and wind, snap and wind, snap and wind. I also learned that the N and P that you have to choose before closing the 35mm Back stands for Normal and Pinhole and not Normal and Panorama! Yeah yeah, laugh your heads off people. That’s why most of the pictures are dark. And I think I need to clean my scanner. :D

Anything else I should remember before I make silly mistakes again?

Stay tuned for the second roll pictures!

Enjoy endless dreamy, lo-fi, soft-focused possibilities with the Diana Deluxe Kit! This package includes the Diana F+ camera, Diana+ Lenses, 35mm Back, and Cable Release and Collar for the experimental Lomographer. Grab your own Diana Deluxe Kit now!

written by ilkadj

1. schemerel

schemerel

de P does stand for panorama !

2. ilkadj

ilkadj

@schemerel it does?!?! gosh I'm getting different answers here.. lol.. so why are my pictures so dark? Did I not scan it right?

3. schemerel

schemerel

Well I think so. Because the only reason I can think of there being a 'n' setting and a 'p' setting on the 35mm back is so the frame counter knows what frame you are on: when it's set to panorama the images are wider so it takes longer to wind on to the next frame. When you put in a panoramic mask and you set it to 'n', I think your frames will overlap (which could be cool of course)
    The main reason why I think this is because I took panoramic pictures on 'p' setting and they weren't dark at all.
    Good luck with your trial and error, its one of the most fun parts in filmphotography :)

4. schemerel

schemerel

here's my first try with the 35mm back: http://www.lomograph(…)s-35mm-back

I'm curious too hear what other people say though, because I could be wrong

5. schemerel

schemerel

what scanner are you using ?

6. bsdunek

bsdunek

Yes, I learned when I was eight years old - always advance the film after each exposure. My old Kodak 620 Hawkeye box camera was that way. I got into the habit and still do it.

7. benedan

benedan

Congratulations on your new toy and successful first experience. My DianaF+ Safari Edition arrived this week and I am planning a photographic expedition this weekend to test it out. I'll try to remember snap and wind, snap and wind, snap and wind...

8. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

I actually think the P is for pinhole, but of course I could be wrong as I have had a few Diana issues myself lately! I think this is a great article and I totally understand how you feel!

9. ilkadj

ilkadj

@schemerel im using an HP Scanjet 5530, maybe I should just pay more and let Lomography scan my pics. @bsdunek lucky you learned when you were young. I got used to the instant cameras that you can't wind anymore unless you hit the shutter. @benedan cool! I wanted to get the Safari Edition as well, but then I had to buy the accessories separately. I love the design tho! Let me know how you expedition goes! @kneehigh85 I have my second roll in now and it's on N this time. We'll see how it turns out. Wish me luck!

10. schemerel

schemerel

http://www.lomograph(…)r-wide-lens read tip two about the 35mm back ;)

try scanning at the highest resolution possible and the highest bit possible. Make sure you understand your scannersoftware, maybe it just one silly button your missing. My scanner has an exposure button. Everything looks muddy until you select the frame (or all the frames) and hit that exposure button, than everything looks great.

I hope it works out, good luck ! :)

11. ilkadj

ilkadj

@schemerel thanks! will try rescanning my negatives!