Cary Grant was an English actor known for his good looks, making him one of the most exceptional leading men during his time. Apart from his charm, what else do you know about him? Let’s find out more about this charming man after the break.
Archibald Alexander Leach, or Cary Grant, was born in Bristol, England in 1904 but later took citizenship in the United States. Many know him for being the leading man in several films, acting across noted leading ladies, such as Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren among others. Get to know more about this dashing debonaire with some fast facts:
- Cary Grant starred in 72 films throughout his career, excluding movies in which he had cameo appearances.
- He was married 5 times .
- Cary Grant started his career as an acrobat when he ran away from home at the age of 13 and joined an English acrobatic troupe. His other jobs before being an actor included being a juggler and a lifeguard.
- There was always a piece of twine in Cary Grant’s pocket to remind him of the time when he had nothing.
- Although he starred in many feature films, Cary Grant never won an Oscar for Best Actor.
- A statue of Cary Grant stands at Millennium Square at Bristol, England, his hometown.
- Faberge, a cosmetics company, got Cary Grant as a creative consultant. He eventually became a member of the board of directors for the company.
- He maintained his skin tan to avoid having to wear makeup.
- Cary Grant suffered from near-sightedness and had to wear glasses when he wasn’t in front of the camera.
- In all his years acting in front of the camera, he never once played a villain.
Here are some photos of Cary Grant: