Black_friday_en

Classic Albums in Lomographs 3: Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon

This classic album documents the passage of a life and the descent into madness. A masterpeice of progressive rock and one of the best selling albums of all time.

Photo via kreativsounds.com

Dark Side of the Moon is arguably Pink Floyd’s greatest album. Its wide soundscape features ideas about greed (Money), the passing of time and life (Time), and mental illness (Eclipse). When it was releasd in 1973, it became an overnight success, topping the American charts for a week, then staying in the charts for 741 weeks, from 1973 until 1988. It’s one of the best selling albums ever, with over 50 million copies sold (of which I’ve owned 3).

Since I was very young, I’ve loved this album. One can’t simply put it on as background music—it commands listening to. If it wasn’t such an experience of an album, its success alone would mark it a classic.

Photo by libellule

Speak To Me: Little more than an introduction, this minute long track already sets the tone and theme. A simple heartbeat, a laugh and a scream. The solitary descent into madness.

Breath (In The Air): The beginning of life, the whole world spread ahead of you with nothing but promise, ‘high you’ll fly’. This lomograph feels open, the world literally this persons oyster.

Photo by yana_roykhman

On The Run: The runner on this track has always signified to me that all is no longer well, the panting feels urgent, like they are running away from something. This pic with its light leaks and the girl throwing things in a bag as she runs feels like an escape. Unfortunatley our protagonist maybe escaping from their sanity.

Photo by lauralaula

Time: This song breaks momentarily from the core flow of the album – unlike many of the tracks it stands alone. It’s also a strange peice with soft verses and a strong solo. The song describes a lifes journey, strong themes of sunsets, the laziness of youth. This images feels like ‘kicking around’, beautiful futility.

Photo by libellule

The Great Gig In The Sky: A strong reference to death, dying and the journey to heaven? This is open to interpretation. I chose this image for the emotion it invokes.

Photo by analogkid

Money: Cold hard cash.

Photo by dogtanian

Us And Them: There have been times where this song brings me close to tears. Clearly an anti-war song. Read the lyrics and you’ve all you need to know.

Photo by kleeblatt

Any Colour You Like: This instrumental gives you no particular clue to a theme or intent. I see it as the winding down of the album, some time to reflect before the impact of the end.

Photo by myloveletter

Brain Damage: The end, the breakdown, the slip into insanity. The impossibility of this image, the look in the girls eyes, everything here feels so wrong it’s right.

Photo by paranoid

Eclipse: Just this once, I wanted to be literal.

Time allowing, next month’s installment will be a special event. Watch this space for more…

Photos by the community, words by Adam Griffiths. Originally from the United Kingdom, Adam now lives in Auckland New Zealand. Stay tuned for more Classic Albums in Lomographs!

written by adam_g2000

1. renenob

renenob

ASTIG!

2. jeffr

jeffr

yessss! great job adam!

3. b0m

b0m

This is great! Very interesting interpretations and nice selection of images.
    I love Pink Floyd, discovered them a few years ago. They are timeless. It's very interesting to discuss music, there's just so many different angles and no right or wrong. Your article deserves thoughts from others. Had i analysed this album more i would give you some of my own thoughts. However, pink floyd are more than just lyrics to me and i'm a sucker for instrumental parts which means i don't listen very carefully to texts. I will now, thanks to you :)

4. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

@b0m One of the great things about Floyd is the lyrics are so sprawling, it made this one a particular challenge as you get three or four themes in one song. Time is basically several vignettes held together by a theme. The Instrumental parts lend themselves very well to identifying the themes through the soundclips. I remember as a small child, maybe 7 or 8, at school one day the teacher put on the album and made us draw what came to mind. If you get the chance, listen to the 3D version of this album, it's one of the rare multichannel albums which is enhanced by it, especially the instrumental pieces.

5. b0m

b0m

@adam_g2000 cool teacher! What did you draw? :)
    It's very interesting because children are susceptible to feelings in a different way than grown ups. I would probably have drawn something like a lonely car or a train but then again, i'm 29, it's not comparable.

I only got 2 speakers but if i find a friend with decent home cinema setup i will try to listen to it. I heard it's good aswell. The engineer that mastered it in 1973 did so in real quadrophonic sound so it's not an afterthought like most other "surround sound", even if that can be good aswell.

6. djramsay

djramsay

great stuff

7. superlighter

superlighter

this album is more than a simple piece of music, it's a great example of modern Art work from the 70's, and don't forget that for many years a lot of people buy this record to test theyr new and sophisticate Hi-Fi equipment! my first listening experience with this record was from a Philips cassette recorder, I remember the sound floating in the space like never heard before, the player was mono but for me and my friends it sounding like 3dimentional. (no drugs!) and Money was also great to dance in discoteques like also Us and Them, when the slows tunes are still played in discos.