Adam Yauch aka MCA Climbing a Cinema Marquee With the Help of the Other Beastie Boys

"I shouldn't have logged on to the internet today…" that was my initial response when reading the news about Adam Yauch last Friday. The Beastie Boys have been around for as long as I can remember and even though they've matured over the years, they always remained young in my eyes. These are the reasons why MCA's death came as such a shock to me.

Photo via 1 Dope Boy

Read more about Adam Yauch on Pitchfork, our friends at Mubi are streaming Fight For Your Right Revisited for free, if you have some time to spend browse through 170 Beastie Boys references explained, watch this awesome live performance of Sabotage with him on bass, hear him singing on I Don’t Know (not an official video), see some never before seen photos by Glen E. Friedman, … This list could go on and on. Please share your favorite Beastie Boys or Adam Yauch moments in the comments.

Update: as written this morning, this lis could go on and on. Here are even more links: read a great write-up on Kottke by Aaron Cohen, watch how parents were terrified of the Beastie Boys back in 1986, Charlie Rose’s conversation with the Beastie Boys and see an unaired performance from Chappelle’s ShowYes, and here we have the various bridges. You can look over there in the distance, there’s the Statue of Liberty. And to my left – oh shit! The Beastie Boys.

RIP Adam Yauch. Thanks for the Beastie Boys, Grand Royal, Oscilloscope and Nathanial Hörnblowér.

written by recurving

1. marcus-gwiasda

marcus-gwiasda

"No sleep till Brooklyn" ... the kings of the 5 Burroughs will live forever...
  2. earlybird

earlybird

i am a proud owner of nearly 100 loved Beastie Boys vinyls and i saw them three times live. they made the soundtrack of my live, it´s so sad....

3. guanatos

guanatos

sad news indeed man... but we'll always have his records to live on...

4. sushifer

sushifer

I know just what you mean about them seeming eternally young. Listening to them always makes me feel young, too. And like earlybird, they are a major part of the soundtrack of my life. I was, and remain, shocked and saddened by his death. Really nice tribute- love the linkage.
  5. superlighter

superlighter

One of the best things happened in the 80's music scene, unique and inimitable, their greatest achievement was to have approached the people of the rock to hip-hop and black music in general.
    R.I.P. Adam

6. volker-jp

volker-jp

...make some noise !!!!! RIP

7. tallgrrlrocks

tallgrrlrocks

I still cannot believe Adam Y. is gone. To me, with the rest of BB, they are immortal. A beautiful tribute article!

8. recurving

recurving

I've updated the article and added some more links… and thanks to everyone for your nice words!

9. basch75

basch75

beastie boys. live at loreley "rockpalast" festival june 98. MCA and little me backstage at the catering. he passed me a plate while waiting for food. nice guy. inspiring idol. http://www.youtube.c(…)i6E8gm3axuw

10. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

R.I.P M.C.A

11. djramsay

djramsay

very sad

12. bloomchen

bloomchen

back in the 80s it was popular at least in my school to order vinyl with a lot of friends at some strange shop. the guy sending in the order got free records and the amount of free records grew with the amount the others ordered. that´s were i got my first beastie boys vinyl from: no sleep till brooklyn (4 track maxi single) - one with a white cover. that´s when i fell in love with the band. it was one of those bands i didn´t have to upfront listen to the record before buying it. so i grew older with them and can still listen to their records. later on my brother broke the maxi-single and threw it away. i was really pissed. and i remember i bought two or three vinyls of the beastie boys (and a ramones record) and brought them to a friend of mine as a gift - a french guy in southern france - when i was around 16 to introduce to him but he didn´t like it. he must still have the records i think.
    i now get a bit melancholic when watching old bboys videos.