Secondhand Love Affair: My Olympus Trip 35

There she was, gleaming at me at that tiny shop window, waiting for me to go inside, pick her up and take her home. It was that tiny rangefinder camera was waiting for me all along.

Photo by guanatos

Last summer, I went back home to Mexico for a month. I was eager to see my family and friends, but there was another thing I had planned: hunt for second hand treasures downtown.

When I lived in Guadalajara, there was a neighborhood downtown that was famous for having a bunch of shops where you could find a good bargain on second hand cameras and accessories. The problem is, nowadays these shops have turned to the “dark side” and only sell digital cameras. I was so upset when I realized my plans had been crushed…

Suddenly, when I was ready to leave, I found a tiny shop on a corner street with loads of analogue cameras on the window! Could it be? Was that really happening? Could this be an analogue oasis in the middle of the digital dessert?

Yes! This tiny shop is analogue paradise for second hand treasure hunters! I looked through their stock: loads of reflex cameras, but I was looking for a rangefinder camera. Then it hit me, a small glimpse in the corner of my eye and there it was, a beautiful Olympus Trip 35 in perfect condition waiting for me to take her home and embark on a whole new adventure.

After a few bargaining moments, that little jewel was mine and this is how my second hand love affair started!

Lomo-Love-On!

Thrift stores are treasure troves for vintage-lovers. Do you have something from a thrift store that remains close to your heart? Share your ‘Secondhand Love Affair’ stories with us by submitting an article and check out our requested posts for this month for more Piggies!

written by guanatos

1. jourdanlynch

jourdanlynch

YEY I got one of these haha... £4 at a charity store!

2. guanatos

guanatos

3. gvelasco

gvelasco

Great find. The Trip 35 is an interesting camera for several reasons. One interesting thing I've seen people do is trick it into very low light photography by setting the aperture on f/2.8 and using 800 ASA or faster film. Setting the aperture to anything other than auto fixes the shutter speed at 1/40". Normally this isn't good because it will overexpose your daylight pictures, but it turns out that in very low light the aperture is big enough and the shutter speed slow enough so that you can actually get some decent results if you use a fast or very fast film. When you set the aperture manually, the camera isn't attempting to set the aperture based on film speed, so you can use any speed film you want to. It would be cool to put some super-fast 3200 ASA film in there and shoot some night pix just to see what you get.

4. guanatos

guanatos

@gvelasco thanks!
    I've tried it with low light conditions and I'm waiting for the results...
    I do agree on the 3200 ASA, that would be awesome!

5. rbruce63

rbruce63

Your I ctures are outstanding, specially the portrait of the lovely girl hiding part of her face and showing only her eyes. Very mysterious and sexy! Great picture!

6. guanatos

guanatos

@rbruce63 thanks a lot!

7. mscagli1

mscagli1

The Trip is pretty sweet. I've seen a bunch of ways to "trick" the Trip into doing some cool things: low light, double exposures... My grandma gave me her old one - apparently 44 years old - and it still works Iike a charm. Great article and shots!

8. guanatos

guanatos

@mscagli1 I agree it's one of those cameras that are great to carry around with you, they're handy and light! thanks glad you liked the artcile!

9. af-capture

af-capture

Gracias guanatos por el article. Nice camera

10. guanatos

guanatos

@af-capture gracias ti por el comentario :)

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Français.