James Dean was best known for his role as a troubled teen on the 1955 movie 'Rebel Without a Cause'. Apart from his good looks and impeccable acting skills, what else do you know about him? Read on to learn more.
James Dean started his acting career when he dropped out of college and decided to take acting full time. He first starred in a Pepsi commercial but this didn’t immediately boost his career. He tried to apply for jobs to support himself. He eventually left California and went to New York City to try his luck there. He finally scored some roles in television shows and even landed a starring role on his first movie in 1953.
- James Dean was an auto racing enthusiast that’s why he bought one of the Porsche Spyder sports car released in 1955 – the same car he was driving when he got into the car crash that killed him.
- His favorite book was ‘The Little Prince’ by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
- He is one of the few actos who received an Oscar nomination for two of his films.
- James Dean’s idol was Marlon Brando.
- He suffered from near-sightedness and had to wear glasses off screen.
- He had a Siamese cat given to him by Elizabeth Taylor.
- James Dean was nominated for an Oscar for 2 of the 3 films that he made in his lifetime.
- Only a few hours before his death, James Dean was given a ticket for speeding.
- James Dean majored in pre-law at a city college before being an actor.
- He did an infomercial for safe-driving shortly before he died.
Here are some photos of James Dean: