Lomoinstant_en

American Masters: Bob Dylan

On this edition of American Masters, we’ll be talking about Bob Dylan’s contributions to the music industry in the span of 5 decades. Read more after the break.

Photo via Samson’s Diner

Robert Allen Zimmerman came into popularity in the 1960’s. He dropped out of college and went to New York City in the hopes of being successful as a musician there. He played in various clubs around the city and also listened to different folk singers who became his musical inspirations. In 1962, he legally changed his name to Bob Dylan. His first album consisting of folk and blues music was also released that same year.

Two of Bob Dylan’s most popular songs (Blowin’ in the Wind, The Times They Are a-Changin), came out in the 1960’s at a time when there was social unrest. These powerful songs moved the people and instantly became anti-war anthems. Dylan is said to have a writing style that infuses poetry and literature. He adds the lyrics to an equally strong melody to come up with the songs. To this day, other musicians cite Bob Dylan as their musical inspiration.

Bob Dylan’s life is chronicled in a documentary entitled No Direction Home: Bob Dylan, a Martin Scorsese film. The film shows his life from 1961-1966 and also includes scenes and performances that were never shown to the public before.

Sources for this article include PBS and Wikipedia.

American Masters pays tribute to some of the best artists who have contributed award-winning works in their respective fields. Read more articles on the American Masters series.

written by jeanmendoza

1. pfingstroeschen

pfingstroeschen

Bob ♥♥♥

2. buckshot

buckshot

This man single-handedly created folk-rock music, which has been a major part of the soundtrack of my life and my dreams, so I owe him eternal respect. It's really good to see these great portraits of him on the lomography website. Thank you @jeanmendoza...!

3. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

@buckshot - you certainly have a look of a young Bob D about you!
    I love Dylan!

4. buckshot

buckshot

(Sorry for the typo - the iPad keyboard sucks!)

5. buckshot

buckshot

@kneehigh85 Thank you, sweetheart - your comment has made my day! In return, here's one of my favourite Dyaln quotes for you: "At dawn my lover comes to me and tells me of her dreams, with no attempt to shovel a glimpse into the ditch of what each one means."

6. buckshot

buckshot

@kneehigh Yep, it's called 'Gates of Eden', and was the B-side of 'Like a Rolling Stone', released in 1965. Both amazing songs - and much better than the overrated 'Blowin' in the Wind' ;-)

7. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

@buckshot I can't think what song this is from but I think it is on the same vinyl as Like a Rolling Stone (single I think?). I have the words "tangled up" in blue tattooed on my arm.

8. jeanmendoza

@buckshot there's another article I wrote with Bob Dylan photos, you might want to check it out :) http://www.lomography.com/magazine/lifestyle/2012/03/30/behind-the-lens-barry-feinstein

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch, ภาษาไทย, Português, 中文(简体版), 한국어, Italiano & 中文(繁體版).