Celebrated singer and actor Frank Sinatra would have turned 96 yesterday. Many recognize him for his voice and good looks but there is more than what meets the eye. Get to know more about the legendary Frank Sinatra after the break.
Frank Sinatra was born on December 12, 1915. He was the only child of Natalie Garaventa and Antonio Sintara, who were Italian immigrants. Sinatra wasn’t able to finish high school as he was expelled for his disorderly conduct. As an adolescent, Sinatra’s mother provided him with all that he wanted and more. When he was 23 years old, he was arrested for having a relationship with an older woman and this was considered illegal. Amidst all the troubles that he faced as a child, one thing remained constant – his love for music.
Let’s get to know more about Frank Sinatra with some fast facts:
- Frank Sinatra had several nicknames including ‘Ol’ Blue Eyes’, ‘Frankie’ and ‘The Voice’.
- He was of Sicilian and Italian descent.
- Frank Sinatra met his wife Nancy Barbato 10 years before he married her.
- He was able to record 1,414 songs in the studio in the span of his career.
- Frank Sinatra had at least one song included on the music charts each year from 1945 to 1995.
- Probably two of his most popular songs are “My Way” and “New York, New York”.
- His first singing group was called “The Three Flashes”.
- Frank Sinatra owned a truck company where Elvis Presley worked as a young man.
- On the opening day of Disneyland, Frank Sinatra attended and rode the Autopia, a special car-track attraction in the park.
- He starred in 56 movies and television specials from 1944 to 1984.
Here are some photos of Frank Sinatra by photographer Phil Stern: