Lomoinstant_en

Why Gamers are on Their Way to Becoming Better Street Photographers

If you happen to be both a hardcore gamer and an avid photographer, this article may be an interesting read for you! A photographer recently shared his insights on why it's not surprising for some gamers to become better at street photography. Read on to find out if you agree!

Photo by Jun Shen Chia via Eric Kim Street Photography

Whether you’re using film or digital, there’s no doubt that it’s a big challenge when you’re shooting out in the streets. Not only do you need to heighten your visual and artistic senses, but also do your best at stealth. Even so, street photographer Jun Shen Chia says if you’re a gamer, you have higher chances at getting better at street photography.

In an article he wrote for good friend and fellow photographer Eric Kim, Jun Shen shares some connections between improving your street photography prowess and playing video games:

Photo by Jun Shen Chia via Eric Kim Street Photography

1. Many video games require “quick input and even quicker mental prowess.” Often, gamers will find themselves faced with the need to spot enemies from a distance in order to “anticipate and plan an attack.” These, Jun Shen says, are highly necessary skills for becoming an effective photographer.

2. Video games that challenge the players’ hand-eye coordination and motor skills help improve precision, which comes in handy when photographers need to snap “fast, fleeting decisive moments” with their cameras.

Photo by Jun Shen Chia via Eric Kim Street Photography

3. Finally, some video games like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid will definitely hone and improve your stealth capabilities, “helping you approach subjects easier without them noticing you’re there.”

Still, Jun Shen mentions that getting better at street photography is not just about these connections with video games, but also actually going out there in the streets and “lifting a camera to camera to your eye countless times.” Not everyone will agree to the points above, but still a pretty interesting set of observations, don’t you guys think?

Photo by Jun Shen Chia via Eric Kim Street Photography

Intrigued? Check out the full article to read more of Jun Shen’s interesting insights!

All information for this article were taken from Jun Shen Chia’s article on Eric Kim Street Photography.

written by plasticpopsicle

1. kiwikoh

kiwikoh

Gamer + Street Photographer + Lomographer. I'm one of them. LOL

2. johann_affendy

johann_affendy

being a hardcore gamer and lomographer myself, i find this to be a good article!

3. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

@kiwikoh and @johann_affendy I'm a gamer myself (playing mostly RPGs and simulation games though), and I'm constantly surrounded by gamers as well, so I thought this article deserves a feature here! Glad to find some fellow gamer-lomographers!

4. breakingmyself

breakingmyself

As long as we don't shout "BOOM! Headshot!" everything will be ok :P

I did however write 'front toward enemy' on my pinhole camera ^_^

5. esmayrose

esmayrose

I can absolutely see how this applies. Seeing the world on a screen is just as though seeing it through a viewfinder, and your awareness of the contents of that space. Interesting stuff!
  6. esmayrose

esmayrose

*[that space] is heightened.
  7. luobodingr

luobodingr

I'm not a gamer so I feel the link is kind of tenuous but still, have to admit that street photography is one of the hardest aspects of photography to master... and to those special few who do it really really well I am full of praise - be they gamers or not.

8. smu

smu

Hmmm... Depending on the argumentation Military Snipers and Special Forces would have to be the best street Photographers, but I doubt that to be honest. What works in one environment does not need to work in another. Knowing how to sneak buildings in Splinter Cell has nothing to do with sneaking around in a real building. Gaining 100% achievements in Gran Turismo does not give me legitimation to get a racing License. Listening all day to music might raise my ability to identify every chord I hear. But this does not automatically make me a good arranger or guitar player. Sorry, but to me this string of argumentation lacks. I agree that training is the way to sharpen your skills, but I think that just going out, shooting roll after roll and analysing the photos afterwards would do the trick as well...

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 中文(繁體版), ภาษาไทย, 한국어, Deutsch & 中文(简体版).